Why no Windows or Android based in Flight Map System

Garmin Pilot (GP) + Nexus 7 + GDL39 + Garmin 696 = heaven!

I have Avare as well, and plan to use that for IFR approaches once they have the geo-referenced plates working. I will keep GP with the basic subscription as it's currently more complete than Avare. The GDL-39 only works with GP for ADS-B traffic and weather, and I like that on the Nexus 7.

Plug in I-Pad instead of Nexus 7 and that's me. Happy as a clam...and typing on it right now with my Logitech keyboard. Nice to just pick it up and go. Selling a nice laptop on the internet right now...It is a great laptop that is light/portable and full of features...It was getting dusty once I got the I-Pad.

Scott has had a remarkable change since he got the Porsche. Warm and friendly with an overall positive attitude!

Scott are you driving it every day? Seems like good therapy.

Best regards,

-a-

NOPE.

SAME OLD GRUMPY GUY. JUST FASTER ON FOUR WHEELS TO =TWO WHEELS AND WINGS...

CAYMAN IS IN A SLUMBER UNDER HER COVER (14 DEGREES IN IOWA RIGHT NOW WITH SNOW/SALT COVERED ROADS) MISSED A COUPLE SHOTS AT A WILEY ROOSTER....BROWNS ARE NOT HELPING OUT MY PACKERS...I FEEL SOME GRUMPINESS COMING ON :)

• Like 1

Logitech makes a very nice keyboard that is Bluetooth. It also serves a cover when closed, I've been using the keyboard for 2 years now. There are also apps that will create,save and edit office compatible documents. I resisted buying the ipad for the same reasons you mentioned for about 2 years. I use it exclusively now and don't even travel with a laptop anymore, it's probably the most used purchase I have made in the last 2 years. The computer at home might get used once a week now.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover

I too use the Logitech keyboard/case with my iPad2.  I resisted the iPad but then flew with a buddy who had one.  I was spending more than $300 per year on charts, so the way I looked at it, even with a $75 subscription (no, I have not yet gotten the GeoReferanced Plates but really need to) Foreflight after two years + iPad = charts.  So, I have my charts, and a free ipad, which I've really started using for other business items as well.  I keep all of my phone call messages in there through a notes program (Ghost Writer) as opposed to a small notebook that I used to carry around in my briefcase and with the keyboard, I can respond to any email in wifi range even faster than my work computer.  If I'm not in wifi range, I just use the keyboard wtih my iphone as it's a bluetooth keyboard and then it's just as good and quick to respond.

I agree with you that Apple products are inflated in price, however they do work very well.  I have not yet convinced myself to get a macbook as a computer, and I'm again staying the PC route for my next laptop, an ultrabook, either the Sony Vaio 13, Acer S7, or Dell XPS 13 (only if our Tech guy can get a REALLY good deal on it through office bulk orders).

-Seth

I have also never had an iPad stop because of overheating, that is an issue I hear mainly about from people who don't like the iPad, have never used one, and need to have a flaw to talk about.

I have really come to love the ipad - Mine did however overheat once when it was left in a sunny part of the cockpit on a hot day and lower level flight - we never made it to cool air.  So it shut off for heat, and i put it on the floor behind the co-pilot seat in the shade, and gave it about 20 minutes, it was fine after that.  I've determined for that reason that my next ipad - the Ipad mini retna, that I'll get sometime in 2014, will be a white one, to help ensure it reflects vs absorbs heat (I have a blakc one now).

-Seth

• Like 1

I have really come to love the ipad - Mine did however overheat once when it was left in a sunny part of the cockpit on a hot day and lower level flight - we never made it to cool air. So it shut off for heat, and i put it on the floor behind the co-pilot seat in the shade, and gave it about 20 minutes, it was fine after that. I've determined for that reason that my next ipad - the Ipad mini retna, that I'll get sometime in 2014, will be a white one, to help ensure it reflects vs absorbs heat (I have a blakc one now).

-Seth

I never saw my iPad 2 overheat nor the Nexus 7 that I was using. But like you, I did buy a Mini in white.

I have used the FltPlan.com web site to file flight plans it makes some things easier. For example it allows you to save a plan and tell them to file it a week later. It also shows the most recent plans filed by others for the same route. And it sends you emails when it files then sends you the expected ATC route by email an hour before the flight.

They have Apps for both Apple iPad/iPhone and Android. The Apps have free sectionals, low and high altitude enroute charts and Approach Charts - the Approach charts are not geo-referenced.

All of the above is free - web site and Apps.

• Like 1

I have used the FltPlan.com web site to file flight plans it makes some things easier. For example it allows you to save a plan and tell them to file it a week later. It also shows the most recent plans filed by others for the same route. And it sends you emails when it files then sends you the expected ATC route by email an hour before the flight.

They have Apps for both Apple iPad/iPhone and Android. The Apps have free sectionals, low and high altitude enroute charts and Approach Charts - the Approach charts are not geo-referenced.

All of the above is free - web site and Apps.

So Brian, I have been playing around with FltPln.com this week since one of our esteemed corporate pilots mentioned it to me. When you search history, it doesn't seem to recognize any routing where Podunk Airport #1 is your origin and you are flying to Podunk Airport #2. Is this normal? It certainly doesn't have one of the best user interfaces either, but I keep hearing how great it is. What am I doing wroing?

I'm not the expert, but I have used it to file a few flight plans like from Podunk (KJYO Leesburg, VA ) to Podunk (KACK Nantucket, MA) and a few others and it found some recent routes. It worked OK and I liked the email telling me my expected ATC Route, it made it easier to deal with the clearance. Also I could tell them to file my return-home trip a week in advance, that just made it a little easier while on the road away from my pc.

I agree about the web interface it is not the easiest thing in the world to figure out. I had trouble figuring out how to do a simple change to the flight plan but eventually found it. (click the modify button (dot) then click press here when done - down below)

Being cheap by nature I like the free sectionals and en-route charts but I definitely would not recommend counting on the App to supply my charts in flight. The App has died on me a few times and you don't want that happening at a time when you need the chart. It may be ok as a backup or maybe a second level backup after the paper and certified GPS.

So I like to use it for filing flight plans and using the free charts for planning on the ground or a quick reference.

So Brian, I have been playing around with FltPln.com this week since one of our esteemed corporate pilots mentioned it to me. When you search history, it doesn't seem to recognize any routing where Podunk Airport #1 is your origin and you are flying to Podunk Airport #2. Is this normal? It certainly doesn't have one of the best user interfaces either, but I keep hearing how great it is. What am I doing wroing?

I've been using FLTPLAN.com for 10 years now. I too like the expected clearance feature. I really never use the history feature, I file what I want... Like 8A6 to KOBE and then I add in the two intersections over the water near JAX to stay on that airway and MLB since that was what I got the first time I filed direct. I have the Android and Ipod (touch) app they they work well too.

BILL

Do you think that since the only historical information about routings is from actual user filing and ATC clearances, maybe there just weren't any recent IFR flights between Podunk1 and Podunk2?

I've seen it also and if I want to see what has been done in the area, I use the nearest non-Podunks to get a general idea.

Do you think that since the only historical information about routings is from actual user filing and ATC clearances, maybe there just weren't any recent IFR flights between Podunk1 and Podunk2?

I've seen it also and if I want to see what has been done in the area, I use the nearest non-Podunks to get a general idea.

I happen to have lunch with our esteemed corporate pilot and I believe what you are saying is true. Podunk to Podunk especially a specific Podunk #1 to Podunk #2 has either not been filed recently or ever. He suggested picking the bigger Podunks in the area.