Suggestions for Boston

PMcClure

May be going to Boston Sat-Wednesday. Any suggestions on best airports, FBO's etc... I will be working downtown at the Seafood Show and have a quick stop in Charlotte on the way up from Birmingham Saturday. Thank you for any suggestions or comments. 

KOWD looks like the easiest option. Good to hear good mooneyspace recommendations. What is your experience in KBOS? Looks very expensive and I haven't done that busy of a field before. but, it sure would be the most convenient! 

I live and work in the area.  Norwood is your best choice.  1/2 hour drive to Boston.  There is also a train from Norwood (Commuter MBTA train) to Boston but you would need a cab 2 miles to the train stop.  Norwood airport has rental cars.   There are many nearby restaraunt and hotels.  Nice FBA and restaraunt on the field.  Stay away from Bedford - much more expensive with MASSPORT involved.   Also stay away from BOS for obvious reasons - much more expensive.

You can give me a ring if you wish - my cell is (617) 877-0025.

John Breda

I work in Boston but have never flown in. Norwood KOWD would be my choice coming up from the south. Its about a mile from an Amtrak station which would be a good way to get in (parking is a pain in Boston so I avoid using my car there and take the rail). I've always heard that its no fun flying into Logan International with a small plane. There is an FBO that get very mixed reviews. Punitive landing fee of about $70. Enough to keep me away. If you want the challenge of going into a major busy Class B airport Logan has a stop on the subway system (blue line). Boston is an annoying city to drive in (not laid out in grid; lots of one-way streets; too much traffic) but with a bit of homework and reconnaissance its doable. Parking at premium. Not a bad walking city so I use subway and hike about. Used to drive. Lots of young people with all the colleges and universitys. Good pub crawling.

KOWD sounds like the winner. But I won't rent an Avis car (long but interesting story). So I will see if I can get a ride over to the train station and then into town. 

Boston is one of my favorite cities, and the show is a great venue. I have never flown before, but I am hoping to do it this time. WX looks like a good break on Sat afternoon and then again Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll give you a trip report.

John, you are based at KOWD? My first plane was a 68F. Hope you are enjoying it!

Just made the no go decision for high, gusty winds, possible ice and a fluid forecast situation and unknown conditions for return.  I don't know about you but days like today make deciding to go or not most difficult. No one item crossed any personal minimums except icing which is forecasted to end this afternoon.  But combined with the mission pressure and cheap air fare on Delta, I decided to land at KBOS with the heavy iron. Thanks for your advice, hope to return later this summer!