Fltplan Go

I finally tested this great app out tonight on an IFR flight in VMC.  My Wing X Pro is up for annual renewal but Fltplan Go seems to offer a lot of the same features at no cost.  I really liked the ability to go from map, to approach charts, weather, etc.  It also offers the ability to plot your flight plan route right onto your route chart,it also has geo referenced approach plates, geo referenced airport diagrams, etc.  I still need to learn a few more things about it but so far I think it's a great alternative to Fore Flight, Wing X and Garmin Pilot for no cost.  I really liked it.  There are some ads on the app but nothing I think that is overly intruding.  

Does anyone else have opinions on this?

• Like 1

Funny you should write this Steve because I was looking at the app and thinking the same thing last night. It's really got a lot of features and it's very easy to use. At a minimum I'll be using the checklists for the next few weeks to see how they work out. But from a navigation perspective, it's very accessible and easy to use and the approach plates are geo-referrenced. I'm sure they will add a lot more over the next couple of years as well.

fltplan.com has always been free and I hope it will stay that way. I don't see the ads that you mention in the iPad app but on the browser they've always been there. If they stay "free" then I'm sure we'll see more in the way of ads.

I bought the GDL-39 a few months ago to get weather on the iPad but I have a 696 in the plane now so I don't need the iPad for weather - in fact, I prefer it on the 696 anyway.

My Garmin Pilot subscription expires on 2/28 and the "IFR Premium" expires on 4/21. I'll fly with it a bit over the next couple of weeks to see how it works out and let you know.

Dave

• Like 1

I downloaded a few states in NE. Still no joy!

I even removed the entire app and re-downloaded it.

I don't get that orange symbol on bottom right if that means anything.

I'm open to suggestions if I've missed anything Chris.

Dave, I think you'll like it.  I personally haven't encountered the crashes others may have (Knock on M20A wing).  I would suggest trying it out in VFR conditions or IFR in VMC before making the plunge into use during IMC.  I really like the trail it leaves on the geo referenced plates and airport diagram.  You can see your path right there and see how good your approach was.  

I really liked the terrain elevation feature on Wing X Pro which might be a reason I might still renew it since I still fly fly helos for the day (night) job.  I still have yet to decide.

I downloaded a few states in NE. Still no joy!

I even removed the entire app and re-downloaded it.

I don't get that orange symbol on bottom right if that means anything.

I'm open to suggestions if I've missed anything Chris.

Pete - double check the date on top of the chart. If it is outdated, it won't georeference. The plates are separate from the rest of the download (charts). If you are seeing yourself on the charts, the plates should work.

Chris I see this on maps post-7035-0-18196200-1391904155_thumb.jp

And this in airports procedures. post-7035-0-44195600-1391904198_thumb.jp

But on the plate I don't see geo referencing. It should be showing to the right of ASEDY. post-7035-0-91687000-1391904251_thumb.jp

What iOS version do you have? Mine is 7.0.4.

I have charts and procedures downloaded. post-7035-0-09267500-1391904740_thumb.jppost-7035-0-26015100-1391904761_thumb.jp

And I just found another bug. It doesn't open airport diagrams! Red button saying could not open airport diagrams. Even though they are downloaded.

Pete -- not sure what is going on with your app. The purple arrowheads on the procedures page means they are georeferenced. I can't see the bottom of the page for the RNAV RWY 8 approach. On the bottom it should contain the GPS coordinate positions. And at the bottom right should be a green circle with the GPS alert thresholds. Are these on your plate? If not, there is something going on with the link between your GPS and the plate.

I am on the same version of iOS. I would try a clean boot of the iPad after closing all of the apps by double clicking the center button and manually closing the apps. Once closed, I would hold the power button and the center button and do a hard reset of the iPad. Power up afterwards by hitting the power button and relaunch the app. See what that does.

Here is what I see on the bottom of my plate:

Posted Image

I love this app.  Not only am I saving money but I'm getting additional features as well.  The few times I have had problems with the program I email support@fltplan.com and they were able to help me out.  I agree with carusoam that many iPad users are going the Android route.  Luckily there's an app for FltPlan there too. 

Oops, not so fast...

iPad 1..... The 1 is the part that is key for this discussion...

The IOS for the original iPad is stuck in years old version 5.

Ipad4 (air) is starting on IOS 7.

With the skills of the modern navigation, the newer operating systems are required for stability.

Whatever brand you choose is personal, just keep it updated for now...

My preferences are uniquely stuck in the past...fortunately BK is around the corner with my new navigator(I hope).

Best regards and welcome aboard,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you thought of this, but WRT georeferencing, check that location services is on for the app. Also, in the Misc tab of the Downloads section, the Airports Database needs to be current. As previously noted, Fltplan support is very responsive.

We have found that the app does crash randomly, particularly during downloads. There can be a number of downloads in the Failed Downloads section. We have always been able to complete the downloads with patience and perseverance (ipad 4 with iOS 7.0.4).

We find the app to be good in the cockpit. For flight planning, if you use Fltplan.com it's a great companion. Other apps have different features and strengths. As everyone has said, it's a terrific app for the price.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest update 0.7.6 (27 Mar 2014) for Android fixed the georeferencing issue on my Nexus 7. The old version reported that my plates had expired even though they had not and would not show the correct location of my plane on it unless I re-downloaded the "current" plate. I hope to try the new version out on an actual flight soon.