Flying through rain

If your panels aren't warped, the old sealant is completely cleaned off, new sealant is applied, and your screws all hold properly, you shouldn't have any problems with leakage.  Oh, and make sure the drain holes are open so if moisture does make it through the first seal it has someplace to get back out.  :)

I trust that most everyone on this vintage list has their box of 3M Strip Caulk.  It is black and sticky but I think it is the only thing that does the job.  I make sure it is on both borders of screw holes on the two instrument access panels.  If you do not have a box already, buy two (Aircraft Spruce).  Carry a little in a plastic bag in the airplane.  You may be able to reshape it once, but you usually need some extra for a sure seal. 

Early in my Mooney ownership, I purchased some magic white foam sheet from Norm Smith (rest his soul) for this application.  I took off from Williamsburg, VA after a rain storm.  The water had poured through and flooded the big intake vac filter just below the panel.  As I climbed out both the AH and the Gyro Compass began to foam up inside their transparent fronts.  The rebuild/replacement of both cost me about $1700.  Since that time I am a firm follower of  the 3M Caulk and never mind the mess. 

I flew through some pretty good rain a few weeks ago and seemed to get some water drops on the top of my comm panel. Water and electricity obviously don't mix. Any suggestions of how I can tighten up the "water tightness" on my avionics access panels?

Are you based near Landmark?  I think I saw your Mooney on the ramp.  I am here (KCHS) on a trip till Sunday.  Wanted to eat at Halls Chophouse but no such luck........packed solid today and tomorrow.  You don't happen to own that joint do ya?  LOL

Are you based near Landmark?  I think I saw your Mooney on the ramp.  I am here (KCHS) on a trip till Sunday.  Wanted to eat at Halls Chophouse but no such luck........packed solid today and tomorrow.  You don't happen to own that joint do ya?  LOL

Halls is great but Rarebit, Oak, High cotten, Coast, FIG, Husk, Poogins Poarch, and Basil are all pretty damn good. My plane is a couple doors down, but the one at Landmark is pretty damn nice. Going to Sun-N-Fun?

jetdriven- you might have a very good point!  Something to think about. Cost/benefit ratio not bad.

I too use closed cell foam tape 1/4  X 1/8  and I sit outside but so far no issues with some big downpours. 

I do replace it every 2 years though. Quick and easy.

Home Depot. Works pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not for me.

I will use that on the frame side of the door for a better windproof seal, but not on my cover for the avionics bay. I too have had water coming in during flight through rain.  I use the 3M (sticky-as-hell-and-makes-a-mess) caulking.  Clarence got his guys to show me the correct method of application because it was not done right the previous time.

One of those "never again" moments.

I was in a monsoon a couple of weeks ago in my M20B. Lost both com radios and #1 nav along with glideslope in solid IMC. I didn't realize I had lost communications until I tried to let ATC know that I had lost partial power due to carb ice. Ended up finding an alternate airport using my VFR gps. Spent lots of extra money renting a car, wife not happy. My com radios and nav dried out and worked the next day. My fuel flow guage is dead after this event.

Lessons learned:

Buy calk

Buy handheld

• Like 1

Before my 201 windshield was installed, I too dealt with the problem of leaking panels stuck down with extremely messy black tar like sealer. I cleaned all the old goop completely off of the panels and reapplied a wide bead of silicone followed by a strip of Saran wrap. I then reinstalled the panels and allowed the silicone to cure before removing panels to trim the Saran wrap. The silicone made a form fitted seal on the panels that could be removed and reused without the mess. I never saw moisture on avionics again!

Not for me.

I will use that on the frame side of the door for a better windproof seal, but not on my cover for the avionics bay. I too have had water coming in during flight through rain. I use the 3M (sticky-as-hell-and-makes-a-mess) caulking. Clarence got his guys to show me the correct method of application because it was not done right the previous time.

One of those "never again" moments.

Use whatever works for you. I can tell you that this works if properly applied. before i used this I would get a few drops of water in my feet while flying through rain. Since i went to this I have never had water intrusion into the avionics bay again and I have flown through a lot of rain. Coming back from south florida a few weeks ago I was in the rain for over one hour. Not a drop!! I got sick of dealing with the sticky goo. It made a mess every time I opened those panels and if you did not reapply again inevitably you end up with a leak somewhere. I have no doubt that it works, its just too much work fro me.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 3/28/2014 at 7:31 PM, Hector said:

Home Depot. Works pretty well.

post-10018-13960530460319_thumb.jpg

post-10018-13960530664916_thumb.jpg

@Hector, this seal looks like it has sticky tape that you stick to either (1) the aircraft or (2) the panels?  I'm guessing you stick it on the aircraft between the screw holes and the avionics bay opening? What do you do in the middle where there is a gap between the panels that is covered by that smaller metal piece?  Anything special?

[mention=10018]Hector[/mention], this seal looks like it has sticky tape that you stick to either (1) the aircraft or (2) the panels?  I'm guessing you stick it on the aircraft between the screw holes and the avionics bay opening? What do you do in the middle where there is a gap between the panels that is covered by that smaller metal piece?  Anything special?

I put some under the middle piece too. Like Raptor said, don’t tape over the rain channel/groove. The tape easily splits down the middle (it is build so you can do that easily). In some area you will only need to use half the tape width in others the full tape width works better. I apply it over the screw holes then come back and use an owl to poke a hole on the tape over the screw holes. The tape is very flexible so you’ll never actually leave a hole in it unless you use a hole punch, but you don’t need to. The screw will find the hole and it will keep from tearing the tape as it goes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hector said:

I put some under the middle piece too. Like Raptor said, don’t tape over the rain channel/groove. The tape easily splits down the middle (it is build so you can do that easily). In some area you will only need to use half the tape width in others the full tape width works better. I apply it over the screw holes then come back and use an owl to poke a hole on the tape over the screw holes. The tape is very flexible so you’ll never actually leave a hole in it unless you use a hole punch, but you don’t need to. The screw will find the hole and it will keep from tearing the tape as it goes in.

@Hector you don't by chance have photos of your a/c with the panels off so I can see how you installed the weatherstripping do you?    I went to HD this evening and they don't have it, but I can get it off Amazon.

I did order some of the 3M black "La Brea Tar Pits on a String" stuff.   In the 90-degree F hangar today it would not release from the paper in the packaging.   That stuff looks like something from the exorcist.   I'm afraid to touch it for fear of having it seep into my body lick that black stuff in the X-Files.   I'm going to go with your weatherstripping idea.

I did fashion a plastic rain cover for my radio stack from a disposable paint tray.  It wedged in nicely between the two air duct scat hoses.

[mention=10018]Hector[/mention] you don't by chance have photos of your a/c with the panels off so I can see how you installed the weatherstripping do you?    I went to HD this evening and they don't have it, but I can get it off Amazon.
I did order some of the 3M black "La Brea Tar Pits on a String" stuff.   In the 90-degree F hangar today it would not release from the paper in the packaging.   That stuff looks like something from the exorcist.   I'm afraid to touch it for fear of having it seep into my body lick that black stuff in the X-Files.   I'm going to go with your weatherstripping idea.
I did fashion a plastic rain cover for my radio stack from a disposable paint tray.  It wedged in nicely between the two air duct scat hoses.

Thought I did but could not find it. I’ll be at the airport tomorrow and will take a picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hector said:

e8e1863c9486829a91d6239b50d2a430.jpg

This is an awl: image.png.75298b33d0a7e46aabf3371147037a2b.png

This is an owl: image.png.3fa8c98eaa96f9733e02e23bd3846c50.png

Come to think of it, I guess you could use an owl, but I think an awl would be more precise and no chance of any animal cruelty violations.

You are allowed to use an owl on feathering a prop, but there's an Airworthiness Directive that says you have to replace the owl each time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Also, if your plane sits outside you should really get a cover for it. I keep mine in a hangar but when I travel the cover goes on anytime the plane sits outside overnight. My cover is made specially for my C and it extends forward just enough to cover these panels. That being said, here in Florida we get rain all the time and I fly through it occasionally and sealing the panels as I have shown works, as long as you replace any damaged weather strip.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Come to think of it, I guess you could use an owl, but I think an awl would be more precise and no chance of any animal cruelty violations.

I'm in favor of using a spotted owl... ;)

• Like 1