New engine

Willmar has had my engine on and off a couple of times and done a nice job. No complaints.

How long ago was it that you worked with Willmar, my experience has been terrible but that is just in the past 2 years ever since Brian Negan bought it from Bruce Jagger. Bruce ran a top notch shop and the jokers that run it now can't even time a mag to spec or fill logs out or complete logs or actually accurately complete a log book entry (prop governor logged as overhauled, never serviced) alternator about fell off as nut was laying in cowl, severed ILS cable routed it though controls, didn't hook up tail light.

Just flat terrible experience. Go anywhere but Willmar, except to see paul at weep no more he is great!

The LB engine in my K was done by Poplar Grove by the previous owners.

It has over 1400 hours on it and still going strong.

The logs do not show any engine work after it was installed except timing and oil changes - no cylinders ever removed.

My lowest compression at last annual was 65 but that does not bother me.

I probably won't mess with that cylinder until in the lower 50s unless there is some over riding reason to do so like a bad borescope photo or rising oil consumption.

If I remember right, low compression by TCM specs is 45 or so.

It uses only between 0 and 1/2 quart for 25 hours.

Seriously, I never add oil between changes.

I will likely send the same engine back to them when the time comes.

Dave

Poplar Grove has an outstanding reputation from everything I've read.  Maxwell would be a great choice as well, but not close to you.  R&R'ing the engine isn't terribly challenging IMO, or at least removing it!  ;)  I just took mine off and it was straightforward...I took pics and labeled some wires.  There isn't a lot to it.

It took me 8 days to install it working mostly by myself (it takes two to line up the engine mounts). I also replaced all the hoses with the integral fire sleeve type which requires all new Adel clamps due to the different OD of the hoses.

I can't emphasize the importance of replacing hoses atleast every five years. At the first annual my mechanic said mine looked old and felt hard and should be replaced, I thought awwww they'll last a bit longer but didn't say it and went with what I was told. Now today six years later I have seen three instances where folks have had oil hoses fail and it's an expensive proposition that involves a non simulated engine failure. Replace the hoses it is cheap insurance, they will break!

Triple8s were they Teflon hoses? I haven't heard of a failure of those. The Mooney SMM says rubber hoses get replaced on a 12 year cycle but for Teflon it says "on condition". The Teflon hoses even take a permanent set as described in AC43.13 but if you don't kink them while disturbing them that they are still serviceable.

• 2 years later...
Who did you end up using to install your SB engine?

I had Max D put it on. I heard the folks down at Premier at FXE do a great job and are very professional. Ray B is the guy to talk to.
I ended up getting a factory new. I plan to have it for a while and wanted a known quantity.

Aron
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aron, I had my factory reman IO550N installed two years ago, and couldn't be happier.  CMI (TCM at that time) shipped the engine to my mechanic in TX, and I flew down for annual.  During this "extended annual", we removed old engine and prop, installed the new engine, sold the old prop, shipped the old engine core back to CMI, and the costs were exactly what CMI and my mechanic quoted, so the budget stayed intact.  All in all, a wonderful experience.

Depending on where you choose to get your engine, they could ship to Don if that's who you choose.  Not sure if you're a proponent of user-assisted annuals and maintenance (or if Don's shop allows that), but if so, you may want to factor that into your decision-making when looking for a shop.  I've only gone through this twice (user-assisted both times), but you're welcome to PM if you have additional questions.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

Aron, I had my factory reman IO550N installed two years ago, and couldn't be happier.  CMI (TCM at that time) shipped the engine to my mechanic in TX, and I flew down for annual.  During this "extended annual", we removed old engine and prop, installed the new engine, sold the old prop, shipped the old engine core back to CMI, and the costs were exactly what CMI and my mechanic quoted, so the budget stayed intact.  All in all, a wonderful experience.

Depending on where you choose to get your engine, they could ship to Don if that's who you choose.  Not sure if you're a proponent of user-assisted annuals and maintenance (or if Don's shop allows that), but if so, you may want to factor that into your decision-making when looking for a shop.  I've only gone through this twice (user-assisted both times), but you're welcome to PM if you have additional questions.

Steve

I think he had it installed with Don Maxwell a couple of years ago.