Feeling Cheated... I think... GTN Series Questions

Marauder

I have been watching some videos on YouTube and Vimeo showing the Garmin 750/650 navigators in flight. I started noticing that some of these videos contained full cockpit audio and I started hearing annunications concerning terrain and other things like traffic. Even when I am playing around with the GTN trainer, I am getting annunications (see the pictures below).

For those of you with the GTN series, are there annunications coming out of your units and being fed either into the audio panel or the overhead speaker? If so, what are you hearing?post-9886-0-36120400-1389646036_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-51409600-1389646060_thumb.jp

The 750 manual (11.3) says TAWS-B is an option so I suppose I do not have it. But I don't recall any aural confirmation of the one time we saw the traffic system go to "traffic Alert" level (10.2.5) edit: on further consideration, I do think I get a "500 feet" alert that must be coming from the 750 VCO-500 table 11-3

I have a GTN 650, GDL88, and a Area 796 in a dock. I hear aural traffic alerts in my headset from the GDL88. I also hear aural terrain and obstacle alerts from the 796 in my headset. TAWS is optional on the GTN, and pretty expensive I think. But I get basically the same thing, unapproved, from the 796.

I have a GTN 650, GDL88, and a Area 796 in a dock. I hear aural traffic alerts in my headset from the GDL88. I also hear aural terrain and obstacle alerts from the 796 in my headset. TAWS is optional on the GTN, and pretty expensive I think. But I get basically the same thing, unapproved, from the 796.

I see the same. My set up is similar except I have the 696 in the dock.

• Like 1

The 750 manual (11.3) says TAWS-B is an option so I suppose I do not have it. But I don't recall any aural confirmation of the one time we saw the traffic system go to "traffic Alert" level (10.2.5) edit: on further consideration, I do think I get a "500 feet" alert that must be coming from the 750 VCO-500 table 11-3

Well, I have a 696 (linked) as well as the 750 so it might be that the 500 feet alarm is coming from the portable.

I have a 530W and a 696. I get both terrain alerts (Terrain Terrain, Pull up Pull up!) and a 500' above the runway alert.

They must be coming from the 696. I really like the 696. I have a GDL-39 and weather and traffic is output to it via a cable and I can still get both on Garmin Pilot on the iPad.

Dave

Audio from both the GDL88 and 796 are fed into the audio panel from behind. Nothing plugged in on the faceplate. I also get the 500' callout from the 796. 

The only downside to my setup is the 796 is on the music input, so that music is muted whenever the VHF is active. That means I might miss the 500' callout if ATC or another pilot is talking. I could turn off the mute, but I listen to XM on trips, and I do want that muted. I wish the 796 had two audio outputs, one for alerts (not muted) and one for music (muted.)

Panel jack, as in, a connection port mounted on the panel, not the audio panel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, the GMA 340 audio panel includes a 4 place intercom with 2 music inputs. The music inputs are beside the copilot headset jack and one of the rear seat jacks. The 340 allows isolation of pilot or crew so 2 or three headsets can talk and listen to XM independent of ATC/pilot or crew xmitions. The mini plug from the 696 goes to the copilot jack. The rear seat plug can be to an 8 track or turntable or whatever the kids use these days to boogie. 

Hmmm... Looks like I need to dig into this a bit. Dave -- I have the GDL-39, so I will play around with that as well. I know my PS Engineering audio panel has an audio in on the faceplate. Do you have it plugged into your audio panel or headset?

Audio panel - everyone plugged in hears it.

Hmmm... Looks like I need to dig into this a bit. Dave -- I have the GDL-39, so I will play around with that as well. I know my PS Engineering audio panel has an audio in on the faceplate. Do you have it plugged into your audio panel or headset?

My garmin Aera 560 gives aural alerts (terrain, pull up, pull up, 500', etc), if I plug it in to my aux port.

No alerts from any of my other stuff (gdl 39, 430W).

I have been reading a little bit. Looks like the Garmin HTAWS is available for fixed wing and helicopters -- and yes it is an option for both the GTN and GNS series GPS. I haven't been able to find anyone online who sells it. Probably an expensive option. I also learned that our class of airplane would fall under part c of the TAWS regulations. The good news is that it is optional for the number of seats we have and our typical 91 ops. I do find it ironic that a "portable" Garmin displays and announces terrain warnings as part of the standard box. Sent from my overpriced iPad using Tapatalk

You have been most generous with your avionics spending, especially as you're the Mooney CB President, so what's the issue with your iPad?

iPad3.family.032012.jpg

It is spending over double for the same performance. I had a Nexus 7 last year (first gen that I bought for $259). It actually outperformed the iPad mini I now own ($629) but the Nexus Achille's heel is that it just didn't run everything I wanted. In flight, with my Garmin Pilot, it was easier to see in direct sunlight, was fast, had a long battery life, built in GPS as part of the basic unit and was smaller than the iPad Mini. It just didn't have the available apps I use and more importantly, the Android version of Garmin Pilot was a watered down version of the iOS version.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mini. But it would be like paying over $10k for a WAAS GPS that should only cost $5k. Hey, wait a second... ;)

• Like 2

It is spending over double for the same performance. I had a Nexus 7 last year (first gen that I bought for $259). It actually outperformed the iPad mini I now own ($629) but the Nexus Achille's heel is that it just didn't run everything I wanted. In flight, with my Garmin Pilot, it was easier to see in direct sunlight, was fast, had a long battery life, built in GPS as part of the basic unit and was smaller than the iPad Mini. It just didn't have the available apps I use and more importantly, the Android version of Garmin Pilot was a watered down version of the iOS version.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mini. But it would be like paying over $10k for a WAAS GPS that should only cost $5k. Hey, wait a second... ;)

I have switched over to the Nexus 7. It actually connects flawlessly to the GDL-39 via bluetooth to Garmin Pilot compared to the iPad 2 which was flaky and used to stress me out during the critical phase of starting up the plane etc. I bought an old iPhone 4 which I used for iOS apps like Xavion and recording voice from the Zulu 2 headset. When Avare has geo-referenced plates, I will use the inbuilt GPS on the Nexus 7 for situational awareness on approaches. The GDL-39 GPS does not provide position updates to other apps on Nexus 7 except for Garmin Pilot. Sneaky.

I get traffic announcements from my 650, haven't flown near enough to terrain to find out if I get them. My panel has the GTN650 with a GTS330ES.

Jax -- do you have a GDL-88 onboard as well? As for terrain, the TAWS capability is an optional accessory for the GTN series. I know I don't have it. What I have learned is TAWS is a progression from the GPWS and EGPWS. Our class (less than 6 seats) and operation (part 91) of airplane has it being an option for us rather than a requirement. I don't think the stuff we are seeing on our portables meets the TAWS requirements, but they sure act like it.

I am waiting for the avionics shop to call back to find out more about it. I am trying to understand how you are getting traffic alerts. It may be that the squitter version of a transponder feeds the alerts in the GTN.

Sent from my overpriced iPad using Tapatalk