M20S Driver

No back spring in landing gear actuators

On 6/2/2016 at 10:33 PM, N9453V said:

Which variables are you referring to? New prop, engine overhauled/inspected as good as new, new smooth belly, new step, new antennas... I'm curious which part or parts you feel cannot be repaired to the same level as when it left the factory.

My plane had a gear up and a prop strike before I bought it and there is no way to tell unless you read the logbooks and see that the repairs were done by Dugosh.

-Andrew

Assuming that the gear up had minimal repairable airframe damage, I would be comfortable with with a new engine, Prop, and engine mount to have a piece of mind.  Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and you are not the only one disagreeing with this :) 

My opinion would have had some flexibility if I flew in the flat lands.  I regularly fly over the Sierras and can not take any chances.

• Like 1

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

6 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

Assuming that the gear up had minimal repairable airframe damage, I would be comfortable with with a new engine, Prop, and engine mount to have a piece of mind.  Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and you are not the only one disagreeing with this :) 

My opinion would have had some flexibility if I flew in the flat lands.  I regularly fly over the Sierras and can not take any chances.

If you can't take any chances over the Sierras, you should probably upgrade to something with twin turbine engines. Even the best maintained single-engine aircraft can experience engine failure (although the chance is less than 1 in 50,000 hours).

I routinely fly over the Rockies between Seattle and Calgary, so I share your concern for flight safety, but you're not going to be able to convince me that a overhauled/repaired engine by a reputable shop, new prop and inspected/magnafluxed engine mount is less safe than going all new without data to backup your claims.

-Andrew

Edited by N9453V
  • Like 1

IF YOUR CABLES AND SPRING ARE NOT CORRECTLY ADJUSTED YOU WILL GET A BUGGERED CLUTCH ALMOST INSTANTLY.  Make sure it is checked every 100 hours. (watch the engineer do it if necessary, it is cheaper than fixing it belive me!)

Excellent photo diary Hyett6420.... It is worth noting that my mechanic (or engineer as you say in the UK) managed to remove and replace the emergency extension clutch without the need to remove the entire gearbox from the airplane. It can be done by removing only the ratchet housing...whole thing took around 2 hours IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/13/2016 at 7:41 PM, jetdriven said:

So, is this contained in the airworthiness limitations section or not?  Cirrus has one, and the Items therein are not optional.  But it's a FAR 23 aircraft.  

There seems to be a debate on whether SB's are now mandatory.  I have no idea why  

These attachments could help .

HQ-16-14.pdf

new-tennessee aircraft services - (2015) legal interpretation.pdf

Edited by sleepingsquirrel

Any news on the supply/price of this spring? Any vendors other than Mooney directly?

For the European Mooney drivers: Do you have an old/broken one spare? See here:

Yes.  I can confirm the springs are $802.  Just ordered one yesterday in preparation for my June annual, and my IA picked it up from the factory.  They have a few left from a recent batch of several made, else, there is roughly a 2 to 3-month wait for a batch to be made.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a rough sense of the current cost (parts and labour) to carry out this SB? Is availability of the parts an issue these days?

Edited by G-SLOT

On 11/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, G-SLOT said:

Does anyone have a rough sense of the current cost (parts and labour) to carry out this SB? Is availability of the parts an issue these days?

$2606.57 at an MSC in July of 2019. Personally, I wouldn't have just any mechanic work on the gear.

• Like 2

Top Gun originally (2013) was waiting for Mooney to increase the time to 2000 hours.  They are now recommending to replace it at 1000 hours.   
Perhaps the chattering is the best near failure indicator for a seasoned pilot but not everyone knows or understands it.

Personally I think hours are a horrible way to decide to replace the BS, should be landing cycles.
There is several actuators Mooney used over the years, does this apply to all, or just 1? TL;DR

Tom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Personally I think hours are a horrible way to decide to replace the BS, should be landing cycles.
There is several actuators Mooney used over the years, does this apply to all, or just 1? TL;DR

Tom

Agreed.  My understanding is that this is only on Eaton actuators. 

I wonder if this is done differently on the newer Mooney planes?

6 minutes ago, M20S Driver said:

Agreed.  My understanding is that this is only on Eaton actuators. 

I wonder if things are different on the newer Mooney planes?

In my case I went by the elapsing of 41 years being appropriate for putting a new spring in.  I didn’t want to do it but I’ve worked my way through most of the plane and this was one of the last boxes to check off. 

for what it is worth...I sent mine to TopGun in California....the spring kit is about $1,000....they quoted me 3 hours for about $100...then you have shipping, and in my case the sheathing on the manual extention cable had failed, so that was an extra $250 for the OEM cable, plus the labor to install.

My A/P told me he could have installed it himself...

• Like 1