MAPA Safety Foundation PPP for 2014

Carl S

MAPA Safety Foundation PPP - 2014  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on attenting a Pilot Proficiency Program this year?

• Yes, Melbourne, FL - Feb 14-16
    • Yes, Tucson, AZ - Apr 25-27
    • Yes, Denver, CO - Jun 27-29
    • Yes, Roanoke, VA - Sep 5-7
    • Yes, Branson, MO - Oct 10-12
    • No.

I am starting to plan on attending one of the MAPA Safety Foundation's Pilot Proficiency Programs this year.  Tucson in April would be nice and let me visit my Alma Mater. However it is out as my wife has a convention in San Diego the same week. June in Denver looks pretty good but I have family in Fredericksburg VA, so Roanoke also looks interesting.

Who else is planning on going this year and to which venue(s)?

2014 PPP's

Melbourne, FL - Feb 14-16
Tucson, AZ - Apr 25-27
Denver, CO - Jun 27-29
Roanoke, VA - Sep 5-7
Branson, MO - Oct 10-12

--Carl

June in Denver is my vote.

Go play with some high density altitude ops and maybe a little mountain flying. Hopefully MAPA Safety will take advantage of the oppurtunity to get some flatlanders a little "Rocky Mountain High", especially since we lost a Mooney this summer at Lake Tahoe and we seem to loose a couple annually due to operations in areas of high terrain (Sedona, Angel Fire, etc). High DA ops should be a key interest item for all of us.

Tucson also has some nice elevation features to explore. Obstacle departure procedures for all my friends!

Either location means you'll have to deal with a little bit of brown stuff on your instrument approach plates, and I'm not talking about your own personal methods for recycling expired paper!

Can't make Melbourne work in my schedule, but it would be nice to get out of the northeast for a while. Will try Roanoke in the fall. It's time for this great program again.

Sent by Jim Flynn using Tapatalk.

June in Denver is my vote.

Go play with some high density altitude ops and maybe a little mountain flying. Hopefully MAPA Safety will take advantage of the oppurtunity to get some flatlanders a little "Rocky Mountain High", especially since we lost a Mooney this summer at Lake Tahoe and we seem to loose a couple annually due to operations in areas of high terrain (Sedona, Angel Fire, etc). High DA ops should be a key interest item for all of us.

Tucson also has some nice elevation features to explore. Obstacle departure procedures for all my friends!

Either location means you'll have to deal with a little bit of brown stuff on your instrument approach plates, and I'm not talking about your own personal methods for recycling expired paper!

Dave,

Same for me, in selecting Denver.  I don't recall who it was but I had a short exchange and conversation with another Mooneyspace individual who was considering MAPA and mountain flying.  Denver would be my pick IF, and I plan to find out if the MAPA is going to offer any Mountain Flying specific and for me Mountain Wave.  If memory severs me correctly I believe it was one of the guys involved with the formation flying.  Since I often fly in and around mountains including the Rockies. I often fly over the southern end of the Rockies around the Sangre de Cristo mountains where it is widely known that Serious and Deadly Mountain Wave action has occurred.  In all the years and all the mountain flying (never down low and never up a canyon type of flying) I am not sure I have experienced or more likely recognized a mountain wave and identified it as such.  And with all  the mountain flying I have done the absence of that understanding concerns me greatly.  I have always had a turbocharged aircraft and never just go fly just to poking around in the sky, when I fly I fly to get from point A to point B quickly, or for training so I am quite sure I have experienced a mountain wave and that is why it is even more disconcerting to me is I did not recognize that I had!!

Now my wife and I enjoy Country Music and we have been to Branson a few times and my bet is that is where she would vote for!.... shhhhhh We just wont tell her....

Lacee,

I'll reach out to MAPA and see what they have on tap for Denver. There are some great instructors out there in CO who we might convince to support the event with some mountain flying topics. Just to be clear I'm not talking about bush flying and landing Mooneys on gravel bars but rather safely operating into/out of areas of high terrain. Climb gradients, high DA, route planning, wx, etc. How to respect the rocks not fear them. I did offer to help 'em at Oshkosh so maybe I better follow up on that.

Lacee,

I'll reach out to MAPA and see what they have on tap for Denver. There are some great instructors out there in CO who we might convince to support the event with some mountain flying topics. Just to be clear I'm not talking about bush flying and landing Mooneys on gravel bars but rather safely operating into/out of areas of high terrain. Climb gradients, high DA, route planning, wx, etc. How to respect the rocks not fear them. I did offer to help 'em at Oshkosh so maybe I better follow up on that.

Well then it sounds like my Attorney: YES you can do, but not with this, not that way oh and certainly not any of the fun stuff....

To which I respond "well then with all those exclusions you list... what is left?"

Paying My fee, says HE!

Hope you make it, I think a great leader would be attaching a formation flight clinic..... either ahead or behind the PPP (just my 2 cents worth)

May be too much to pack into one event time for some, I don't know. 

I hope to participate at the Tucson PPP as an instructor providing we get ample signups. Last year we had a great turnout in Santa Maria, so I hope that continues again this year at Tucson.

