Silicone Mooney Door Seal

jetdriven

That sucks because I just noticed my baggage door leaks in heavy rain. What should I replace it with that is available now?

You can get a replacement weatherstrip from any hardware store or even amazon.  I bought one from amazon for around $8.  Just get one that's 3/8" thick and 3'4" wide.  10 feet should do the door.  I haven't done the baggage door but it should use much less. 

You can get a replacement weatherstrip from any hardware store or even amazon.  I bought one from amazon for around $8.  Just get one that's 3/8" thick and 3'4" wide.  10 feet should do the door.  I haven't done the baggage door but it should use much less. 

The stuff from "any hardware" store may not last all that long, as many of the offerings are either not all that resistant to UV, ozone, or give up on their resiliency in the cold. If not going inflatable, probably the most conformal, resilient, and weather resistant foam is silicone. Keep in mind that silicone does not do abrasion all that well (sometimes an issue if surfaces must slide against each other), and is pricey . . . still it's probably the best option and has a broad temperature range (usually broader than the adhesive strip that's attached). There are other good weather resistant foams available like EPDM, but for this app, I think silicone is probably best. McMaster-Carr has some, as does Amazon etc.

bumper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys - Byron hasn't posted an update since April on this thread regarding these door seals.  So Unless Byron lets us know otherwise, you'd have a better chance of getting this if you ask Santa Claus for it.

Yeah, and to make it official, you Guys can cancel my order!

Byron actually did close on this. Can't remember the details but the supplier was asking for something else that Byron wasn't willing to commit to.

Found his reply, from jetdriven:

"I arranged him a group buy of 39 Mooney owners for a silicone door seal and baggage seal, only to have the whole thing collapse because he wanted me to buy him a factory baggage door seal to copy. 7 grand of business goes away because of 110$. C'est la Vie."

• 1 year later...

I run a manufacturing company and over the years I have had several plastic extrusion dies made.  I would be interested in helping find a manufacturer and guide the process to sourcing this.  I would estimate tooling cost at about $700, typically I don't pay for that but I buy 100,000's of thousands of lineal feet of extrusion.  If someone could get me a 12" sample I would be willing to take to my extrusion and plastics guys and start getting some numbers.  No idea on $/ft, but I would guess less than 1$/ft.  Based on what I buy and a guess on silicone pricing and that is a wild wild guess.  

4 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

I run a manufacturing company and over the years I have had several plastic extrusion dies made.  I would be interested in helping find a manufacturer and guide the process to sourcing this.  I would estimate tooling cost at about $700, typically I don't pay for that but I buy 100,000's of thousands of lineal feet of extrusion.  If someone could get me a 12" sample I would be willing to take to my extrusion and plastics guys and start getting some numbers.  No idea on $/ft, but I would guess less than 1$/ft.  Based on what I buy and a guess on silicone pricing and that is a wild wild guess.  

I have some weather seal from aircraftdoorseals.com in the hangar, I can send you a foot. 

Byron,
Thanks for sharing... Put me down for a door seal
Pat Lyons ..plyons820@yahoo.com
Located   AXH   Houston Texas

Byron hasn't responded I think this is not happening unless the recent posters fire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 9:55 PM, aaronk25 said:

Byron hasn't responded I think this is not happening unless the recent posters fire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent a section of seal to Mark89114 and he was going to look into it. Maybe he'll get something going, I dunno. I don't need one so I don't really have a dog in the fight.

I don't have a dog in this fight either, just trying to help out fellow aviators.....

in any case, I did get the piece and my extrusion guy is going to quote tooling and material at minimum volume.  Does anybody have any idea what volume might be on this?  Or technical specs on material?  And more importantly willing to take charge on collecting orders?  As soon as I get numbers I will post.  I really don't have time to manage another project but I will provide whatever help I can.  

16 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight either, just trying to help out fellow aviators.....

in any case, I did get the piece and my extrusion guy is going to quote tooling and material at minimum volume.  Does anybody have any idea what volume might be on this?  Or technical specs on material?  And more importantly willing to take charge on collecting orders?  As soon as I get numbers I will post.  I really don't have time to manage another project but I will provide whatever help I can.  

I can probably manage it.

I thought I had the installation instructions in the hangar, but I don't. I'll see if I have them here, it'd sure be nice to have them. The seal has an orientation.

11 minutes ago, GEE-BEE said:

Iam still waiting for a sample of the original to mfg a extrusion die and do in silicone grey.

I will include 2.6 oz of clear silicone cement with eash assy

GLOVES-BRUSH ETC

if you need to remove old seal / 1300 l cement, we have peerco321 for 35.00 for 16 oz

I sell 18/24 cabin door assys for the Beech market every month , over 1k per year to the Factory so I know the quality..

http://www.csobeech.com/GeeBee-DoorSeal.html

I wont sell a generic crap for anyone

Gee-Bee

Well, I don't have one to send you now. I sent all I had to the other guy.