This sucks!

Lood

I've been an AOPA member for two or three years, but last year I decided it would be better to join our local AOPA here in South Africa - AOPA SA.

About two weeks ago, I got a text message from my bank, saying that X amount has been reserved from my credit card, as membership renewal fee to AOPA. I was a little bit annoyed by this as I would at least expect AOPA to inform me beforehand of their intention to automatically renew my membership.

So, I sent them an e-mail, explaining that I am now a member of AOPA SA and that I would not like to renew my membership with them. I also expressed my dissatisfaction with them just going ahead and renewing my membership without my consent.

I am sad to say that to date, I have only received an automated reply, thanking me for contacting AOPA.

Today, I logged onto the AOPA website and went into my profile to see if there might be a way for me to cancel this auto-renew. Strange enough, I could only find an option where I could update my credit card information, which will probably again be used to auto-renew my membership next year.

So, how do I go about to let AOPA know that I no longer want to be a member and is it indeed true that I do not have the option to not have my membership automatically renewed?

Ok, I just updated my credit card info on AOPA.

login

click on My Account in the upper right corner of the screen. 

in the new window you will see your account info.

Name, AOPA customer number, address, phone number etc.

below that is Current AOPA Membership

next is Membership Information to the right of this is Automatic Annual Renewal, under this heading is a link "Update AAR Card Information"

Click on the link, a new window with your CC data allows you change everything.

under my account, hit renew:

Current AOPA Membership
Membership Expires user1.gif AOPA Regular Membership Subscription Benefit: AOPA Pilot - Print Edition   8/31/2014

there is the option to turn off auto renewal there

Automatic Annual Renewal Sub Total: $0.00 Automatic Annual Renewal   <td width="2%" valign="top" "="" align="left" style="border: 0px; outline: 0px;"> List Price-FREE   By enrolling in Automatic Annual Renewal you agree to allow AOPA to automatically charge your annual membershp dues and optional services to your credit card in your renewal month. Authorization will remain in effect until you notify AOPA otherwise. A $4 discount will be applied to your next year's renewal payment.

None

I get annoyed at AOPA for this sort of thing (sorry will this be an AOPA bashing session?)

I got a heart felt personal message from the president of AOPA to "Eric Bullt" (not I am Erik Bollt) telling me how important my membership is and I should renew for another year.  Luckily I lost my credit card last year, had it cancelled so I have a new credit card number.

I will renew….but dang if they cannot keep things straight - they used to know my name.  

Erik, they probably did a software update with new Apple-like spellcheck features. You know, the one that automatically changes what you type unless you tell it not to. I much prefer my Droid spell check, which leaves what I write while suggesting options, which may be selected or ignored.

I have also been unsuccessful in stopping my AOPA auto-renew, but my CC expires next year and I will revert to annual at that time.

When I get frustrated dealing with websites that are not easy to dis-enroll I will update my credit card information with a 'typo' on the number or expiration date......

A few years ago I called AOPA and told them to take me off the auto renew as they were renewing much too soon (a pet peeve of mine) and I wanted to review my options each year. They were very helpful and took me off the auto renew.

Jim

Take comfort that if you were to expire prematurely, AOPA might keep you on the rolls in perpetuity.  Albeit at some cost to your heirs. 

Hah - if I win the sweepstakes airplane after I expire - I will be mad.

Erik, they probably did a software update with new Apple-like spellcheck features. You know, the one that automatically changes what you type unless you tell it not to. I much prefer my Droid spell check, which leaves what I write while suggesting options, which may be selected or ignored.

My friends call me Siri.

It was really funny ironic the Eric Bullt thing in a letter that was over the top trying to be a personalized email to me.

I bet they have outsourced membership collections, management?

No doubt!

• Like 1

I get annoyed at AOPA for this sort of thing (sorry will this be an AOPA bashing session?)

I got a heart felt personal message from the president of AOPA to "Eric Bullt" (not I am Erik Bollt) telling me how important my membership is and I should renew for another year.  Luckily I lost my credit card last year, had it cancelled so I have a new credit card number.

I will renew….but dang if they cannot keep things straight - they used to know my name.

They're too busy flying that Citation around and protesting turbine user fees.

AOPA ask for my updated credit card info, the old one expired. I was on auto renewal, and was not going to renew. After a few weeks they billed my credit card, without the updated info, I sent an email to member services telling them I will not be renewing and that is why I did not give the updated info. They  credited my credit card. (all was done through email).  

It is a better personal business policy to approve every expense, than to allow some to go on auto pilot...

Ask any of the east coast Target shoppers...

My buddy told me today of somebody logging multiple purchases @ approx $400 at a time. Several thousand missing on the one card...

Times have changed. The credit card is poorly protected...

Best regards,

-a-

No option to cancel the auto renew, only to update CC details. I followed the steps given above and this is the only option:

"You are currently participating in the Automatic Annual Renewal program. Please take a moment to update your card if necessary. Thank you!

To cancel participation, please call member services at 800-USA-AOPA."

So, the only way seems to make the international call...

Lood, for a short time I had "double membership" for some reason and was being billed for two separate accounts.  A quick phone call was all it took.  The lady was nice and with my permission she applied the paid dues to a single membership and deleted the other.  It's unfortunate that it can't be done on line easily, but it's worth a direct email or phone call to get it fixed.

Ok, here's some feedback. I received a reply, by e-mail, from AOPA, in which they explained the auto enrollment situation. The lady was very friendly and have already refunded me and rectified the situation by removing me from the auto renewal.

I'm happy - well done and thanks to AOPA.

• Like 1