Scariest Take Off

Cabanaboy

The real question is how to prevent things like this from happening. If he is experienced pilot, I believe responsible and he did his takeoff performance calculations, what went wrong? How much margin do we have to build into those calculations?

That just look like evolution trying to improve the gene pool...Sent using Tapatalk

I can't decide if this is an example of natural selection or selective breeding!

I'm leaning towards calling it a self attempt towards selective breeding since natural selection is a much more gradual process.

• Like 1

I bet he did the math. But the assumptions were wrong. How do you really know the height of the trees? How much power is your engine really making, how accurate is the density altitude, ...? These are things we can't know for certainty and why you have to add a margin. 

• Like 1

Those looked like 100ft trees. Not the standard 50 footers. I don't think he looked at the panel at all after he saw the ASI was live. All feel I bet. If anything else was a miss we would have read about it. He probably lost some ground effect at the ditch at the end of the R/W. There is no performance percentage deduction for 50 year old airplanes in the charts. Including my airplane.

Good lessons to all.

-Matt

Scary stuff.. I don't know if he did the math or not... but the main lesson learned, at least for me, don't trust your math skills.. just add a good margin (30%) to whatever you came up with. On the AOA I just was able to calibrate it last week (I had it installed for about a year, but you know... ) and I am getting used to it. It works really nice and it helps you get a better feeling on what you are doing.

I fly a lot out of high elevation and high temperature airports. Actually my current temporary base is at 5000 feet (with a LONG RUNWAY). It is always an interesting experience to see how long it takes for the plane to get airborne and how hard it is for my bird to climb depending on tempurature... There are even some airports that I don't go to with my Mooney unless my tanks are half full. You just have to be careful out there.

Oscar

The fortunate part is the pilot sharing his mistakes....

Patrick's memory brings it home and personalizes it for the Mooney crowd.

Vx is the best you can do... No slower or faster (right?).

When that doesn't work, slow down for the inevitable landing amongst the trees.

It's better to do the math in advance and take a cautious approach...

Stall horn blaring isn't at Vx is it?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

Erik,

They possibly mean...

The act of climbing is increased by the pilot converting chemical stored energy to potential energy (altitude), while minimizing real kinetic energy lost on the actual flying portion. In other words, they seem to minimize losses that are typical of "operating behind the power curve" where friction becomes incredibly non-ideal. (Source: my son's high school physics book)

A) Vertical speed / distance is greatest just before you fall out of the sky...

B ) Using your stall indicator as an AOA gauge will have you fall out of the sky...

C) Somebody at the airplane factory doesn't want pilots living on the edge, because they won't live very long there. Aka, fall out of the sky.

If the factory supplied us with...

- take off distances

- climb rates

- stall speeds with a minute margin of error

- Vx

- all the data we ever needed for operation in a portable battery operated color touchscreen

- FAQs

We could add tools to measure actual performance...and compare to book values over time

- AOA

- CloudAhoy (actual ground run and stopping distances)

- WnB

- WingX - Density Altitude, weather issues, up to date navigation data

- MooneySpace (THE FAQ source)

Apparently we have everything we need.

It's what we do with it that counts B)....

I feel like one of the luckiest aviators on the planet. It just gets better and better over time,

-a-