Mooney owner around Salt Lake City

Trailboss

Are there any Mooney owners around SLC that would be willing to help me convince my wife that this is the right airplane for us?  I'm looking for someone that wouldn't mind giving us a ride along and generally discussing the airplane.

Thanks,

I've been looking mostly at E's and possibly a 201...with dreams of a 252.  Our families live in Kansas/Oklahoma and want something to take us there fairly often.  If the weather clears today, I was going to fly up to Logan with her just to spend some of my 172 rental hours.

A "J" (201) is a wonderful airplane - will you be traveling with your bride alone, or do you have additional passengers (children/whomever)?  I applaud your reaching out to area owners and hope you have a great chance to follow-up!

U42 to APA was one of my most frequent flights. The flat tops go up to 12500 just east of Meeker. 12500 is the minimum altitude to cross the front range on V-8 over Corona Pass. The direct line from Spanish Fork up the canyon to Myton puts you over the low point leaving or entering the Provo area. I have found this to be the best route through the mountains. VFR at 12500/13500 a N/A mooney would do just fine. Problems arise when IFR becomes an issue. With MEAs over 16500 entering the Denver area a turbo would make a big difference. I just sold my 1990 MSE a M20-J because I felt it inadequate for these trips. Without IRF and a Turbo your dispatch reliability goes down quite a bit. Crossing the Rockies without a turbo is not in my future. I had a 231 later converted to a Rocket that was great in that environment. I sold it 12 years ago. Replaced it about 3 years ago with the J and was so disappointed in the mountains that  I sold the J. Turbo or nothing for me. Those aren't the flatlands you are talking about.

We flew all over the country in the Rocket and my wife was good with it. The J made her nervous. After driving home from St George in weather that would have been no problem in the Rocket her attitude about flying in the J got worse and worse. Not knowing if we could make it home made her less willing to go in the first place.

I have a 231 and might be passing that way sometime in the next week.  If it works out, I'd be happy to stop by.

fluffy, please don't take this the wrong way.

I would never wish anything bad on anyone, especially somebody that I don't even know.

The first two times I read your post, this is what I saw:

"I have a 231 and might be passing away sometime in the next week. If it works out, I'd be happy to stop by."

I started laughing at myself when I realized my mistake. I hope laughter is the only response to this post.

Dave