Discovery Channel's "Dangerous Flights"

BigTex

It's entertaining but not that realistic.  I admit, I enjoy watching them, and it's always nice to have GA aicraft filmed in HD.  I have enjoyed them immensly, but here is some inside info - not trying to be negative:

Evidently the producer and director approached every well known ferry company and every one said no.  The main character in this show was created for the show entirely.  Ben, owner of www.theferrypilot.com is a friend of mine based at KGAI and he was one of those approached.  He let them know it was pretty boring work and they said, "don't worry, we'll add the drama."  Also, they wanted the customer's aircraft for an extra day to film for no extra compensation.  He said the producers did not understand that a client would not want an extra day added on with no compensation or no fee taken care of - Ben even asked if they would cover his commerical flights so that they could use the customer's plane for a day of filming.  Ben eventually said no, and evidnetly so did every other known group, and thus, the main character's new company was formed. 

As a sad note, in season 2, during a shoot, either the producer or director when flying in the camera ship died when the camera ship crashed on location. 

Watch a few episodes - they are fun and give you some insight as to different airpalnes - lot's of Bonanza's, I'm only on episode four but I've yet to see a Mooney.

I watch them on my iphone or ipad when I have a few minutes downtime here and there.

-Seth

Funny you should mention this show. I gained a few pounds over the holidays and have been riding my recumbent bike and watching the whole first season on my iPad through YouTube.

It may be staged, most of these show types are -- but there are some funny moments in it that we all can relate to. Like the episode with the Cheyenne in it. One problem after another.

Oh the drama, the humanity of it all.

A few things not answered about the ferry flight of the Cessna from Tracy to Poland is 1) Why they first flew west to San Francisco from Tracy when fuel was "so critically important", 2) Why did they then fly all the way south to southern California (with a diversion into Santa Barbara due to what did look appear to be a serious fuel leak) 3) why did they fly across the southern part of the United States only to head north to Rhode Island, and finally 4) why when departing Scotland for Poland were they concerned about the grass strip at their destination when it turned out to be hard surface? The episode appears to have been filmed during the spring/summer so winter weather didn't appear to be a factor.

As for the Merlin flight to Australia, not sure I would want to fly with these guys since there were several times when they were  "just minutes away from running out of fuel".

In episode five one of the guys is going to fly right seat in a Phenom for his very first time in a turbine (and glass cockpit) on a 14 leg journey from Sydney to Las Vegas. While going through the system check an aural warning sounds "TAWS system failure" to which the narrator says "they are in trouble because the plane won't start". A call to the manufacturer tells them to update the database, in which case we see him insert the SDC card. The next shot is of the MFD screen asking if he wants to update the Navigation database to an older effective date of 9/22/11 back to 7/29/10. That must have been the problem because they were on their way, albeit with a year old Nav database.

• Like 1

You guys have the patience of some great biblical character, Jobe I think...

I watched one episode. Couldn't get keep my eyes off it. But it was horrible "reality TV.". I guess I suspended my disbelief for a moment hoping it would be entertaining.

Pilots jump into a plane full of stuff and take off without anything being tied down. Nevermind no W&B. They mix up cases of champagne with a wedding cake in the cargo area.

After that, reality TV screams "don't watch me". Even when airplanes are in it. Even the weather channel has real helicopter stories. But, they're about a horrible injury or illness...with a challenging airplane flight?

What's next.... Jersey Shore combined with flying?

Title: pilots of the Jersey shore.

Description: Living the party life style and then get up to tow banners up and down the shore with a legal amount of hangover.....

Trying to be funny tonight,

-a-

• Like 2

I think you're confusing "Dangerous Flights" (which I have not seen) with that awful airplane repo show that I have seen a couple of times. THAT show had an airplane repo'd with champagne and wedding cake in the back that "shifted" in flight, requiring a precautionary landing to disentangle. Way too much fake drama, but how does it appear to non-pilots? Does either show create any interest in aviation, or do they perpetuate the myths that only rich guys fly those dangerous little planes around, it's a wonder they don't crash into houses and schools more often? Who was it who said 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'?

