Removing the cowling

I need to remove the cowling to check the exhaust system.  On the old C model this was easy.

Are there any instructions on how to remove the cowl on the M20J?  I have not seen any in the POH or maintenance manual.

I assume you have to disconnect the cowl flaps and the landing light.  How do you reach them with the cowl on?

Seems like a rather involved process for something that should be done once every couple months.

Thanks

Mark Jackson

To avoid damage to the cowling or scratches on spinner, it is better to get someone else to help

If you don't have someone nearby, then "hanging" the lower cowling with a piece of safety wire will keep one side loose enough so you can do / undo  the fasteners on the other side

Don't forget to disconnect / reconnect the landing light    

The landing light wires have connectors close to the fire wall.  I disassemble the flap conectors, remove all the lower screws and camlocks. If I'm by myself I use a bungee cord over the engine and put the hooks through the camlock holes and remove the last to upper camlocks. This keeps the cowl from possible falling on the floor. from its pretty managable as long as the prop is parallel to the ground.

It's a lot easier with four hands that's for sure!  But taking the top half off is easier.  There are some screws on the front part of top cowling.  The cowl flap connectors are easy too.  Just open the cowl flaps, reach inside open the spring held connector and they free fall.  Then disconnect the two landing light wires.  Removing and replacing the bottom half is where a second set of hands helps out a lot.  I have used a padded chair to rest one side on while I opening the other side.  You just don't want it to fall and get scratched.  My first time was frustrating but it gets easier once you develop a system that works for you.

Hi Mark,

Ideally two set of hands makes the removal easiest. You'll need to remove the screws behind the prop spinner as well as the screws at the front outer corners. The rest are usually Camloc 1/4 fasteners, turn then left to loosen and carefully lift off the top cowl.

To remove the lower cowl open the cowl flaps fully, reach in and slid the outer collar up then release the coupling off the ball stud which is connected to the arm on the cowl flap. Disconnect the landing light wires, usually on the right side near the oil door.

Release the Camlocs around the firewall, don't forget the two between the cowl flaps, carefully lower the cowl,from the plane. Three blades props make it a bit tougher.

Since the J model Mooney has made the best engine cowling of any brands I work on.

Clarence

Similarly, I have found that a plastic storage tote with a pair of boat cushions on top provides a soft surface to prevent scratches and is just the right height as the bottom cowl lowers down onto it.  

Makes cowl removal an easy 1 man job.  The boat cushions then live inside the tote to keep them clean.

899441002823lg.jpg