Rocker Switch Cover Replacements - 3D Print your own

freff

Just a quick update on the Klixon. He appears to know there is a fit difference and offers a version 0.5 (loose fit) and a 0.6 (tighter fit). What I don't know is if the 0.6 is the right fit. Looks like someone above has ordered one. Think we are still waiting for a PIREP on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Karl,

I recently ordered 2 of the rocker switch covers you designed, and I want to say thanks for your time and effort designing these and making them available for all of us to buy.  Since ordering them, and spending quite a bit of time finishing them, I contacted Shapeways about purchasing your design in the Strong & Flexible Polished Plastic.  I was told that you as the designer have sole control to offer that.  I don't know if there is a downside to the polishing process, but it seems like it would save a bunch of time finishing these, so I'm curious if you would consider offering these in the polished plastic.

Thanks,

WAYNO

Karl,

I recently ordered 2 of the rocker switch covers you designed, and I want to say thanks for your time and effort designing these and making them available for all of us to buy.  Since ordering them, and spending quite a bit of time finishing them, I contacted Shapeways about purchasing your design in the Strong & Flexible Polished Plastic.  I was told that you as the designer have sole control to offer that.  I don't know if there is a downside to the polishing process, but it seems like it would save a bunch of time finishing these, so I'm curious if you would consider offering these in the polished plastic.

Thanks,

WAYNO

And please report back after you twist his arm

I've got one that is cracking.

2 hours ago, Wayno said:

Karl,

Thanks,

WAYNO

Hey Wayno,

Sorry I have been absent from Mooneyspace.   I never tried ordering them in the polished plastic because I have not needed to reorder since completing and installing my first batch back when I started this thread.    I have changed the settings at shapeways so that you can order them.   My concern is that the polishing process may break some of the walls because they are pretty thin in some areas.    If you do try it in the polished material, please report your results back to thread for me and others.

Can anyone verify that the 0.6 version is the right/better fit for the klixon switches? I'm interested in purchasing a whole set for my '76 F to have spares and take advantage of the free shipping but would need to verify before making such a purchase. I only need one for the boost pump as of right now so I thought about buying one of each and doing a test fit of each if nobody else has done so already. My biggest fear is that in doing so I might break the switch and have to buy the whole assembly so your help would be MUCH appreciated. Also, is everyone having better luck with the "White Strong & Flexible Polished" verses the "White Strong & Flexible" There seems to be quite a delay when it comes to having them made and/or shipped so if someone could verify, I'd buy the whole set now rather than going through the trial run of both the 0.5 and 0.6 versions.

-Kyle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wayno said: Karl,

Thanks,

WAYNO

Hey Wayno,

Sorry I have been absent from Mooneyspace.   I never tried ordering them in the polished plastic because I have not needed to reorder since completing and installing my first batch back when I started this thread.    I have changed the settings at shapeways so that you can order them.   My concern is that the polishing process may break some of the walls because they are pretty thin in some areas.    If you do try it in the polished material, please report your results back to thread for me and others.

Can you send a link so some of us Guinea Pigs can try the plastic ones?

23 minutes ago, freff said:
1 hour ago, Marauder said:

And please report back after you twist his arm emoji6.png

I've got one that is cracking.

Hey Wayno,

I'm going to order 1 in the polished plastic and see how it turns out.  I'll post back when I get it and have a chance to evaluate it.

• Like 1

Marauder, the polished plastic is just an option that Karl has now made available for the ETA style switch covers.  Just go to Shapeways.com and do a search for "ETA" and you'll find it.  I just ordered 1, and am happy to be the Guinea Pig.  I'll report back.

• Like 1

Marauder, the polished plastic is just an option that Karl has now made available for the ETA style switch covers.  Just go to Shapeways.com and do a search for "ETA" and you'll find it.  I just ordered 1, and am happy to be the Guinea Pig.  I'll report back.

I'm looking for the Klixon version. I think I read he is making it available?

55 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm looking for the Klixon version. I think I read he is making it available?

Hello,

There may be someone else that you are referring to, but I have only created a model for ETA switches and I have no plans to do further design for klixon.   This project came out of a selfish need for my mooney.  Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freff said:

Hello,

There may be someone else that you are referring to, but I have only created a model for ETA switches and I have no plans to do further design for klixon.   This project came out of a selfish need for my mooney.  Sorry.

There was someone who I thought made the Klaxon version. Is it hard to set this up to print? 

Don't know if anyone has tried either of these yet, but I believe these are for the Klixon switches. Apparently the guy makes a v0.5 and a v0.6. The difference between the two is in the links below. If anyone has tried them before please let me know. Once again, I'd like to know if the "White Strong & Flexible Polished" option is the best one to select as well. Otherwise I'll take one for the team and try one of each and give you all a report. Still wish I knew which one was best to go with because they offer FREE shipping on orders over $25. A full ship set for me would be $36.00 with free shipping. A LOT better than $199.00 for a new switch assembly.

v0.5 (supposedly looser fit)
http://www.shapeways.com/product/MLMJCPJBN/switch-cover-klixon-20tc-v0-5-smooth-front?li=shop-results&optionId=12671695

v0.6 (supposedly tighter fit)
http://www.shapeways.com/product/BVM7ZU8CK/switch-cover-klixon-20tc-v0-6-smooth-front?li=more-from-shop&optionId=56024578

Edited by KyleKJ90

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2016 at 0:59 PM, Wayno said:

I'm going to order 1 in the polished plastic and see how it turns out.  I'll post back when I get it and have a chance to evaluate it.

OK, here's the verdict on the "White Strong & Flexible Polished" version:

It's a bit less rough than the normal one, but is far from polished.  You can still see the step marks from the 3d printing process, although they aren't quite as prominent.  The switch cover still needs some sanding to make it nice enough to install.  I hope that helps everyone interested.  IMHO, it might save about 5 minutes of sanding.  Since they are the same price as the others, it's probably worth ordering, but don't expect it's ready for install.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Reference my previous post about the v0.6. This is what one of the "white strong flexible polished" looks like after using a Dymo label maker and a several layers of clear coat. (Note the boost pump switch) one year and several hundred flight hours later and she's still going strong. It's still a little loose compared to the original Mooney switches but for the money, you just can't beat them. You absolutely MUST clear coat them in my opinion due to the slight roughness which picks up all kinds of dirt and grime from your fingers. Just don't spray the clear coat on the back side of the switch cover which has the two installation clips. If my memory serves me right, you lift up from the bottom of the switch cover when replacing them too. Does that sound right guys?

IMG_8260.JPG

7 hours ago, KyleKJ90 said:

Reference my previous post about the v0.6. This is what one of the "white strong flexible polished" looks like after using a Dymo label maker and a several layers of clear coat. (Note the boost pump switch) one year and several hundred flight hours later and she's still going strong. It's still a little loose compared to the original Mooney switches but for the money, you just can't beat them. You absolutely MUST clear coat them in my opinion due to the slight roughness which picks up all kinds of dirt and grime from your fingers. Just don't spray the clear coat on the back side of the switch cover which has the two installation clips. If my memory serves me right, you lift up from the bottom of the switch cover when replacing them too. Does that sound right guys?

IMG_8260.JPG

I have one on my Boost Pump. Been on there for a few months. Works, but wiggles.

• 8 months later...