Headed to Willmar and Weep No More on Thursday

Earl

So I get to Flying Cloud Airport and saw a plane that looked like mine with full fuel tanks but when I got in there were no fuel odors so I thought I was in someone else's Mooney. :-) After a few minutes I realized it was actually mine. Ahhhhhhhhh.........

And the weather karma was with me as I had my return flight scheduled for today from over a month ago and the weather was nearly perfect. Filed for 13,000 feet and never saw ground speeds below 200 kts until I began my descent into Atlanta. Took 4 hours to get back and the ride was smooth until I got back and below 5,000 feet and it got really bumpy. Very windy landing and not my best but back safe and sound.

Thanks to Paul for the great workmanship and Eric for getting the plane safely back and forth from Willmar to KFCM! Here's hoping it is the last big expense for this year. [knock on my wooden head].

• Like 7

Thanks so much for the information and pictures. I have an appointment in June to have the left tank sealed. We plan on staying the week at one of the local lake resorts. We have not made any reservations yet. Does anyone have a recommendation?

• 1 month later...

Earl,

What made you choose Weep No More over Wetwingologist in Florida and closer to home?  My research shows they do the same quality work, unless I am mistaken...

Mike

Mike:  Both firms have a very good reputation and charge the same for the reseal project.  What swung me toward Weep No More was the fact that every review of them was overwhelmingly positive and they had an opening that matched my spring break schedule so it was also a timing issue.  I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Mike:  Both firms have a very good reputation and charge the same for the reseal project.  What swung me toward Weep No More was the fact that every review of them was overwhelmingly positive and they had an opening that matched my spring break schedule so it was also a timing issue.  I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

I know that Hank went with Wetwingologists and is very pleased with his result.  All things being equal, I'd probably go with Paul at Wilmar just b/c of the support he's shown to the forum.

• Like 3

Vintage guys reading this that have 26 a side remember your costs to reseal are less about $7000 or $3500/side as there are feewer bays to strip and reseal. :)

Paul had no problem with doing one side at a time to spread the expense out over two years. Left tank to be resealed in early June and then adios to weeping tanks.

It has been really nice to fill the right side at a cheaper fuel price airport and fly home on fuel in the left tank knowing right tank will be full when we next want to fly. Will be EVEN NICER to have two solid fuel tanks.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Thanks for the feedback Earl. I have a repair coming in my future and I am researching options and I have decided a full job is the only thing I will do. I have to look at my schedule and shop openings to be my deciding factor as you did.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Earl. I have a repair coming in my future and I am researching options and I have decided a full job is the only thing I will do. I have to look at my schedule and shop openings to be my deciding factor as you did.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

No problem and as I said, you can't go wrong either way except if you try to do patches like I did.  With the older tanks its like playing whack a mole.  Just when you get one leak repaired another pops up.  I can't tell you how happy it makes me to get into my Mooney and not smell fuel fumes and see that the fuel I added is still there.  Those fuel savings alone will pay for the reseal in about 20 years.   :D

I know that Hank went with Wetwingologists and is very pleased with his result.  All things being equal, I'd probably go with Paul at Wilmar just b/c of the support he's shown to the forum.

I did mine in 2010. Called Paul, Wet Wings, Midwest and Maxwell. Midwest was half the distance and 50% higher cost for a polyurethane seal coat. The other three were similar distances (>700 nm); Edison gave a 7-year warranty, was open at a good time for me, and we had discount airline service from Huntington to Ft Lauderdale [$143 round trip after taxes & fees], so I flew to Ft. Lauderdale. I am very, very pleased! Like Earl, it is very nice to fill up the plane and come back a week later and still be full . . . . 

I was also worried about paint damage on the bottom of the wings where the stripper drains out to be recirculated. Edison hand-applies stripper where needed to soften the goo; some of mine crumbled when touched.

I am headed to Wetwingoligists on Wed Apr 30.  In 40 years of ownership and flying this is the most costly non-scheduled expense I have had -- and I bought the Mooney thinking it would be less Maintenance than other brands.  Having one wing done less than 700TT

Paul also was a sponsor or the FL mooney gathering. Nice to do business with people who support this group as said by rbridges.

And he did offer each attendee of the Mooney Summit a discount, and will be involved again as a sponsor in the next one. Thanks Paul!