• Like 4

I think you're confusing "Dangerous Flights" (which I have not seen) with that awful airplane repo show that I have seen a couple of times. THAT show had an airplane repo'd with champagne and wedding cake in the back that "shifted" in flight, requiring a precautionary landing to disentangle. Way too much fake drama, but how does it appear to non-pilots? Does either show create any interest in aviation, or do they perpetuate the myths that only rich guys fly those dangerous little planes around, it's a wonder they don't crash into houses and schools more often? Who was it who said 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'?

The repo show was absolutely the worse, staged show I have ever watched. I'm sure Dangerous Flights had drama added in as well, but at least it was entertaining.

• Like 2

I love the repo show where the pilot gets taken down by the police when they show up when he's getting fuel and tells him and the cameraman to "Get down on the ground. NOW !". At least that was not staged like many of the other scenes.

BILL

What somebody needs to answer is why they always need to repossess the planes using clandestine methods under the cloak of night when they have a court order for confiscation of the multi-million dollar aircraft.

What somebody needs to answer is why they always need to repossess the planes using clandestine methods under the cloak of night when they have a court order for confiscation of the multi-million dollar aircraft.

I'm guessing the deadbeat owner doesn't know about the court order and they don't want the owner flying the plane to another country where repossession would be difficult

I admit..I watch it and look forward to it. There is not much on TV aviation related and I can only watch my "Ice Pilots" DVDs so many times. Since it looks like Aerial Tweeto (sp) hasn't been "Flying Wild" in Alaska lately, or atleast I can't find it anymore. I think I've seen every episodes of Coast Guard so I'm left with little aviation related TV.

Only thing to watch is the over dramatized "Dangerous Flights"..It's relaxing TV and funny at times. Makes you realize some of the junk out there and the demand for GA aircraft in other countries. I guess for now it will do until Aerial is over 18..Then we can only hope she is still flying and they start her own series :D.  As far as Dangerous Flights, I did notice that some of the MS comments about not liking "Dangerous Flights" had some pretty good details on most all the series so far. I think there are some closet watchers.

Dangerous Flights Anonymous sign-in:

"Hello Everyone, mine name is Tom and I'm a  Dangerous Flights watcher" :D   

Ice Pilots is fun. I know many of the people in it, and they are of course hamming it up for the reality TV elements. For more of a GA newsmagazine type show, check out "The Aviators" - think it's on iTunes, and it gets some play on cable. There's a Lake Amphibian segment in season 1 that I particularly like. 

:ph34r:

• Like 1

It's interesting to note that in all of these episodes, the only plane that appeared to be 100% reliable was the SR22 on the trip from Singapore to Ohio. The two Bonanza's, Cessna 206, Navajo, Cheyenne, King Air and even the new Phenom all had problems.

• Like 1

I think all these shows are fake.  Pawn Stars has an episode where they rebuild a basket case helicopter and fly it at the end of the show.  I took a weight and balance course from some helicopter instructors at the North Las Vegas airport and they say that helicopter is still in pieces sitting in a hanger at the airport.  Pawn Stars made the whole episode up and used another running helicopter in the end.

I say bring back real TV entertainment. Get rid of "Reality TV" junk. We remember primetime 9 pm evening TV as the days of Mannix, The FBI series (Sunday nights if I remember correctly), Cannon, Columbo, Gunsmoke the list is long but memorable..and maybe more realistic than today's "Reality TV". Showing my age I'm afraid.

• Like 2

I get enough "drama" when I watch the local TV weather reports.

Best I have seen was the weather reporter covered with about a ½ inch of snow on his overcoat and hat while the people walking on the street behind him didn't even have so much as a snowflake on them and no snow was falling. 

Same with cars.. I think that's because they usually know where to find them at night and the banks can beat the court costs.

BILL

I recall one episode where the shows "stars" were taxiing out a jet and stopped by local law enforcement. High drama ensued and in the last scene the court papers were handed over to a cop who essentially said "Everything looks in order, have a safe flight".

I recall one episode where the shows "stars" were taxiing out a jet and stopped by local law enforcement. High drama ensued and in the last scene the court papers were handed over to a cop who essentially said "Everything looks in order, have a safe flight".

never watched the show, but wouldn't you think you should start off by showing the court papers?