RC scale model Mooney 201

RocketAviator

After a considerable search I was able to locate and secure a scale model Mooney from Europe and it arrived today!

I am excited to get this model assembled and flown... Maybe by Spring Reunion!

Will attempt to model after my Rocket. Going to try and copy my paint scheme, will see how that works out...

Hey it's a Mooney!

post-11320-0-93044900-1391740675_thumb.j

post-11320-0-23846300-1391740692_thumb.j

post-11320-0-83997800-1391740707_thumb.j

• Like 3

After a considerable search I was able to locate and secure a scale model Mooney from Europe and it arrived today!

I am excited to get this model assembled and flown... Maybe by Spring Reunion!

Will attempt to model after my Rocket. Going to try and copy my paint scheme, will see how that works out...

Hey it's a Mooney!

Congratulations! You're more persistent than me, I gave up looking. Found a $30 book once with reduced size plans, but I'm not up to scratch building a scale model. Please take pictures, let us know where you will be flying it, and I will let you know to provide drool rags for me.

I've had this kit since the 80s but have never built it. Now with all of the ARF electrics out there I probably never will. Looking forward to following along with your progress.

Jim

Wow I searched all over for the GM Plastics model.....

I was not able to find an ARF that would have been my second choice, first would be RTF.... I'm lazy...

PM me if u want to sell your GM kit!

• 4 weeks later...

N1016U Scale Model Mooney Rocket RC Update!

Have made some progress on the build.  The motor (and I say again NOT the .40 as the manufacture recommends, after all I HAVE A ROCKET so I went with a .60) mounted and firewall hardware complete with steerable nose gear.  Also in line with the Rocket I reinforced the firewall and engine mount with extra structural elements and special adhesives to ensure proper engine power to airframe transfer!

Ran into some problems with the laminar flow wings as I am now waiting on the 3rd set to arrive and this time the MFG Guarantees they will be correct and wont split this time!... we will see.  The darn things come all the way from Europe!!!!

The forming of the woods have been the most challenging so far, but also the most rewarding to me so far.  Most of the pieces are laser cut and fit well but some are just blank pieces of wood that must be formed and fitted (ie the decks).

Hope to complete the fuselage structure this weekend.

Will be taking lots of pictures of all aspects and angles of my Rocket so I can attempt to duplicate the lines, wingtips, lights, antenna and of course the aircraft color and graphics.

Planning on having working Taxi & Landing lights, wing tip strobe lights (dont know how to strobe yet) and of course red and green navigation lights!

Engine and 3 blade prop installed and ready to reassemble!

As promised here are a couple shots of the fuselage as of last night!

post-11320-0-59016000-1394221568_thumb.j

post-11320-0-45734700-1394221590_thumb.j

It's starting to look at lot like Mooney..

A little more progress, slow going for sure. Especially considering the documentation is less than adequate at best. Additionally I'm taking the extra time and effort for some upgrades... remember I fly a Rocket! The kit does not allow for a steerable nose gear, not access panels so I modified the kit to include one piece tail removable panel, same for engine compartment.

post-11320-0-44004000-1394337086_thumb.j

post-11320-0-93746500-1394337112_thumb.j

post-11320-0-74613500-1394337155_thumb.j

post-11320-0-22683600-1394337229_thumb.j

If you leave the 2 blade propeller on it, be sure an have the Eddy current inspection done every 6 hours. Or get the 3 blade, an wash your hands of the AD

RC Universe says the 3 blade propeller will help you with your LOP operations too....:)

Cody... no worries mate, all set 3 blade prop already installed. However I think it may need to be balanced, coan you balance it for me? No need for a prop govuner it is a Rocket..lol

• 7 years later...
On 3/7/2014 at 11:47 AM, RocketAviator said:

N1016U Scale Model Mooney Rocket RC Update!

Have made some progress on the build.  The motor (and I say again NOT the .40 as the manufacture recommends, after all I HAVE A ROCKET so I went with a .60) mounted and firewall hardware complete with steerable nose gear.  Also in line with the Rocket I reinforced the firewall and engine mount with extra structural elements and special adhesives to ensure proper engine power to airframe transfer!

Ran into some problems with the laminar flow wings as I am now waiting on the 3rd set to arrive and this time the MFG Guarantees they will be correct and wont split this time!... we will see.  The darn things come all the way from Europe!!!!

The forming of the woods have been the most challenging so far, but also the most rewarding to me so far.  Most of the pieces are laser cut and fit well but some are just blank pieces of wood that must be formed and fitted (ie the decks).

Hope to complete the fuselage structure this weekend.

Will be taking lots of pictures of all aspects and angles of my Rocket so I can attempt to duplicate the lines, wingtips, lights, antenna and of course the aircraft color and graphics.

Planning on having working Taxi & Landing lights, wing tip strobe lights (dont know how to strobe yet) and of course red and green navigation lights!

Engine and 3 blade prop installed and ready to reassemble!

As promised here are a couple shots of the fuselage as of last night!

post-11320-0-59016000-1394221568_thumb.j

post-11320-0-45734700-1394221590_thumb.j

RocketA, Curious to know if you completed your Mooney scale build? I'm currently doing a partial scratch build to create a M20 Ovation. WS 60"; AUW approx 8.5lbs. Still much work to be done. Hope to complete and maiden before end of summer (if time allows).

Thanks,

MoonsterV35

14DFBEF1-76DC-43B8-9C16-8246E12666DD.jpeg

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Moonster!

@RocketAviator is still visiting MS.... it has been a couple of weeks since he last stopped by...

Hopefully, he still has his email connected to MS...

I’m sure he would like to see what you have.

@ChrisN205me has recently built and flown his model with incredible detail....

I’m hopeful you guys can find each other...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MoonsterV35 said:

RocketA, Curious to know if you completed your Mooney scale build? I'm currently doing a partial scratch build to create a M20 Ovation. WS 60"; AUW approx 8.5lbs. Still much work to be done. Hope to complete and maiden before end of summer (if time allows).

Thanks,

MoonsterV35

14DFBEF1-76DC-43B8-9C16-8246E12666DD.jpeg

Great to hear another model is being built, I enjoyed building mine, it was a labor of love for sure....  I would love to see images of your progress and see images when you are complete.  Good luck...