Buyer Beware!!! 1966 M20E $35000

For whatever its worth..

the moony, N6098Q is scheduled to be picked up this saturday and flown to Don Maxwell's shop to fix the weep, which he

supposedly fixed 18 months back.

If it's going to Don's anyway, maybe you and Tony can make this deal work? 

For whatever its worth..

the moony, N6098Q is scheduled to be picked up this saturday and flown to Don Maxwell's shop to fix the weep, which he

supposedly fixed 18 months back.

Leaks on 50+ year old sealant are difficult-to-impossible to fix without doing a full strip and reseal.  Don will tell you that if you ask too, so no need to imply something about his work.

• Like 2

If it's going to Don's anyway, maybe you and Tony can make this deal work? 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ship has sailed.... not that I wouldn't love to own this plane at the price point I had agreed to pay TWICE (providing it passed Don's inspection), but because... well I need not continue to relive the past.  

Listen I'm a reasonable guy with cash looking to buy an airplane sooner rather than later.  As it was pointed out, if I was offering to pay for the ferry pilot, and a PPI/Annual at Maxwell's, I can't make myself anymore of a buyer than that.  I understand that people get a little funky when money and Mooneys are in the picture, but I was offering him an easy $1000 for owning a plane for a week.  How many of you would love to turn around and sell the your plane for more than you paid for it?

If he made me an offer I couldn't refuse and allowed me to have Don inspect it(non-negotiable), and put it in writing; sure I'd consider it, but as Alan has said I'm a bit optimistic sometimes:)

He "thinks" its a solid plane though he has never seen it in person, and he is unaware of discrepancies becuase he purchased the plane as-is where-is.

I offered to pay for a ferry pilot of Dari's choosing to ferry the plane to Don Maxwell's shop, arguably one of the best and fairest Mooney shops around.  He told me this plane would not go to a MSC because they will "tear (him) a new ***hole."  and "Anyone who wants to take a 66'Mooney to a MSC is a moron." 

A few people on this forum would disagree.

I have known Don for years and have had him do prebuys for clients, annuals on my plane and play bartender at Oshkosh. Don and his guys will squawk EVERYTHING they find on a prebuy, that is their job. It is up the the seller and buyer to determine what is important to resolve or not. If the plane has an airworthiness item needing attention, Don will squawk it. If it has a missing trim screw, Don will squawk it. He has to, someone might sue him if he didn't.

Just how good of a prebuy would it be if he didn't? If a seller really doesn't want Don to do a prebuy, he is probably afraid of the airworthiness of the plane. Most sales contracts are written that airworthiness items are the responsibility of the seller and non airworthy items the responsibility of the buyer.

• Like 1

Exactly!

it's just like the inspection on a house should be before you buy! The inspector, if he is good, finds the ALL issues - large and small - including logbook entires or lack of logbook entries ... and a discerning buyer is able to determine which squawks are the big ones he wants fixed or a price adjustment for ... Knowing the seller is not going to fix absolutely everything ...

The problem in general is that a buyer , especially an inexperienced one , will expect the plane to be 100% , 99% of them are not , So they go through the negotiations before the prebuy expecting the seller to pay for everything ,   In my experience , I have done the negotioations with the understanding that negotiation is closed and the prebuy will determine the sale or non sale of the aircraft.... Its OK not to buy the aircraft ,     With most buyers the first year of searching for an aircraft , is really "tire kicking" learning whats out there , and what to expect..... There are definite reasons that similar aircraft may be 20 , 30 , or even 50 K difference in asking price...

• Like 3

Alan you are right but this is not my first airplane. I'm not expecting the thing to look like it did when it rolled off the line. If it's airworthiness issues and less than $500 I'm not going to let that stand in the way of a good deal. If it's $5000 to fix I'd like to know that going into it. Having bought a Mooney and not having it inspected by a MSC I learned this lesson the hard way. Out of limits old style gear pucks that made it through the pre buy but were over .5" out of spec 3 months later and the corrosion which ultimately scraped the bird 15 months after purchase didn't just appear out of nowhere. The real key is my only requirement was to have there plane inspected by Don before money was exchanged.

• Like 1

Alan you are right but this is not my first airplane. I'm not expecting the thing to look like it did when it rolled off the line. If it's airworthiness issues and less than $500 I'm not going to let that stand in the way of a good deal. If it's $5000 to fix I'd like to know that going into it. Having bought a Mooney and not having it inspected by a MSC I learned this lesson the hard way. Out of limits old style gear pucks that made it through the pre buy but were over .5" out of spec 3 months later and the corrosion which ultimately scraped the bird 15 months after purchase didn't just appear out of nowhere. The real key is my only requirement was to have there plane inspected by Don before money was exchanged.

I was'nt singleing you out , Tony , just stating what is out there , There are 30K planes and 60K planes , there is definitely a difference.... 

• Like 1

He "thinks" its a solid plane though he has never seen it in person, and he is unaware of discrepancies becuase he purchased the plane as-is where-is.

I offered to pay for a ferry pilot of Dari's choosing to ferry the plane to Don Maxwell's shop, arguably one of the best and fairest Mooney shops around.  He told me this plane would not go to a MSC because they will "tear (him) a new ***hole."  and "Anyone who wants to take a 66'Mooney to a MSC is a moron." 

A few people on this forum would disagree.

When I bought my plane, it went to Don's for PPI and to address the squawks found. 8 months later, it went to Don's for an annual. I had some field maintenance done at my home field, but this summer, the plane is going back to Don's for an annual. He's maybe an hour flight away, so no compromise. 

I guess I'm a double moron... and I'm perfectly fine with it.  :lol:

• Like 1

Talk about throwing money into a bottomless pit..........  Strike that , my trophy wife is rarely "bottomless"

At least with a boat or a plane you can sell it and get some of your money back. And when it goes it doesn't take half your stuff.

• Like 2

Well looks like someone agreed to spend $25.2k on an outside Mooney with no inspection....good luck!

I wish them good luck too. I don't understand eBay at all. Wrong generation I guess. Seems like the worst way to buy a plane. Anyhow, if there is a major problem with 98Q, I give it about 50/50 that the new owner ends up here asking questions.