Go faster in a headwind

Slow down in a tailwind

Full flaps, mains first landings

No touch and goes

Use Camguard

Who else flies this way?

Greetings from Iran

• Like 1

Cruise high only makes sense for long flights.  Under about 200nm the burn will be about the same for any altitude and you actually save fuel by staying low.  The difference will be less than 2 gallons in most cases.  If you go high for a short flight, fuel saved at cruise is wasted getting to altitude.

I'm only WOT until some time during the descent.

I don't cruise as fast as I can.  I use about 65% power for a compromise between speed and efficiency.

Carson's speed works only if you don't care how long it takes you to get there or if you are going far enough to climb above 10,000'

Disagree with the increase speed for a headwind.  You do not improve your range by speeding up unless you are looking at over about 50k of headwind.  On the other hand, if you can get rid of as little as 5 or 10 knots of headwind by changing altitude up or down, it will usually be worth it in terms of fuel burn.

Slow down for tailwind will save fuel if you don't mind the extra time it takes to get there.

Life is a compromise.

Bob

• Like 3

WOT all the time till approach

Cruise as high as possible for Carsons speed

Go faster in a headwind

Slow down in a tailwind

What you're talking about is maximizing your specific range (efficiency) and all things considered it's about the most economical way to operate your airplane based on cost per mile. So when you've got a place to go it makes sense, if you're just out boring wholes in the sky there's really no need. I'd only add that you also need to select your cruising altitude(s) carefully - rules of thumb don't always work. All that being said, it really only makes a significant difference when you're trying to operate out near the extremes of your range and even then it won't be all that much. Unless you happen to be one who enjoys playing those games, it's probably not worth the bother. For the record, I'm one who likes playing those games - in my work airplane I can normally hit fuel burn and time within a 100 pounds and a minute or two on a non-stop, coast-to-coast trip and beat the AFM performance numbers doing it. It gives me something to do on those frequent long-haul trips. :)  

Disagree with the increase speed for a headwind. You do not improve your range by speeding up unless you are looking at over about 50k of headwind. On the other hand, if you can get rid of as little as 5 or 10 knots of headwind by changing altitude up or down, it will usually be worth it in terms of fuel burn.

Slow down for tailwind will save fuel if you don't mind the extra time it takes to get there.

Bob

By increasing your speed into a headwind, you limit the time you're exposed to the headwind. By reducing your speed in a tailwind, you're maximizing the time you're assisted by it.

A 10kt headwind hurts you more than a 10kt tailwind helps you, due to the time exposed. Given the same distance flight, you're fighting the headwind longer than you'd be assisted by the tailwind; hence the recommendation to increase/decrease speed accordingly to mitigate that.

• Like 1

That might work with a J.  I would probably not make it to the departure end of the runway if I ever went WOT on takeoff in my 231.  I am going to guess that WOTLOP would generate about 470 dF CHT, maybe 480, not to mention blowing the engine.

I'm not sure how it is over in the US, but here in good old SA, flying is so expensive as it is, a little faster here and a little slower there ain't gonna make NO difference.

So, I just fly my Mooney balls to the wall - always. :P

Not sure why it my posting not working. But I had 152kts true at 2700 rpm peak egt at 13000ft today coming back from honeymoon.

We were heavy too at 2,850lbs it's not the wedding dress that weigh so much but the crap that the bride thinks she needs to bring with :). I bet my J would have ran 155kts-156kts if we were lighter.

Flying high rocks!

post-8452-13943206807418_thumb.jpg

post-8452-13943209979769_thumb.jpg

Not sure why it my posting not working. But I had 152kts true at 2700 rpm peak egt at 13000ft today coming back from honeymoon. We were heavy too at 2,850lbs it's not the wedding dress that weigh so much but the crap that the bride thinks she needs to bring with :). I bet my J would have ran 155kts-156kts if we were lighter. Flying high rocks!
OMG! I think I see a kitchen sink in that second picture. Dude... I know the feeling. For some unknown reason my newlywed felt compelled to bring an iron with us on our honeymoon. Yes, a frigging iron!

I have notices some loss of speed when flying below 3000 DA and WOT limited by FF to 10.0 GPH. The EGT is 100 LOP. Backing the throttle off a little (10-30%) and richening the fuel flow back up to 10.0 GPH brings EGT into the normal 1480 range seen in cruise and seems to optimize the Theta PPP. You can see this on the airspeed, it picks up 5 knots. It's not a critical EGT value, but within about 50 degrees of peak EGT seems to improve speed for that fuel flow.

Additionally, AaronK, myself, and I think 201ER have seen benefit to running at 2500 RPM or higher in cruise, especially at altitudes above 7-9K. The NMPG works out the same but you are traveling 5-10 knots faster.

• Like 2

Lean for taxi

Use takeoff flaps

Takeoff and climb full power

Pitch for Vz (approx 100-120 kias)

Cruise as fast as you can LOP

Cruise as high as possible for Carsons speed

Go faster in a headwind

Slow down in a tailwind

Full flaps, mains first landings

No touch and goes