A1890-4Z-1 "Speed Nuts"

dcastor

I'm doing some work which has resulted in the loss of a number of tinnerman nuts which appear to be A1890-4Z-1.  I can't seem to find a source for these...has anyone else had luck with A1776-4Z-1 instead?  Or know of a place to find the 1890s?

Dave C

• 6 years later...
On 2/3/2014 at 5:06 PM, M20Doc said:

Aircraft Spruce lists them.

Clarence

That was then (2014).   I can't seem to find them in 2020.

MS is a time machine.   Sadly its a real-time time machine, so we have to wait six years to go six years into the future...

18 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

That was then (2014).   I can't seem to find them in 2020.

MS is a time machine.   Sadly its a real-time time machine, so we have to wait six years to go six years into the future...

The Tinnerman used by Mooney had turned up ends and may be gone, this one from Spruce should be fine.

Clarence

7FCBEDB4-3BB0-4B96-93DE-C79BE7E87614.jpeg

Mill spec parts are a weird deal. The specs rarely go away. There are lots of companies that will make you some to the specs if you order them. Especially if you want thousands and don't mind waiting a few months for them. My son works for Boeing in purchasing, he deals with this every day. The engineers specify parts from the specs with no regard to availability.

For us the problem is finding someone who has ordered the part numbers we want and stocks them. 

O’tree...

If able toss the old and replace with new... they get less springy each use... and only cost cents to replace...

Or you can test each one... by feel.

When the springiness is gone you feel it while tightening the screw in...

I used to buy a bunch to have on hand... and replace the old ones as required... similar to replacing other related hardware...

PP thoughts as usual... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

@M20Doc, can or should we reuse the old Tinnerman nuts that my co-pilot found lost in the grease, or just use all new ones?

If they still grip the screw and tighten, there is nothing wrong with using them.  More often it’s the Phillips drive in the screw or a worn screwdriver that prevents proper tightening.

Clarence

On 2/3/2014 at 5:22 PM, dcastor said:

I'm doing some work which has resulted in the loss of a number of tinnerman nuts which appear to be A1890-4Z-1.  I can't seem to find a source for these...has anyone else had luck with A1776-4Z-1 instead?  Or know of a place to find the 1890s?

Dave C

Replacing these should be elementary as indicated above. I would be more concerned about where the loss occurred.  If they failed when removed or reinstalled, and not "lost", replacement should be routine. It's when they're lost and floating around the belly of an aircraft among components that don't react well with things like this..

These are one of the most common things I found while cleaning bellies, I was a stickler for "debris free under the floor" and often presented the client with a bag of such that "people behind me" had missed during their work. The older and more sloppy maintained aircraft can get pretty scary when dug real deep into.

Fly Safe

Bob Weber

webairconsulting.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bradp said:

I found my favorite snap on 1/4 ratchet some time after maintenance.  I wasn’t gonna give that one back.  

AW crap fess up time.

Have 3 or 4 pairs of snap on needle nose, they can float between 3 or 4 locations.  Car, home, hangar, barn.   There is only one pair that have the red covers.   I knew they had gone missing but like a dog they will usually show back up.  Doing the Dynon install, they were found under the comm shelf in the tail.   Found by feel and not by sight.

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

So, parts arrived from A/C Spruce.   Pop quiz: Are Tinnerman nuts installed as in A) or B)?  I think I know which one it is, just want to be sure.  Thx.

Tinnerman_install.png

Both will work, but A is correct.

Clarence

7 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

So, parts arrived from A/C Spruce.   Pop quiz: Are Tinnerman nuts installed as in A) or B)?  I think I know which one it is, just want to be sure.  Thx.

Tinnerman_install.png

You get this year's the prize for the best illustration accompanying a question :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yetti said:

AW crap fess up time.

Have 3 or 4 pairs of snap on needle nose, they can float between 3 or 4 locations.  Car, home, hangar, barn.   There is only one pair that have the red covers.   I knew they had gone missing but like a dog they will usually show back up.  Doing the Dynon install, they were found under the comm shelf in the tail.   Found by feel and not by sight.

Had a friend that worked in United's maintenance facility at SFO. They found so many tools left inside wings and other cavities that they made a rule that you could not ever lay a tool down on or in an aircraft. Try that. It's really hard. I have another mechanic friend that lined all his tool chest drawers with foam cut out for each tool so that he can quickly spot any that are missing. At the museum, the mechanic makes us stop an hour before quitting time and clean everything up and inventory all the tools.

Skip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

You get this year's the prize for the best illustration accompanying a question :)

Thanks.  Teleworking brings out the P.E. in me.

Tinnerman_install.png

Edited by 0TreeLemur
Revised to show correct type "B" screw.
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...