Feeling Cheated... I think... GTN Series Questions

Marauder

No, no GDL-88.

Thanks! I just realized you are a 1975 F owner and you did the one piece window out back. I gotta do that mod...

Can you post more pictures of your plane in your gallery? I noticed a few differences from mine already, wonder what else changed. Curious to see what you have done to the interior.

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of GTN series, I have the GTN 750, and one of the options to show on the main screen is wind direction and speed. However, with that selected, nothing ever comes up. Any ideas why? If you go in one of the submenus (I think utilities), you can manually input the altitude, bearing, etc, and it will calculate it for you. To me that just seems like an electronic E6B...i think it should be able to calculate all this automatically. There is an option of "use sensor" but that does not seem to make any difference. Any thoughts/experience with this?

Stefan

speaking of GTN series, I have the GTN 750, and one of the options to show on the main screen is wind direction and speed. However, with that selected, nothing ever comes up. Any ideas why? If you go in one of the submenus (I think utilities), you can manually input the altitude, bearing, etc, and it will calculate it for you. To me that just seems like an electronic E6B...i think it should be able to calculate all this automatically. There is an option of "use sensor" but that does not seem to make any difference. Any thoughts/experience with this?

Stefan

This is a legitimate gripe that I share with you. What isn't mentioned anywhere is that this field is dependent upon an Air Data Computer being installed and interfaced to the GTN.

I believe the 530W displays this as standard equipment, which is another feature that was not carried over to the GTN. The other is a numeric display of which radial you are on when tuned to a VOR.

so is there a way to get this information into the GTN, and what kind of expensive equipment will it require?

You would need one of the following approved air data computers. None of these solutions are cheap.

King KDC 281

King KDC 481

Insight 1000

B&D 90004-003

• 3 years later...

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2014 at 1:57 PM, romair said:

so is there a way to get  wind speed and wind direction information into the GTN, and what kind of expensive equipment will it require?

You would need one of the following approved air data computers. None of these solutions are cheap.

King KDC 281

King KDC 481

Insight 1000

B&D 90004-003

Avionics shop told me,  now its just a software upgrade, no air data computer needed.

Is this correct?

28 minutes ago, DAVIDWH said:

so is there a way to get  wind speed and wind direction information into the GTN, and what kind of expensive equipment will it require?

King KDC 281

King KDC 481

Insight 1000

B&D 90004-003

Avionics shop told me,  now its just a software upgrade, no air data computer needed.

Is this correct?

I was also told that an air data computer would be needed. Even if purchased used, these units are not cheap.

1 hour ago, DAVIDWH said:

King KDC 281

King KDC 481

Insight 1000

B&D 90004-003

Is this correct?

Wait and see what Garmin is rolling out on the 31st!

I have a KT74 which provides TIS-B (plus traffic via a Stratus2 to my iPad) to my 430AW.  I get traffic alerts.  I have never thought much about how I get them, they are kind of a pain since TIS-B is only a portion of what I get on the iPad.  

My GTN750 has announced traffic a couple times here and there (and the screen auto zooms in on the traffic threat... last time it was SWA over top of RDU.......) Other then that it has remained silent. I try to avoid close encounters with terrain so I wouldn't know if it will announce terrain or not. I have it in the shop now for the OS update.

Edited by Mooney_Mike

I have a KT74 which provides TIS-B (plus traffic via a Stratus2 to my iPad) to my 430AW.  I get traffic alerts.  I have never thought much about how I get them, they are kind of a pain since TIS-B is only a portion of what I get on the iPad.  

It's TIS-A from the KT74, to get TIS-B you need a 978 capable box.
  • Like 1

Your probably right.  What I know about it, is that it is incomplete and annoying, so I am looking for the way to just turn it off.  I get much better traffic on the iPad (ADSB) when I want it.  But the point I was makiing is that I am somehow getting aural traffic alerts through just the 430 and the KT74.  Not sure how that is happening.

To get the full traffic "experience" you'd need the GDL-88. Whenever I fly it never ceases to amaze me not only how much traffic is around me, but the accuracy of where it is. I fly around a fairly congested area and the GTN does sound off quite often.

• Like 1

Your probably right.  What I know about it, is that it is incomplete and annoying, so I am looking for the way to just turn it off.  I get much better traffic on the iPad (ADSB) when I want it.  But the point I was makiing is that I am somehow getting aural traffic alerts through just the 430 and the KT74.  Not sure how that is happening.

You are probably flying near one of the TIS-A coverage areas. These areas were created around congested airports as part of the initial mode S push in the 1990s. It is being discontinued.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/air-traffic-services-brief-traffic-information-services

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes it mostly happens around metropolitan areas, just when I would prefer to see the nav screen on my 430, and to focus on such things as putting the gear down, a little screen pops up that I have to clear and "she" has to say something.  It is a pain.  But again, my point is that the aural alert appears to be generated by the 430.

Yes it mostly happens around metropolitan areas, just when I would prefer to see the nav screen on my 430, and to focus on such things as putting the gear down, a little screen pops up that I have to clear and "she" has to say something.  It is a pain.  But again, my point is that the aural alert appears to be generated by the 430.

I believe it is generated by the 430 and the trigger is the mode S from the transponder. From the Garmin 430 site:

"Add the GTX 330 Mode S transponder, and GNS 430W will also display Traffic Information Services (TIS) alerts that identify surrounding air traffic."

What I don't know is if and how you can turn it off.

This was one of the concerns I had when I started looking at the ATAS voice capability from L-3. I'm from the school that nuisance warnings tend to get ignored. From what I have read from L-3, they have built a logic into the voice alerts to only alert when a conflict truly exists.

I think this is the basis of the "TargetTrend" technology that is built into the GTN series. TIS-A probably doesn't take advantage of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

To get the full traffic "experience" you'd need the GDL-88. Whenever I fly it never ceases to amaze me not only how much traffic is around me, but the accuracy of where it is. I fly around a fairly congested area and the GTN does sound off quite often.

We have the GDL 88's in a few club planes and I have the GTX345R in the Mooney w my 750. I think these two provide the same data.  Has anyone noted any differences?

I get aural traffic alerts in addition to the visual traffic alert. Marauder I have another question for you. I have the Aspen pro 1000 and 650 but unlike you in ur videos I cannot any course reversal depiction on my Aspen. I sent the video of u to Aspen and they said there's a problem at Garmin's end with the way they changed how they "label" the data that the Aspen can't read. They haven't been able to reconcile how u get though. Any thoughts on that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk