Changing Type of Oil Used

Jsavage3

I have 130 Hrs SMOH and, after using mineral oil for break-in, I've been running Aeroshell 15W50 with Camguard.  After much listening and researching, I am considering the idea of changing from the Aeroshell 15W50 with Camguard to Phillips X/C 20W50 and Camguard for the winter months and W100 SAE 50 with Camguard for summer.

I am seeking opinions, considerations or personal experience for my proposed changing of the oil type used.  Are there any negatives for going from brand X multi-grade to straight weight and then to brand Y multi-grade?

Great plan!!! Maybe when we can get rid of this Nasty leaded fuel we can all switch to a semi or fully syn oil, but for now I think you would be ahead.

My flying club runs 5 planes made up of 172s, warriors and archers and for 15years they ran 15w-50 without a issue taking 10 engines to 2400 hours. But let's keep in mind the airplanes were flown every other day. Every cam made it, some just barley but they all did!

With that we switched to Phillips this year, as it appears to be a better oil. My mooney runs camguard the club doesn't as we don't think we need it to make 2400 hours, and I haven't been able to convience the membership that running to 3000 hours is a good risk, despite using mike Busch ammo. :(.

Well Aaron,

Oil does two things...

(1) lubricate the engine

(2) protect from rust (by keeping oxygen and moisture away)

Problem with untreated oil is, it runs off the parts in a measured number of days or weeks.

When the oil runs off, rust begins and lubrication is diminished.

The club is keeping the engine coated and lubed by using it often.

Would it help to keep the engine coated and lubed by using a different mechanism? Unlikely.

I would suspect that the group is saying the planes never lose coating/lubrication because they get coated/lubed by being used.

Spending more for special additives that don't work ANY better than untreated oil doesn't make financial sense.

The Camguard doesn't change the lubrication(I hope), it changes how the oil stays on the metal for extended periods of time.

Now, if the club planes don't fly for extended periods of time...,

-a-

Or...

Oil runs off the parts much sooner than we expect, in hours. Now we're talking.

How does Mike B. feel about that? Use Camgaurd, or never stop the engine for more than a few hours...

Well Aaron,

Oil does two things...

(1) lubricate the engine

(2) protect from rust (by keeping oxygen and moisture away)

Problem with untreated oil is, it runs off the parts in a measured number of days or weeks.

When the oil runs off, rust begins and lubrication is diminished.

The club is keeping the engine coated and lubed by using it often.

Would it help to keep the engine coated and lubed by using a different mechanism? Unlikely.

I would suspect that the group is saying the planes never lose coating/lubrication because they get coated/lubed by being used.

Spending more for special additives that don't work ANY better than untreated oil doesn't make financial sense.

The Camguard doesn't change the lubrication(I hope), it changes how the oil stays on the metal for extended periods of time.

Now, if the club planes don't fly for extended periods of time...,

-a-

Or...

Oil runs off the parts much sooner than we expect, in hours. Now we're talking.

How does Mike B. feel about that? Use Camgaurd, or never stop the engine for more than a few hours...

I emailed mike about this question early in the spring and he recommended using aeroshell 100 w plus in the summer and 20w50 aeroshell in the winter. He still liked the idea of running camguard regardless but after pushing him for a response as to the true value of it on a engine that gets the oil changed every 45 days or so he said you could probably get away without.

The question was pointed at my mooney as I was flying the wings off it for work at that point. Seemed there was a sense he still wanted it in the crank case though.....

I have 130 Hrs SMOH and, after using mineral oil for break-in, I've been running Aeroshell 15W50 with Camguard.  After much listening and researching, I am considering the idea of changing from the Aeroshell 15W50 with Camguard to Phillips X/C 20W50 and Camguard for the winter months and W100 SAE 50 with Camguard for summer.

I am seeking opinions, considerations or personal experience for my proposed changing of the oil type used.  Are there any negatives for going from brand X multi-grade to straight weight and then to brand Y multi-grade?

I am going to be doing the same thing this winter for my J. I haven't been using Camguard though with Aeroshell.

I agree that Camguard is magic, based on what I've heard, seen & read.  My engine was OH'd at 1500-hrs (30 hrs after I bought the Mooney) due to corrosion.  Upon teardown, we found the faces on the tappets for the camshaft were badly corroded...I mean very pitted!  Four of the six camshaft lobes were badly rounded.  Ever since then, as an owner who doesn't get to fly my Mooney as often as I'd like, I'm a firm believer in Camguard!

Any feedback on AvBlend?

I agree that Camguard is magic, based on what I've heard, seen & read.  My engine was OH'd at 1500-hrs (30 hrs after I bought the Mooney) due to corrosion.  Upon teardown, we found the faces on the tappets for the camshaft were badly corroded...I mean very pitted!  Four of the six camshaft lobes were badly rounded.  Ever since then, as an owner who doesn't get to fly my Mooney as often as I'd like, I'm a firm believer in Camguard!

Any feedback on AvBlend?

Many believers... but the world is full of false profits! Add blue dye to some straight weight oil and you'll have a home brewed version...

MSDS below, but here are the "Cliff Notes" >99% mineral oil...

http://www.avlab.com/v/vspfiles/templates/aviationlab/images/forms/avblend.pdf

I use Aeroshell 10W50 plus Camguard.  Started using Camguard when I had a sticky valve that had to be reset at the annual and ever since then my compressions have remained good and no valve issues at all.  Oil burn has also stabilized to one quart every 8-10 hours.  Resolved by the Camguard?  Maybe, maybe not.  But for the relatively small incremental cost increase it seems worth it to me.  I would say I have been considering switching to the 100W in the summer but had not considered the 20W50 for winter.  Will ask my A&P about it next week.

Has anyone had any starter adaptor issues with the Camguard? Mine started slipping (i don't know if that is the correct word) about 50 hours after I started using Camguard. Probably coincidence.

Maybe I'm missing something or don't understand your question... Not sure I understand how Camguard has anything to do with starter issues?