Rocker Switch Cover Replacements - 3D Print your own

freff

On 9/10/2017 at 3:01 AM, Hyett6420 said:

Just found this thread, very useful.  Im going to order one to play with.  Lettering wise i was going to take it to a mate of mine who is a dentist, have him "cut" the letters in using one of his little drill things, then fine paint them in.  Ill let you know how it goes.

Landing light is my one thats gone.

Andrew

if I had the time and to do it over, I'd sand and paint the switch, then have someone laser engrave it, then fill the burned letters with paint. It's about $50 though to have someone do a rifle receiver, so I'd imagine about that much for the switch. Too much to invest in this project. I'd also print or order an extra switch to test so they don't burn right through the one I spent time sanding and painting.

On 9/10/2017 at 5:01 AM, Hyett6420 said:

Just found this thread, very useful.  Im going to order one to play with.  Lettering wise i was going to take it to a mate of mine who is a dentist, have him "cut" the letters in using one of his little drill things, then fine paint them in.  Ill let you know how it goes.

Landing light is my one thats gone.

Andrew

I'm a dentist, so I'll give my two cents.  Unless he's God's gift to the dental world, I think you'll be disappointed in the results.  Plus, he'll probably charge you for a consult after messing up your switch cover.  :D

• Haha 1

I recently bought a 3d printer and have had fun printing various test patterns so far.  One question of semantics or etiquette I guess is why not make the code available for little plastic parts like this so people with a 3d printer could print them in their home.  They could also customize them if they like.  Thanks in advance for your response

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
6 hours ago, djt said:

I followed this link but didn't couldn't find any 3D print files (.stl).  Are we talking about the same thing?  I ordered 1 Klixon cover from Shapeways but I'd like to try printing them myself.

dj,

this is a pretty old thread…

Chances are you a discussing something different…

That link is an MSer that knows the most about printing and decorating those switch caps…

If you click on it… that should bring you to his MS home page… and recent pics. And topics of discussion…

Some people share their files… you may have to ask…

Keep in mind MS is a collection of real people… :)

For best context… always check the thread and post dates…

Best regards,

-a-

Mooney used two similar circuit breaker switches, one type made by Klixon, and one type made by ETA. I don't believe that the caps are interchangeable. @AH-1 Cobra Pilot can correct me if I remembered incorrectly, but I believe he has printed caps for the Klixon switches. There are blank covers available for the ETA switches from Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/product/YR7FSMMJW/mooney-rocker-switch-cover-quot-eta-quot-type

Skip

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/19/2022 at 11:12 PM, PT20J said:

Mooney used two similar circuit breaker switches, one type made by Klixon, and one type made by ETA. I don't believe that the caps are interchangeable. @AH-1 Cobra Pilot can correct me if I remembered incorrectly, but I believe he has printed caps for the Klixon switches. There are blank covers available for the ETA switches from Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/product/YR7FSMMJW/mooney-rocker-switch-cover-quot-eta-quot-type

Skip

I get a 404 error from that link.

Seems like several options for Klixon, but nothing right now for ETA.

I will have to check with my friend to see if he would be willing to do the word to create the print file.  I would need a couple of good ones as prototypes.

Hmm, why couldn't you print in the labels, but in clear, then light from behind with a small LED?????

41 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Hmm, why couldn't you print in the labels, but in clear, then light from behind with a small LED?????

I have actually made some switch covers in Glow-in-the-Dark PLA.  You have to occasionally shine a light on them, but they work pretty well.  The down side is PLA; they will not likely survive a really hot summer.

1 hour ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I have actually made some switch covers in Glow-in-the-Dark PLA.  You have to occasionally shine a light on them, but they work pretty well.  The down side is PLA; they will not likely survive a really hot summer.

Oof, they wouldn't survive one day in the summer.  I accidently left a PLA toy in the backseat one afternoon, and it was toast.  Do they make a glow-in the dark ABS?  They must, like those glow-in-the-dark Legos?

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Oof, they wouldn't survive one day in the summer.  I accidently left a PLA toy in the backseat one afternoon, and it was toast.  Do they make a glow-in the dark ABS?  They must, like those glow-in-the-dark Legos?

I had searched before, but found none.  This time, I found some from Amazon, but in a blue tint.  Maybe I will try it…

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

PLA or poly lactic acid…..

Not only melts really easily… it is also biodegradable… as in edible by bugs and amoebas….

and has a funny aroma when working with it… :)

PP thoughts only… not a polymer guru.

Best regards,

-a-

It's a bit of a myth that it's biodegradable or compostable.  It's pretty dang stable even after a couple years buried in soil.  It's really only biodegradable under industrial composting conditions--and, of course, none of them accept PLA.  Realistically, I just toss them into the fireplace on top of the firewood.  At least it's more carbon neutral than other plastics.

More importantly for cabin doohickeys, though, it's quite UV sensitive and breaks down fast in direct sunlight, in addition to deforming in summer temps.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 6:09 AM, skykrawler said:

They won't have the factory look, but these will do the job.

It won't work if you have ETA switches. This model is for a Klixon switch cap. If you're looking for these, @AH-1 Cobra Pilot makes a good looking set and I'd get them from him.

The Shapeways link was for the ETA cover. One easy way to tell is by the two attachment points on the back. The Klixon switch covers are nubs; the ETA cap are two loops and is where it tends to break.

So it seems no one saved the file for the ETA cover? It'd be real shame if it's lost. I purchased one from Shapeways a few years back and it worked really well. The ETA switches are also breakers, so replacing the whole thing is expensive (~$620 from LASAR).

Edited by louisut