Garmin 430W GPS antenna problem.

Mooneymite

I'm still trying to get my local Garmin guy on the same page with Trek. My GPS is still down for now.

I really appreciate Garmin via Trek stepping in with some answers/solutions. Thank you!

However, as a pilot consummer, registered owner, I would have really appreciated a heads up letter from Garmin before this happened so that I could have dealt with the problem in a knowlegeable fashion when my 430W quit without warning. It makes me wonder if there are other known, but undisclosed problems lurking.

I hate being a test pilot.

I definitely understand.  Thanks to your post, it won't catch me 100% off guard, and I'm better equipped to handle the situation.

LOL! The comments were not directed towards you, just towards one of your biggest fans.

Not directed at you at all, Trek. We have a somewhat irrational member who for, the time being, loves Garmin. He'll show up sooner or later....darn it. ^_^

Glad you've joined us.

• Like 1

While we have a full agenda for this years' Mooney Summit, Trek, I certainly want to extend an invitation to Garmin to present at next year's event. Mooney Pilots' would love to have some one on one face time with Garmin outside of the major shows. Continental Motors Group recognized this and as a result, became the Mooney Summit Dinner sponsor yesterday. I will be happy to forward you details of the event to plan for next year if you would like. Thanks for participating on this forum, Trek. While we might not like to hear the facts sometimes presented us, we can deal with facts vs. hearsay and speculation.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had a complete loss of GPS signal for both the Garmin 430W & 530W while flying on an IFR flight plan navigating via GPS in 2010 from NC-GA about a year after the install. The loss of both GPS signals lasted 20 minutes. There were no GPS satellite outages at the time confirmed by FSS. I called Garmin the next day & they advised me that they would replace both GPS antennas under warranty, as they had issues with some of the antennas. After EPPS replaced the antennas, I haven't had a problem since. I just replaced the Garmin navigators this week with the new GTN 650/750 w/two new antennas. I'm hoping that these new antennas won't give me problems like before.

My 430W is up and running with a new antenna. Everything is back to normal.

Because my local Garmin dealer told me that Garmin would not replace it under warranty, I ordered one from the manufacturer shipped to me. After Trek posted, I re-contacted my local Garmin dealer and he changed his story. However, since I'd already ordered from Aero Antenna, I ended up taking the replacement cost on the chin.

Lesson....don't necessarily trust what your local Garmin dealer tells you.

I hope my new antenna (List price of $352 + installation) is an improvement over the original.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

My 430W is up and running with a new antenna. Everything is back to normal.

Because my local Garmin dealer told me that Garmin would not replace it under warranty, I ordered one from the manufacturer shipped to me. After Trek posted, I re-contacted my local Garmin dealer and he changed his story. However, since I'd already ordered from Aero Antenna, I ended up taking the replacement cost on the chin.

Lesson....don't necessarily trust what your local Garmin dealer tells you.

I hope my new antenna (List price of $352 + installation) is an improvement over the original.

Mite,

This is HUGELY helpful Mite. Trek, I have exactly the same issue with my 430w, intermittent loss of all GPS satellites on my 430, which when it happens it takes out all traffic input from my active traffic, and mfc display..and it also takes out my stratus/iPad position. I have had my 430 swapped out for a loaner, my antenna changed, and still get loss of signal. I'll pm you Trek as my avionics shop was not given any known issue advice before they changed the antenna. Also, even after my shop changed the antenna, I still have the same issue.

Thanks Mooneymite for bringing this up, I'm hoping to find a solution to this as it's maddening!

• Like 1

Yesterday, about 3 minutes after takeoff, my 430W completely lost lock.  The satellite acquisition page popped up and showed no satellites.  No amount of cycling on/off would get it to work.  I got out my trusty hand-held GPS and....it took a long time to lock on and periodically lost satellites!  I told ATC and continued home in clear skies.

Today, I called Garmin and was told that the early version of the WAAS up-grade antenna was "probably the problem".  Apparently Garmin knows all about this.  According to Garmin, in certain failure modes it blocks GPS signals in the immediate vicinity.  Not only do you lose your 430W, but it prevents other GPS from working reliably!

Anyone else come across this?

Strangely, my 430 acquired and locked on after landing.

This phenomenon also happens from a combination XM/GPS antenna with a faulty XM portion. It is instantly cleared by pulling the XM device circuit breaker. This problem is not new and I discovered it in 2009 after opening a new Cirrus Service Center in Fort Lauderdale.

• 3 years later...
On 11/5/2014 at 8:31 PM, philiplane said:

This phenomenon also happens from a combination XM/GPS antenna with a faulty XM portion. It is instantly cleared by pulling the XM device circuit breaker. This problem is not new and I discovered it in 2009 after opening a new Cirrus Service Center in Fort Lauderdale.

To reawaken an old thread, I just came across this exact problem.  GA35 antenna, GTN 650.  Noticed loss of signal when I banked the aircraft earlier, now antenna completely dead.  So are the other portable GPS systems in my airplane.  Just had 650 bench checked, was perfect, now airplane goes into shop on Thursday.  Assume no recourse from Garmin?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sailon said:

To reawaken an old thread, I just came across this exact problem.  GA35 antenna, GTN 650.  Noticed loss of signal when I banked the aircraft earlier, now antenna completely dead.  So are the other portable GPS systems in my airplane.  Just had 650 bench checked, was perfect, now airplane goes into shop on Thursday.  Assume no recourse from Garmin?

They didn’t help me out- ended up having to buy a new antenna... but my antenna was 6-7 years old.  Maybe is yours is only a year old, they will replace it under warranty?

be thankful you weren’t navigating to a divert field in imc when it happened to you... it was a very sketchy situation for me when it happened- I’m glad I was able to dust off my VOR/DME-> ILS skills (the area I was in doesn’t have rapcon or lowalt radar for vectors... TWF for those wondering).  

Glad you’re safe though!