Feeling Cheated... I think... GTN Series Questions

Marauder

I get aural traffic alerts in addition to the visual traffic alert. Marauder I have another question for you. I have the Aspen pro 1000 and 650 but unlike you in ur videos I cannot any course reversal depiction on my Aspen. I sent the video of u to Aspen and they said there's a problem at Garmin's end with the way they changed how they "label" the data that the Aspen can't read. They haven't been able to reconcile how u get though. Any thoughts on that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I understand what is not working. Can you tell me what mine is doing that yours is not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Urs is displaying course reversal "racetrack". Mine doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Not sure why mine would be and yours is not. What version of firmware are you running on the Aspen and the Garmin GTN?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, PTK said:

Wait and see what Garmin is rolling out on the 31st!

I read the Garmin announcement today but didn't see anything related to the display of wind direction and speed. All the press release talked about was a vertical guidance feature for VFR.

6 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I read the Garmin announcement today but didn't see anything related to the display of wind direction and speed. All the press release talked about was a vertical guidance feature for VFR.

But there is a utility available on the GTN equipment that lets you enter parameters and it will calculate the winds for you.

Or you can do what I do and use the SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) method.  For every mile/minute TAS, one degree of wind drift will cancel out the same number of knots of crosswind.  That is, at 150 KTAS (2.5 NM/minute), one degree of wind drift will cancel out 2.5 knots of crosswind.  So if I have 6 degrees of drift correction, I'm fighting 15 knots of crosswind.  You can then compare you TAS and groundspeed to estimate how far off the wing it is.  Then you can use some rough trigonometry values to figure out the wind.  Of course, you have to be a nerd like me.:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Just purchased air data computer (King KDC-481) from E-Bay. " Working when removed from aircraft". Ahem.

Anyway the dice has been rolled,

Not cost prohibitive if it functions. 

Did it come with the specific module needed to install it in the Mooney?

Not sure about specific module needed for Mooney, so probably not.
Did come with all wiring connectors still attached.
Avionics guy was excited when he saw the connectors.

He was probably excited because some of those connectors and pins are pretty pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro