POH Binder Replacement

aggiepilot04

With a little time and effort, you can scan each page of the POH into a .pdf document.  The Goodreader app will then let you carry it with you on your phone and iPad.  You can even arrange the document with tabs and indexes.  This can save wear and tear on a 20-year old book. 

• 7 years later...

Old thread updated for those who use search function...info from Mooney regarding POH binder replacement.

Thanks for the inquiry – The Older “Blue” Binders with Gold silkscreen are no long used – Currently we use 2 types 1 is a Clear Vue Binders from an office supply store (Quill P/N 901-585857) The other is a Leather Binder with an embossed Mooney Logo, the part number is POH-LEATHER BINDER and can be priced and purchased through our Authorized Mooney Service Centers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Think of the passenger comfort afforded by the leather binder…

1) Let’s say you are a first time passenger flying with this super diligent Mooney pilot…

2) He says… “for the record, I want to check on a few details prior to T/O…”

3) He then pulls a ragged blue vinyl notebook out from behind a chair… mentions the barf bags that are in there as well.

4) Your first thought…. Is this pilot on his first flight too?  Why would he need to learn how to fly the plane from that ragged book…? :)

5) If it was a well worn leather binder… that would make all of the difference….

6) It is typical of fine automobiles to have a leather case for the car’s POH….

Now we need to know the price… X-Mas is coming, and forever-planes deserve a good leather binding…. 

PP thoughts only, not an office supply salesman…

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

I scanned mine and printed it out in two books years ago. One I keep in my office and one at home. The original is required equipment, that stays in the aircraft and never leaves. I could have put it on an iPad, I suppose, but what I found more useful was to create my own checklist and put that on a pdf that is in Foreflight Documents. I use it every flight, all the time. The landing, takeoff and power charts are all to scale so it is not very useful to put them in another format where the scale changes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Thanks, but I was more interested in how much Mooney has the guts to charge for a leather binder with a logo:)

• Like 1

Make sure that if you are using it as your legal AFM in the aircraft that it has the aircraft serial number on it. I see students with generic poh’s in their aircraft which doesn’t meet the legal requirement for serial number specific updates for stc’s. If you don’t have that one you’ll need a mechanic to recreate it. 

24 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Make sure that if you are using it as your legal AFM in the aircraft that it has the aircraft serial number on it. I see students with generic poh’s in their aircraft which doesn’t meet the legal requirement for serial number specific updates for stc’s. If you don’t have that one you’ll need a mechanic to recreate it. 

All I tossed from the original AFM was the back cover and spine. Do you have a pic of what you’re talking about? TIA

The FAA approved manual for me E is in bad shape and is 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, being bored I created a MSWord doc that is word for word and is on 1/2 sheets, purchased a Day Planner that zips up and pitched the innards, printed my 1\2 sheet version on heavy stock and all is good, also have PDF on my iPad and the original lives on the hat rack

• 2 weeks later...

An example of a POH from the 90s…

There are many personalized sections like the weight and balance section… and the basic operations of all the installed avionics…

Starting with the first page…

+1 for having a real copy for the IPad and home use… or get a hangar home to save on the cost of a copy….  :)

Misplacing this thing could get expensive to replace…. Fully updated…

Best regards,

-a-

B62B9A79-5300-4AA6-A9A9-BC0E2808D78D.jpeg

On 9/14/2021 at 2:30 AM, carusoam said:

An example of a POH from the 90s…

There are many personalized sections like the weight and balance section… and the basic operations of all the installed avionics…

Starting with the first page…

+1 for having a real copy for the IPad and home use… or get a hangar home to save on the cost of a copy….  :)

Misplacing this thing could get expensive to replace…. Fully updated…

Best regards,

-a-

B62B9A79-5300-4AA6-A9A9-BC0E2808D78D.jpeg

So I have everything EXCEPT this (seemingly VERY important) first page! I'm going to go through my paperwork and see if I have it. IF I don't, what would yall recommend?

I see several FAA Supplemental Approval pages for various installed equipment (e.g. KNS 80, K150, etc.) but not the first page similar to the one posted above.

Regulations require an AFM which can be thought of as a POH specific to a particular airframe. Practically speaking, that first page is what identifies the document as an AFM but the interior sections contain information specific to the airplane when it was delivered such as W&B, equipment lists and supplemental information. 

I believe only Mooney can reproduce an AFM. I would contact them. 

Skip

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For those patiently waiting. POH-LEATHER BINDER just over 0.2 AMU.

also Mooney can send you a pdf copy of a generic POH but you have to order from a MSC for an actual POH for your specific aircraft. Not sure the cost of that.  But the difference is really in the weight and balance section and the supplements. It’s easy to print replacement pages if you just need the general pages. Ie a specific page torn out or missing. 

4 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

For those patiently waiting. POH-LEATHER BINDER just over $200. 

also Mooney can send you a pdf copy of a generic POH but you have to order from a MSC for an actual POH for your specific aircraft. Not sure the cost of that.  But the difference is really in the weight and balance section and the supplements. It’s easy to print replacement pages if you just need the general pages. Ie a specific page torn out or missing. 

In the Cessna t206h Cessna charged three times the poh cost to include that page and you still need to go through and verify all your stcs.