201er's Mooney Expedition

201er

post-8223-0-30441100-1386371995_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-44388300-1386372070_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-99225600-1386372044_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-32839600-1386372141_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-02309900-1386372155_thumb.jp

That was some landing into St Vincent! Twilight, cloud deck at 1800 broken and occasionally lower, cancelled IFR when I saw an opening (no instrument approach) dipped underneath, island dodging at 1000ft and rain, couldn't get a visual on the airport, followed traffic inbound, sidestepped around a rocky island on final, and made a crosswind landing with no go around option near gross weight. I'll share vids when I get back.

• Like 5

Mike, 

This looks like an epic trip. Glad you made it through Venezuela with your wallet intact... Are you traveling alone?  As you can imagine, an american traveling solo in a personal aircraft throws up red flags and looks like an opportunity to local state officials. Keep the pics coming!

Mike, 

This looks like an epic trip. Glad you made it through Venezuela with your wallet intact... Are you traveling alone?  As you can imagine, an american traveling solo in a personal aircraft throws up red flags and looks like an opportunity to local state officials. Keep the pics coming!

Traveling with my dad. He makes all travel arrangements and I do all the aviating. Works well cause after all this flying Im spent and cant think about driving/planning. Haven't paid a bribe yet. Only squawk is a bad EGT probe on day 1. But surprisingly it has come back. Tends to conch out after a few hours of flying but works again next flight. Any ideas?

Tends to conch out after a few hours of flying but works again next flight. Any ideas?

Sounds like besides you and your dad, a probe is going south. NBD, just don't fly more than a couple of hours per day.

When USA Customs sees your itinerary be ready for an extensive inspection.

• Like 1

Mike,

Broken ships gauge or JPI 830?

Either way, EGT sensors are a pair of dissimilar wires that generate a voltage difference where they are twisted/soldered together.

Expect that the wire is disconnected at one end or the other, or needs to be cleaned or tightened.

They are in a very harsh environment and are susceptible to burning up. They are really easy to remove and inspect.

Best regards,

-a-

Have somebody get a photo of you and the dad together! I want to send a copy to some family members...

Traveling with my dad. He makes all travel arrangements and I do all the aviating. Works well cause after all this flying Im spent and cant think about driving/planning. Haven't paid a bribe yet. Only squawk is a bad EGT probe on day 1. But surprisingly it has come back. Tends to conch out after a few hours of flying but works again next flight. Any ideas?

I's likely just that, a bad EGT probe/thermocouple. I've had several thermocouples fail and it's always been intermittent initially...sometimes time related, some times temp related. the last time it happened it was a CHT. As long the CHT on that jug was kept under 300, no problem, the moment it went above 300, the reading dropped out.

St. Vincent

post-8223-0-77630300-1386465803_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-51355200-1386465499_thumb.jp

Departure VFR

post-8223-0-82188200-1386465543_thumb.jp

Dodging rain showers

post-8223-0-90741200-1386465565_thumb.jp

Wet arrival

post-8223-0-30341300-1386465792_thumb.jp

This was the first VFR flight of the trip. What started out as VFR to shorten things up on the 40nm flight turned into a battle of weather avoidance. As we headed away from the island, we ran into a big line of rain showers that you could not see through. The only choice was to go around and that was a big trip. On the other hand, going IFR would have required a climb to 5,000 or 7,000 feet prior to on course since they don't have radar and it would have taken me through all that turbulent weather. Thus weather dodging VFR was the way to go. Finding St Lucia wasn't so difficult once away from the rain because of the steep mountains. However, finding the airport was a different story as it was enveloped in rain. As I landed, the runway was dry on one side and visibility near nill on the other. We got soaked as we unloaded and then the sun was out ten minutes later. Figures.

• Like 2

Luggage transport 1st class. I kid you not.

post-8223-0-56207100-1386552276_thumb.jp

I asked if they'd bring over one of those conveyor thingies as well.

Flew right between two volcanoes

post-8223-0-19078400-1386552301_thumb.jp

Skittles

post-8223-0-22093200-1386552327_thumb.jp

"Pushback"

post-8223-0-58075800-1386552343_thumb.jp

Liters/Euros, ugh. Doesn't even speak English. Like 10 bucks a gallon on Martinique.

post-8223-0-08914700-1386552361_thumb.jp

• Like 1

All the different animals they eat on Martinique

post-8223-0-42252700-1386634872_thumb.jp

Putting on the plane's pajamas on the island of Dominica.

post-8223-0-09929700-1386634910_thumb.jp

Delivering the baggage

post-8223-0-48342900-1386634924_thumb.jp

On the island of Martinique, they don't speak English, don't take US dollars, and all restaurants are closed around dinner time. It's a pretty odd place, especially compared to the rest of the Caribbean. It's not a wonder there's no Americans there and they are pretty shocked to come upon us.

It's a little French haven with French air traffic controllers and french bread. They measure gas in liters and take payment only in Euros. They only way to get there from the US (other than by Mooney) is via Paris or Haiti. No wonder there aren't any Americans there. Still it was a fun place to visit.

The VFR departure and flight to the next island of Dominica was pretty uneventful except for the landing. The airport is at the end of a valley facing the airport. You are forced between the choice of landing with a 10G20 knot tailwind uphill with no go around option or coming across mountains and dropping into the downhill strip stopping before the Ocean. I was opting for the uphill tailwind but the controller warned me of gusty winds so I went for the downhill headwind. That was tough. First of all coming across the mountains I could barely see the terrain because of the glare. Then I had to drop very quickly and as we all know a Mooney (ahem, without airbrakes) doesn't want to come down. Even full slip wasn't helping me lose the 1000ft I held coming over the mountainous terrain. I had to alternate slips in different directions to get down before runway ran out. Still I stopped midfield and barely had to taxi. Quite the landing, hang on for the video when I get back.

• Like 2

Today was the first and only day with no flying. We trekked around the island of Dominica and hiked to see the water fall and local birds. You guys can laugh all you want about the pants but there really is no point in putting on clean ones cause they'd get dirty immediately. Poor plane is taking a toll inside and out as well. Not too worried about the inside but it is way too cold back home to give her a bath before spring.

Today was the first and only day with no flying. We trekked around the island of Dominica and hiked to see the water fall and local birds. You guys can laugh all you want about the pants but there really is no point in putting on clean ones cause they'd get dirty immediately. Poor plane is taking a toll inside and out as well. Not too worried about the inside but it is way too cold back home to give her a bath before spring.

Stop in Florida on the way back and give her a bath and wax...