Great day to fly. Not so great outcome. Wing and Rudder damage.

My prop strike experience is not exactly applicable, there was no 3rd party or someone else's insurance involved. But FWIW, the insurance company was the least of my worries. QBE has been great. They advanced money for the engine and prop work as needed. And the shop that did the disassemble/reassemble has delivered the plane to me (last night). They are satisfied that the insurance company will pay them directly in a timely manner for their work which has been going on for almost 4 months. 

I am guessing that it is pretty standard practice for a shop to get advances from the insurance company for major parts and services they have to pay for but to wait until the job is done for their part of the costs. 

I would strongly amen your conclusion that understating hull value is a very risky gamble. Saving a few hundred dollars a year on premiums might well cost you your airplane if a claim plus the recoverable salvage exceeds the stated hull value.

• Like 1

I love my airplane.  She was fast stock C and flew straight and true.  Somehow I don't think she will ever be the same ......but I sure hope so.....sad day.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if your wing isn't damaged other than the aileron, you'll be fine.  A new part is a new part.  The rudder is probably going to need to be replaced too, control surfaces just aren't easy to repair unfortunately.  Still, not nearly enough damage to total the plane, even if you need some minor repairs inside the wing.

This plane suffered some minor taxi damage, was repaired and flies great now!

post-8693-0-46377600-1391219215_thumb.jp

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if your wing isn't damaged other than the aileron, you'll be fine.  A new part is a new part.  The rudder is probably going to need to be replaced too, control surfaces just aren't easy to repair unfortunately.  Still, not nearly enough damage to total the plane, even if you need some minor repairs inside the wing.

This plane suffered some minor taxi damage, was repaired and flies great now!

attachicon.gifmooney-wreck.jpg

that looks like a lot.   How did they repair that? Slice the spar?  Swap the wing?

that looks like a lot.   How did they repair that? Slice the spar?  Swap the wing?

Naw... a little Bondo and it'll buff right out!

Seriously, new wing. Guess it was worth it. Different times I would guess.

Yes, the thought of a mod or two while at LASAR has crossed my mind more than a few times.  Funding, as usual, is the issue.  I would love to get the cowl enclosure done.....the wish list is long......

N2935L is still at L08, but the good news is a serviceable aileron and rudder have been installed as of this Friday and apparently it is ready for a ferry flight. Hopefully the ferry flight to LASAR will happen within the week.

A month has gone by since the incident.  This has been pretty much been the time table I have been expecting.  Still sucks but progress none the less.

I will be very interested in LASAR's opinion on this repair once they see the aircraft in person, esp. the paint match.  Original '67 paint on my not so pretty A/C blended with a fresh coat seems challenging.  While I would love a fresh coat of paint on the entire aircraft it isn't a priority. Should be interesting... 

-o

Yeah, thanks very much for the advice (everyone...very much appreciated).  I am currently in the SF Bay Area on a consulting gig.  I would consider a drive to Lampson this Friday before driving back home if my A/C is there.  I haven't seen her for a month......just miss her.....and so does my dog Pono.....

btw, I am not personally ferrying the A/C to Lampson...I do not want the liability exposure.  I will definitely be picking up the A/C once repairs are completed so I can address any squawks/discrepancies before I sign off on the repair.  The ferry cost, along with my travel to pick up the aircraft, will be part of the insurance claim.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished an oil change at LASAR after I took a walk over to their paint shop and took a look at your mooney. They had the new skins all done with the base coat and their man showed the repairs to the wing. Looks real nice. They do great work.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update....talked to LASAR yesterday and it looks like the repair might be done by the end of the month......that would be great.....

now I just need to find a good way to get up there....

LASAR can arrange a ferry pilot to come get you, but the most effective way might be to fly commercial to an airport near them and then have them pick you up there. Santa Rosa is near them and they have a scheduled air carrier there. Southwest goes to Sacramento International and that's not too far from them. I think Ukiah has scheduled service too and that's close enough they could drive to get you I think.

Not to toss a wet rag into the mix but the forecast for the end of the month is rain and high winds. We were planning a trip to Carlsbad but are going to postpone due to weather. The trip is going to have 3 adults in our D 4 would be over gross other wise I'd be happy to bring you up.

• 1 month later...

So I was talking to the LASAR guys and I see that your baby has gone home. How did it turn out.

And on a side I Got A HANGAR today!

Congratulations on the hangar! It's a bitch making the payments every month, but the whole airplane ownership experience is very much amplified by a hangar. You're going to love it!