Malaysian Flight Hijacked?

I notice that when I charge my iphone either from on board 12v cig lighter or a remote battery back it will cause the squelch to break on both the king and gtn650. If I wrap the charge cord around the battery and put it In the back seat it's fine....same for yoke mounted mini...anyone else notice this?

Experts say that if the plane crashed into the ocean then some debris should be floating on the surface even if most of the jet is submerged. Experience shows that finding the wreckage can take weeks or even longer, especially if the location of the plane is in doubt. A strange and rare occurrence, no doubt, but come on guys.

In the meantime....mass hysteria, and unfounded conspiracy theories galore. Life imitating art, or in this case, imitating sensationalist media, and science fiction TV/movies, IMHO. TWA 800 come to mind.

I've been on too many SAR missions and it's unbelievably hard to spot a downed plane even when it's right below you, and you know it's there!

more-drama-plz-smiley-emoticon.png

• Like 1

WHOA !!!!!!   Last flight I took I was all P*SSED off at my radio (Garmin430 WAAS) and I had just routed a charging cable to the Ipad

Mini which is in a Airgismo, seems like the squelch button is pushed in but its not. I changed channels cause i thought maybe someone had a stuck mic but it followed me to another channel. So, its my charger? Will the charger for the 496 garmin do it as well???? Wow saved me a trip to the radio shop! Thats unbelieveable! I had just called and left a message this morning for an appointment. I did notice that after I flew awhile it got better about not breaking squelch, I'll bet it was because the charge level got high enough

I hate flying commercial, mainly because of the inconsideration of others. People miss their connections while people have to grab their carry on sh!t that they don't have any real need for carrying on in the first place! I wish there was an airline that was concerned only about schedules and being on time, was cheaper, didn't peddle the junk food and had no flight attendants just bouncers. When the plane pulls up to the gate people get off the damn plane. No digging for stuff. When boarding, no waiting for people that are late, no waiting for everyone to get all their stupid sh!t situated, get on the damn plane sit down, shut up and buckle up! That's right ! Everybody that's on time and gets there early waits and pays for these late ass inconsiderate people. I could not be an ATP nor FA I'd want to crack some heads!

But how do you really feel about flying commercial?

Experts say that if the plane crashed into the ocean then some debris should be floating on the surface even if most of the jet is submerged. Experience shows that finding the wreckage can take weeks or even longer, especially if the location of the plane is in doubt. A strange and rare occurrence, no doubt, but come on guys.

In the meantime....mass hysteria, and unfounded conspiracy theories galore. Life imitating art, or in this case, imitating sensationalist media, and science fiction TV/movies, IMHO. TWA 800 come to mind.

I've been on too many SAR missions and it's unbelievably hard to spot a downed plane even when it's right below you, and you know it's there!

more-drama-plz-smiley-emoticon.png

Hey buzzkill...can't have it both ways. Do you want your Ludlum or not? :)
  • Like 1

This just came to me. Where would you hide an airliner so its undetectable to air surveillance and you cannot afford hangar rent?

Answer:

Where there is a bunch of ailiners on the ground. Everybody is looking for an isolated plane. But this plane could easily be in a boneyard anywhere in the world. Getting retrofitted with stolen parts from other planes in the neighborhood. Very cost effective, no hangar rent, free parts and no security issues. These guys are good, they are even cost conscious.

José

So how hard would it be for someone sitting back in the plane with a handheld VHF to convince a pilot to contact the next center on a different frequency?  Once that happens how hard would it be to get him to turn off the transponder due to it causing an "ATC problem"?  To descend or fly a different heading? It seem to me like once you got him off frequency, it could go on for a while, not that I think that is happening here.

So how hard would it be for someone sitting back in the plane with a handheld VHF to convince a pilot to contact the next center on a different frequency?  Once that happens how hard would it be to get him to turn off the transponder due to it causing an "ATC problem"?  To descend or fly a different heading? It seem to me like once you got him off frequency, it could go on for a while, not that I think that is happening here.

Don't you think you are grasping at straws just a teeny weeny bit?

• Like 1

Jose,

I don't know about the commercial airlines, but my cell phone causes a noise in my headset. Many other folk's phones do not do it. I suppose it could be coincidence, but invariably when I forget to turn mine off before taking off, within a short time, I hear the same noise. I always turn it off, and do not hear it again.

The sympton you describe is mostly related to ANR headsets. The cord on the headset if not properly shielded acts as antenna to the electronics inside the ear modules. This problem is more pronounced on small planes when transmitting on HF or even on VHF on some planes. Unfortunately headsets are not required to go through EMI testing like TSOd NAV or COM equipment. 

José

One thing that I don't understand is the ground based radar. I was under the (wrong?) assumption that even with the transponder off that there would still be a primary target, albeit without a datatag. Can anybody elaborate?

The only way a plane with no transponder can be detected is by primary radar (the big antenna below the secondary radar antenna). Unfortunately not all ATC sites have primary radar capability but just a secondary radar. And for most the investment on primary radars is not worth it since all the airliners are dual transponder equipped and the secondary radar on the ground has back ups. In the old days when not all GA planes were required to have a transponder the controller would ask for a heading change to identify you on primary radar.

José 

Thanks for the info, Dave. But does Jose not knowing that justify the sarcasm? It would read much better without it.

Please consider the other members here who are reading. This gave me flashbacks of the Red & Blue boards . . . .

Fly safe!

David,

You will probably realize that we are not perfect in our typed communications. Especially if English is your second language.

It is difficult to get a point across without offending somebody.

Do your best, then move on.

It is natural to feel confronted, but it isn't actually happening.

The Mooney community isn't large enough to get caught up in online typed arguments.

You would run out of reasons to come back, quickly.

There is nothing to win in an online I told you so contest.

We all have something to learn, to share, or get off one's shoulders...

Ya know?

I'm glad you are here,

-a-

• Like 1

It just came to my mind that the Malaysian plane didn't even need to be hidden on its first landing early in the morning. If it landed anywhere in the Indian Ocean it would be to early for anyone to tune into the news. Furthermore who is going to suspect of this one when the search is going on over 3000nm away. The captain may have indicated that this was a ferry flight to an MRO for  class D check or upgrade. This would explain the lack of passengers They also may have change the Mode S tansponnder  ID  Some of the comnentts may have trasnpired. Captain ":top it off and get me some sanwhiches." Line boy I heard abuta one abut plane in the water by vietnam. Capt, Yeah they found the wreckage

After leaving this location they headed for Africa or other territory.

Keep in mid that Malaysia has 17 B777-ER so it would be hard to recognize which is the hijacked one.

From Wikipedia

Boeing 777[edit]

All Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200 aircraft are Extended Range (ER) models. The airline deployed these aircraft to fly medium-to-long-haul routes, such as Auckland, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Istanbul, Tokyoand Shanghai. The Boeing 777 aircraft have a maximum flight range of 12,779 km (6,900 nm). Malaysia Airlines owns all of its 17 777-200ERs. In 1997, the airline also became the record-holder of the world's longest non-commercial non-stop flight, from Boeing Field in Seattle to Kuala Lumpur, flying eastward, passing over the European and African continents, breaking the Great Circle Distance Without Landing record for an airliner with its Boeing 777-200ER dubbed Super Ranger: a record now held by the Boeing 777-200LR

Sorry, Dave, you get to put up with the ever-increasing number of ever-increasingly stupid idiots. I used to deal with the public at work, but fortunately was able to finish my degree and get a job where the only part of the public I see is my coworkers, and I time my Walmart shopping to avoid the worst of it . . . The idiots at work, fortunately, don't last too long [most of them, anyway--there are always exceptions].

Hey dudes ... It was just common sense. I'm hungry now ... You got anything else on here besides peanuts and pretzels ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too funny. IMHO the best place to have the munchies outside of a grocery store would be a commercial airline.

Sent using Tapatalk

Well ... update . Today on our originating flight we had a really " Cool guy" smoking herb in our laboratory immediately before we pushed from the gate. You could REALLY smell it. In fact over a hundred people had to sit for several minutest and wait for him to come out and sit down before we could push from the gate . What did we do, I am not saying - but I will say that we used our common sense . Welcome to my world! You may now return to conspiracy theories and satellite images ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave I think you are getting the common sense disease. You need to be vaccinated, it is free on the Obama Care plan.

José