Mooney Production to Re-Start Feb. 26

Rwsavory

I tried calling the factory last week to ask about parts and only got a voicemail option for technical support and technical publications. Does anyone have a phone contact that'll yield me a warm body to speak with?

I've always heard the best way to obtain parts is from an MSC. I never tried to call the Honda plant in Ohio when I needed parts for my Accord, nor will I look up where Ford makes trucks when my current ride needs parts--that's what dealers, parts places and salvage yards are for. Same for my Mooney.

But I am excited to see the factory running again. New planes rolling out means that I will continue to have options to move up in the coming years. Right now, though, my C is doing well, even though I am temporarily separated from her.

• Like 1

Hank,

Your Long Body has been built already! It's just waiting on you to be ready...

Best regards,

-a-

Once new airframes are coming out again, the current owner of my long body will be able to upgrade and make it available!  ;)

• Like 1

I was just in Germany a week ago - and I saw a Bugatti Vyron.  Look it up if you don't know it - anyway you could buy two Acclaim type S and have money left over to buy a Ferrari for the money of a Vyron.  Dang - well if I had the money, I would love to have a brand new Mooney.

Well that is a little unfair since the Bonanza only has 74 gallons of fuel and only goes max 175kts. With 74 gallons the Acclaim has 550 Lb payload and goes max 242 kts. I hope the pilot and her husband can meet that weight limit. It is all about the speed.

Well an acclaim holds 100 gallons of gas, fill that up, your cabin payload is 400 lb and that's before any optional equipment such as TKS, dual brakes, air conditioning, etc. Add all that your typical Acclaim buyer who weighs 200lbs better find a wife who weights 80 pounds and doesn't pack a bag for a trip.

The G36 can install tip tanks and other mods which give it a gross weight increase to 4010 (a 360 lb bump in takeoff weight). Now you got yourself a six seat airplane you can use 4 of them with enough fuel to go somewhere. And if you want a Turbo A36 you can fill four seats and fly it 1400 miles. Or more of one or the other, something no Mooney can do. They maxed out the airframe's potential a long time ago.

Don't even GE started about the Cirrus Turbo.

• Like 1

Well, I am not sure what the point is. But if You install the tip tanks on the new G36 and fill it up you have a payload of 714 lbs. And if the pilot weighs 200lbs then with 3 passengers there is no luggage, no golf clubs, no heavy coats. Still not a useful 4 person airplane. To get the speed up you need to add the turbo, which further cuts down the payload and increases the cost of the aircraft by $60,000. Then you would probably add speed brakes. So there s an upgraded Mooney that will do what you want and it is a TBM 850. Just a few dollars more.

A few years ago I did spec out a new Acclaim with all the options, AC, extended fuel, Fiki TKS, Oxygen, airbag belts, and the result was a negative Payload with full fuel of -30 lbs. so if you filled it up you would have to have the tanks drained. But, if like myself 90% of your flights are solo it is a great airplane.

So the a36 carries 114 gallons and 704 pounds in the cabin. An Acclaim takes 100 gallons and you put 300 lbs in the cabin. Yes the Acclaim is faster but run at the 244 knot speed and it will need a new engine long before TBO. So call it 220-230 knots. Acclaim owners please update data for me.

But look at it from the buyers perspective. New market here. I can pay 660k for a speedy 1 and maybe 2 person airplane that's hard to get in and out of and harder to see out of, orI can pay the same money for a 165 knot 6 seat plane with A/C and barn doors. For 60K more (10% extra) can go 190 knots and carry twice as much nearly as fast and with far more room than the Mooney. And oh forgot far better resale value. Legendary AOG support and customer service.

Anyways the real hot ticket is a TN A36. The 1980s and older ones have 1400 useful with the gross weight increase, and will carry 4 people and all their stuff 1000 NM at 190 knots, and some have known ice. Something that no Mooney ever built will do. Especially at the 200K price point. The Bravo matches the speed, but it's one person versus 4+.

If Mooney would realize this then perhaps they would never have shut down. Beechcraft did not. But it seems every new mooney that comes out was invented by someone else.

Look I'm a Mooney guy and if I crashed mine tomorrow I'd take a hard look at the A36 but truth is I'd probably be in another 201, or a 252.

• Like 1

Show me the three people that want to fly non stop for six hours and use the Gatorade bottle with you...

You've got a real unique situation if all your flights with a loaded cabin are maximum load, maximum performance in maximum weather conditions!

I'm happy with having the fastest, N/A, factory built four seater... Even if we have to stop half way...!

Come to the Long Body side...

Best regards,

-a-

I was just in Germany a week ago - and I saw a Bugatti Vyron.  Look it up if you don't know it - anyway you could buy two Acclaim type S and have money left over to buy a Ferrari for the money of a Vyron.  Dang - well if I had the money, I would love to have a brand new Mooney.

That is one expencive VW!. The Bugatti name was just bought off the internet for it. PURE VW.

If they gave me one I would have to sell it UN driven.

Let them prove PT right again.

Slow Bo Trolls.

Speed is a reason unto its self.

The only reason Bonanza never shut down was the turbine side.

With that same argument a Sara-slowga is better than a Bo.