Regarding Denver and Mountain Flying, traditionally there have been two distinct tracks or courses available to Denver participants:

- The traditional Mooney specific PPP curriculum of ground school and flight training that may lead to both a Flight Review (via Wings credit) and a IPC for those qualified. Two separate flights,  VFR and IFR portions are done or you may elect to do one of your flights as a night flight segment. 

- or -

- A Mountain flying specific ground school (all day Friday) and one longer flight session (Saturday or Sunday)  that visits several of the mountain airports that may include for example  Kremmling, Glennwood Springs (if your real proficient!), Aspen, and Leadville (America's highest airport). You'll not only talk about high density ops in the ground portion you'll get real world experience with a proven mountain CFI in your Mooney. The Mountain flying class is really an entirely different curriculum taught by local mountain flying CFI's and ideally suited for the pilot already very proficient in their Mooney wanting to get Mountain flying training in their birds and whom do not need the IPC. The Mountain flying course leads to a Flight Review only - it does not include IFR training.Those that have not attended a Mooney PPP or received Mooney specific instruction in their Mooney yet may be better served to attend a Mooney PPP first before the Mooney Mountain flying class but I don't recall any requirement to do so and think the choice is left to your better judgement. After all, the 3 day weekend is 100% geared to fulfilling your needs for training. But if you want to attend both curriculum, you'll need to attend two separate weekends. 

• Like 1

MAPA was very accommodating for those who needed the assistance of a copilot.

Some days things don't work in your favor. But MAPA gave me a "tailored To my needs" program to help me get going in the right direction.

Things like ferrying your plane to the location may be needed. They can help with that as well.

It's good exercise for your brain and body as well as your engine and airframe.

And you get to meet some pretty cool Mooney pilots!

Just saying,

-a-

I could go look all this up on the MAPA site, but I'll be lazy and ask you guys instead. :P  How much does it cost and to clarify, at the end of the weekend I end up with a signed off BFR, right? I think an IPC is a bit beyond a 3 day weekend for me as I haven't been current in about 8 years.

Cost is $845, Value is Priceless!

You can register and see more details here: http://www.mapasafety.com/registrations

Correct, your get a signed off Sticker for your logbook for a BFR as well as Wings credit for both the ground and flight activities. Those that can satisfactorily complete the IPC requirements also get an IPC. But that's not everyones goal, as previously mentioned above, you'll have the choice of working on whatever you want too beyond the standard VFR curriculum, which could be IFR procedures, Night time flight or more VFR maneuvers such as emergency power off landings etc - just talk to your assigned instructor about your personal goals and needs. Everybody is unique. 

The only things we don't do are touch & goes and the actual emergency manual gear extension for those with electric gears which is discussed instead. (Some years ago we had more than one plane attend where manual extension cable was no longer airworthy and broke - much better to practice this on jacks during your annual when its a required check anyway.)

There is also a reasonable fee for the optional banquet dinner that enables all of us enjoy dinner together and listen to a typically interesting guest speaker. One year our guest speaker couldn't make it last minute and we were treated to what I thought was the very best such presentation we ever had. One our students, a 231 pilot I had the pleasure of working with, was also the #2 guy at Ft Huachuca and gave us a very interesting talk on their work with UAV's and how congress had mandated the FAA to integrate UAV's into the NAS. It also turned out one of our Directors who worked for the FAA was involved in that project. It all made for a very memorable evening. So don't miss it! :)

- A Mountain flying specific ground school (all day Friday) and one longer flight session (Saturday or Sunday)  that visits several of the mountain airports that may include for example  Kremmling, Glennwood Springs (if your real proficient!), Aspen, and Leadville (America's highest airport). You'll not only talk about high density ops in the ground portion you'll get real world experience with a proven mountain CFI in your Mooney. The Mountain flying class is really an entirely different curriculum taught by local mountain flying CFI's and ideally suited for the pilot already very proficient in their Mooney wanting to get Mountain flying training in their birds and whom do not need the IPC.

Paul,

If that is indeed the plan for Denver can MAPASafety get that word out via the Log, this forum, and/or website? Excellent oppurtunity which I hope folks take full advantage of. Beautiful country and will really expand your skillset.

Thanks!

Since "past performance is not necessarily a guarantee of future performance" I sent an email off to Ralph to confirm. But generally the details of each of these events are published in the Log by Ted a bit before they're held - which is quite aways off from now. I should hear back very soon and will share it asap. 

Our MAPA Safety Foundation president, Ralph Semb, confirmed the Denver PPP will continue to offer both tracks this years as I described above. He suggested those registering for Denver that want to participate in the Mountain Flying Track let them know when they register or soonest to help them schedule instructors accordingly. Also look for a write-up in the MAPA Log shortly before each event, including the Denver event, that will provide all the details including hotel for the event etc. 

• 2 months later...

Just a reminder that the Tucson PPP is just a few weeks away -Apr 25-27. They're a great opportunity to enjoy a 3 day weekend totally immersed in all things Mooney while getting a Flight Review and perhaps IPC. See the MAPA log for details or the registration site: http://www.mapasafet...m/registrations

Hope to see some of you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk