Pacific Coast Avionics

dfgreene61

Nah, I just use a trick my Bo transition CFI taught me.  Imaginary ring around the airplane - an arc that goes from wing tip to nose to wing tip.  Anything within that circle is within gliding distance.  Tried it a few times from different altitudes and it works.  Did the simulated engine failure from 6,000 agl and 12 miles from an airport for my commercial ticket and landed it right on the numbers. I almost always have an airport or suitable field within that imaginary circle.  
Only thing that messes that up is flying IMC or above a layer, then I plan my routes a little more carefully.  
Brian

ForeFlight has a great presentation of glide range that takes in consideration of altitude, topography, and Best Glide Speed. There are times when I alter my course a bit to keep airports in their “ring”, which is usually odd shaped here out in the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Had an ADS-B KT-74 install with an existing G530W.  They invoiced the unit at $100 over the listed sale price IIRC, which I thought was fine. 

They estimated 16 hours of install time, and, lo and behold, charged me for 16 hours of install time, even though I instructed them not to change the tray and not to hook up all the optional wiring.  I also had my A&P run the RG-400 from the transponder tray previously.  Their explanation was that the install took closer to 40 hours, what with all the fiddling with wiring and taking apart the instrument panel, even without the tray change and optional wiring, but they would honor the estimate of 16 hours.

Still, the work was done well and timely, and no significant hiccups with the install

Had essentially the same done on my J to my 430W. No extra wiring, same tray and had the shop install a wire for the new 406 ELT I was going to add. Dropped it off at 8:00 AM and got a call about 3:45 PM the same day saying it was ready. Maybe mine was a lot simpler, but I am not sure it could be 4 days simpler....

Passed the ADS-B Out test first time.

5 hours ago, Bennett said:

ForeFlight has a great presentation of glide range that takes in consideration of altitude, topography, and Best Glide Speed. There are times when I alter my course a bit to keep airports in their “ring”, which is usually odd shaped here out in the West.

What's ForeFlight.....??  :lol::ph34r:

Used to live in Reno, so know all about the western mountains,  I do miss flying out there....  :(

What's ForeFlight.....??  :lol:
Used to live in Reno, so know all about the western mountains,  I do miss flying out there.... 

ForeFlight. An excellent aviation program (iPad/iPhone app) that includes numerous data bases, mapping, weather, and much more. I run ForeFlight on an iPad Mini 4, yoke mounted, as a supplement to my GTNs.

16 minutes ago, Bennett said:

ForeFlight. An excellent aviation program (iPad/iPhone app) that includes numerous data bases, mapping, weather, and much more. I run ForeFlight on an iPad Mini 4, yoke mounted, as a supplement to my GTNs.

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky with the response...I'm a FlyQ person myself, so no need for FF....  ;) 

Never liked FF much, but that's just my personal feelings, nothing more, nothing less.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky with the response...I'm a FlyQ person myself, so no need for FF....   
Never liked FF much, but that's just my personal feelings, nothing more, nothing less. 

I’ve tried most of the mapping programs, but in my opinion (not shared by everyone) ForeFlight does just about everything I want, and thanks to Garmin, traffic and weather appear on the Mini 4, along with flight plans imputed via the GTN 750. The relatively new glide range presentation is quite impressive, and I think it is one of the best features of FF.

On a recent flight from Austin to Vegas I found myself on the back side of Humphreys Peak just to the north of Flagstaff, AZ. It was about 10pm and I was at 16K ft. I've flown this route a few times but am always over Flagstaff on the south side of the mountain. Of course, between Vegas and Flagstaff you're always over the highway. There might have been just a little of that "auto rough" in the engine as I went behind the mountain, in the dark, and saw the glide ring on FF indicating that FLG was out of range. I also knew that there was nothing below me but forest it all directions.

I like FF and agree the glide ring is one of the best features.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions on Avoinics shops, and apologies for the slow reply.  Darn thing called a job got in the way.