430-430W...Finally doing it!

kris_adams

Hi Everyone,

I guess I'm the last person to upgrade my 430 to a 430W.  I just dropped it off at Precision Aviionics in Griffin GA.  They said it wold take about a week to get the unit back from Garmin.  I'm excited to try the new approaches with it but the real reason I got it done was it was having a problem driving the CDI. 

While I was there I saw another Mooney (N252D).  It was beautiful.  I'm not sure if that is a Mooneyspacer but it sure was a nice bird.

Kris

I have had the new Avidyne 540 on order for over two years and if and when I ever get it I was thinking about a GPSS as well, what are you guys using or recommend?

Mine came as part of the Aspen Avionics package I installed. I do know there are others out there.

As for the Avidyne 540, i read somewhere they are releasing the non TSO version soon. If you are tired of waiting, the Bendix King 770 should be released if not, soon.

Not sent from my underpriced Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I just bought a 430W and had it installed at Avionics Unlimited at KCXO along with GMA340 audio panel and GI106A...

Out went the old Apollo NMC2001 GPS, MAC1700 radio and KI-208...

Still overseas, but can't wait to fly it.  

• Like 1

I used a portable Garmin 496 in my previous Mooney, and my current Mooney was purchased with the 430w already installed.

i'm still AMAZED by the difference in capability with GPS approaches.  I did not have that capability at all in the previous Mooney, which was fine, but the proliferation of more and more GPS approaches, and precision approaches available witt the "w" make it worth it.

Welcome to the party.

Does your home airport have a GPS approach?  I had an NDB, VOR, and GPS approach at mine, the GPS allows me to get into my home drone on days where I'd have to divert in the past.  Those last 2-400 feet make a BIG difference.

-Seth

Kris, isn't Scotty the best?  Hardest working guy I know and knows his stuff.  Same for Jackie. 

That was my 252.  You are very generous with your comments.  Scotty was fixing some small items on my plane (replacing some burned out wheat bulbs and putting in a co-pilot push to talk).

BTW, my 530 is non-waas.  So, I may be the last one to convert.  

Let me know if you need a right seater or a ride to-fro Griffin (currently based at FFC).  I have been flying safety pilot for a guy with an F-33 Bo at LZU to get me more right seat instrument time while finishing up my double-eye.

William

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I guess I'm the last person to upgrade my 430 to a 430W.  I just dropped it off at Precision Aviionics in Griffin GA.  They said it wold take about a week to get the unit back from Garmin.  I'm excited to try the new approaches with it but the real reason I got it done was it was having a problem driving the CDI. 

While I was there I saw another Mooney (N252D).  It was beautiful.  I'm not sure if that is a Mooneyspacer but it sure was a nice bird.

Kris

Kris -- by any chance did you buy your Mooney from someone in North Carolina? Back in the early 80s I flew with a co-worker who got me hooked on Mooneys. He and I actually flew his Mooney to one of the Kerrville Homecomings. His Mooney looked just like your's (color scheme). That was in New Jersey. I heard he retired (he was 30 years older than me back then) and moved to North Carolina. Just curious...

William, yes, Scotty is amazing.  Jackie worked on my Grumman 10+ years ago and was quite good as well.  Overall I think Scotty is one of the most positive vendors I deal with in respect to the Mooney.

Marauder, I bought my 201 from a gentlement named Max Coates who does live in North Carolina.  He only had it for a year or two.  He bought it from his good friend that had it in NC for 8 or 10 years as well.  I'm guessing it is the same plane!  Small world.

Kris

William, yes, Scotty is amazing. Jackie worked on my Grumman 10+ years ago and was quite good as well. Overall I think Scotty is one of the most positive vendors I deal with in respect to the Mooney.

Marauder, I bought my 201 from a gentlement named Max Coates who does live in North Carolina. He only had it for a year or two. He bought it from his good friend that had it in NC for 8 or 10 years as well. I'm guessing it is the same plane! Small world.

Kris

Do you know if the guy he bought it from was named Hildrebrand (last name)? I lost track of him and he would be in his mid 80s. The plane does look like it but the FAA history only goes back to 2000. Would love to track him down. He is the one that lit my Mooney fire.

I used a portable Garmin 496 in my previous Mooney, and my current Mooney was purchased with the 430w already installed.

i'm still AMAZED by the difference in capability with GPS approaches. I did not have that capability at all in the previous Mooney, which was fine, but the proliferation of more and more GPS approaches, and precision approaches available witt the "w" make it worth it.

Welcome to the party.

Does your home airport have a GPS approach? I had an NDB, VOR, and GPS approach at mine, the GPS allows me to get into my home drone on days where I'd have to divert in the past. Those last 2-400 feet make a BIG difference.

-Seth

Mine has an ILS (been out of service due to runway extension), NDB to runway 14, and that's it of the conventional approaches. 32 and 1-19 all have RNAV approaches to LPV mins.

430W will make all the difference in the world.

Welcome to localizer performance with vertical guidance approaches...also to T routes and rnav sids and stars....navigation is so much more logical and easier....my home airport has lpv and ils ,but the faa will eventually decomission Ils because they are expensive to maintain!!....

• 2 weeks later...

Kris, isn't Scotty the best?  Hardest working guy I know and knows his stuff.  Same for Jackie. 

That was my 252.  You are very generous with your comments.  Scotty was fixing some small items on my plane (replacing some burned out wheat bulbs and putting in a co-pilot push to talk).

BTW, my 530 is non-waas.  So, I may be the last one to convert.  

Let me know if you need a right seater or a ride to-fro Griffin (currently based at FFC).  I have been flying safety pilot for a guy with an F-33 Bo at LZU to get me more right seat instrument time while finishing up my double-eye.

William

I too have the non-WAAS 430. It's slaved to an HSI. This is the panel in my C-model.---->  http://screencast.com/t/uur07JBmPL8b

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get down and get the upgraded radio installed last week.  I haven't had a lot of time trying it out as I had to rush off to NJ and then wait for the Atlanta airport to re-open so I could get back.  I was laughing at the irony that on Wednesday Newark was open but my flight to ATL was cancelled due to winter weather in Georgia.

I played around with the new WAAS features a little and really like the new vertical guidance. 

In case anyone is interested, my total bill was $3500 and that included about $100 in misc panel cleanup.  They did not have to replace the cable to my antenna.

Kris