kfc-150 repair

jimbrod

My m20k has the kfc-150 flight control system - today after putting in six new cylinders and a new engine monitor, while taking the plane home from the shop and bemoaning the new state of my bank account, the autopilot decided to commence to rock and roll - the deviations are slight, but bothersome. It will track the heading just fine, it just "Hunts" wile doing it. The rolls are slight, maybe 2 degrees to each side. Anyone having experience this, can you tell me a good shop for kfc repair, and what was the issue?  Thanks.

+2 Autopilots Central

The big problem with autopilot problems is that there are multiple systems involved and the failure point or error resulting in your issues could be anywhere.  Best thing to make a detailed listing of all symptoms of what is happening in all modes of A/P use...including for example everything that works just right.  So when you call, they can quickly zero in on potential areas. 

In my one experience with them - they quickly (but preliminarily) diagnosed over the phone what the problem was with mine (it was "hunting in VS and Alt" - said it was likely a cold solder in the computer) although they had to see the plane to confirm.  Turns out they were 100% correct on the phone diagnosis...and this was after the AP computer and altimeter had previously been sent to Honeywell for bench checks (and of course they found nothing but still charged me $$$ - and AP Central found the problem was in the computer!!!). 

Do not wasted time and money elsewhere...call the guys in Tulsa first.  It might be an easy fix and not requiring a shop visit to them.

(Btw, if you can't tell, I am still mad about all the time and dollars spent tracking down my AP problem...and not just with Honeywell.  Also worked with a "so called" AP shop in California, sent the pitch and trim servos out for adjustment to some other shop, Attitude Indicator for O/H, etc.  Total waste of money and time except for finally calling Tulsa and having them fix it.  This all happened over the course of two years in 2004-2005 and the A/P has worked fine since then although it's getting a bit fuzzy lately in following NAV courses...may have to go back to Tulsa!)

• Like 1

+2 Autopilots Central

The big problem with autopilot problems is that there are multiple systems involved and the failure point or error resulting in your issues could be anywhere.  Best thing to make a detailed listing of all symptoms of what is happening in all modes of A/P use...including for example everything that works just right.  So when you call, they can quickly zero in on potential areas. 

In my one experience with them - they quickly (but preliminarily) diagnosed over the phone what the problem was with mine (it was "hunting in VS and Alt" - said it was likely a cold solder in the computer) although they had to see the plane to confirm.  Turns out they were 100% correct on the phone diagnosis...and this was after the AP computer and altimeter had previously been sent to Honeywell for bench checks (and of course they found nothing but still charged me $$$ - and AP Central found the problem was in the computer!!!). 

Do not wasted time and money elsewhere...call the guys in Tulsa first.  It might be an easy fix and not requiring a shop visit to them.

(Btw, if you can't tell, I am still mad about all the time and dollars spent tracking down my AP problem...and not just with Honeywell.  Also worked with a "so called" AP shop in California, sent the pitch and trim servos out for adjustment to some other shop, Attitude Indicator for O/H, etc.  Total waste of money and time except for finally calling Tulsa and having them fix it.  This all happened over the course of two years in 2004-2005 and the A/P has worked fine since then although it's getting a bit fuzzy lately in following NAV courses...may have to go back to Tulsa!)

I am based in san antonio and was hoping for a closer place, but I can see the wisdom of going where they fix the right thing the first time. I will give them a call and then report back on my experience to this topic.  Thanks to all who participated.

• 2 months later...

dropped the plane off at autopilot central. They did a "ramp check" of the autopilot and quickly uncovered several other problems that I had just been living with. Thinks like "sticky disconnect", and issues with the pitch. In any case, into the shop it went and out came the components. They have a good group of professionals who obviously understand this autopilot and have probably seen it all. I ended up with 3 new servo motors, and overhaul to my gyros, and some computer fixes. The thing is now a much better pilot than I am (not saying much there), but in any case, my hats off to these guys , they really know this product and they are very upfront with what is required (time and money) to fix it.

jimbrod,

Your plane is in good hands. I had an intermittent KFC-150 A/P issue where the plane would abruptly pitch up very randomly. I took it to 4 different avionics shops over a 3-year period, each telling me they knew exactly what the problem was. I spent over $4000 with these "expert" avionics shops, & NONE of them fixed the problem. It wasn't until someone told me about Autopilot Central, that the problem was fixed after it was there over a week. It ended up being a slip ring that was cracked in the KI-256.

Another good shop is Sarasota Avionics (Sarasota location). Larry is an expert there with Autopilots. He's fixed my A/P issues more than once, & has all the test equipment etc.

I'm glad A/P Central got you all fixed up! They are not cheap though, but I think anything to do with A/P's can get expensive real fast.

Its funny how all 3 servos needed overhaul, or how many servos that come through there need overhauled. They are a great shop, but I have a hard time thinking that all 3 servos were shot at the same time.