Upgrade cost of G1000 with GFC700 to WAAS

DOC

Brand new to site.  In process of purchasing 2008 Ovation gx3 with gfc700 AP.  What is the upgrade cost to get WAAS? What is the best option for ADS-B In/Out.  Should I push for the ADS-B for traffic or invest in Avidyne 600 or equivalent?

I would suggest that you talk to a radio shop about your traffic options.  The G1000 can be updated through Mooney and probably a Garmin traffic system can be added but at no small cost.  As far as I know Mooney controls all changes to their G1000 that is installed in your airplane.  

• 4 weeks later...

Any more information on this from Doc? I'd like to know if a solution found.

I looked into it previously, actually called Mooney and checked with my avionics shop. Mooney said that even though there is an upgrade path posted on the factory website, there is no support to do this and it is very old information. No upgrade by Mooney. I also got nowhere with Garmin. It could be practically impossible without being TSO'd, without the factory or Garmin support.

So... not 100% certain, but seems like a $50 thousand dollar problem or maybe impossible. I actually passed on a very nice GX Bravo because it had G-1000 and not WAAS and bought a round dial airplane. Easy to plug and play with a "component" system rather than a completely integrated EFIS system like the G-1000.

Too bad, there are some great G-1000 birds out there, but no WAAS, no LPV approaches, a very high performance airplane rendered dysfunctional. Also no ADS-B integration, and maybe more hidden problems with the 2020 requirements. 2020 not soon, but soon enough to affect aircraft resale value.

Any info appreciated! Happy Flying. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really a disappointing issue. About a 70k upgrade. The only good news is that it is unlikely the ADS-b requirement will be enforced by 2020 based on the latest congressional testimony. There will never be a justified return on investment for recreational GA. And the usefulness of the technology is questionable particularly in high traffic areas where the ADS-b is useless because there are too many alarms due to the number of planes in the air. In uncongested areas it works great-except there aren't any other airplanes to worry about. But at least we will all be looking inside the cockpit at the screen showing the airplanes we should avoid and we won't have to look out the windows anymore. I can't wait until I get clipped by the pilot who tells ATC that they have me on the "Scope" but actually got me confused with the aircraft that was one dot over on their screen and forgot to look out the window. Yes that close call has already happened more than once with the existing technology. Traffic technology is great but its main planned benefit is for commercial traffic which is why they try to sell us on the cool free weather we will get.