Any VIABLE Aftermarket improvements for the Mooney Rocket?

Martin H

Since the Rocket has been around for a few years now, has anyone found additional WORTHWHILE improvements to the upgrade?   Or is it at maximum capability as it is?

Even hot rodders tweek hot rods, so I was wondering if there wasn't a viable aftermarket for the Rocket.

If so, what are these upgrades?   And are they worth the cost / effort?

Thank you,

Martin

I doubt they will ever be made - sadly.  It is a great platform to keep pushing the envelope.

That engine has been pushed as far as 335hp by the RAM STC (for the Cessna 340 where the TSIO520NB came from originally).

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Aircraft-Engine-Upgrade-Packages/Cessna/SM014C4-Price-Spec-Cessna-340A-VI.htm

There is a pretty cool prop STC that goes with the TSIO520NB (also for the Cessna 340), which is a 4 blade MT

http://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/stcs/cessna_340_2.htm

it claims better climb and better cruise - and probably quieter/smoother operations and also lighter so there would be more useful load and a better weight and balance.  This reminds me of the 4-blade that MT just came out with for M20R-S-TN http://mooneyspace.com/topic/10470-mt-4-blade-composite-prop-for-m20-r-s-tn/   but that particular prop is not available for the TSIO520NB and is not full feathering.

Gami prism would be VERY cool.

How about balanced intake and airflow?

How about a cowl like the lopresti cowl for the M20J?  For better aerodynamics?

None of these are likely ever to come to pass.  Well - maybe Gami will eventually certify the Prism fleet wide for all large bore continentals.

Besides that....  a rocket is still an M20k so any M20k airframe mod is still accessible.

A must for every Rocket is the addition of long range tanks. At 18+ gph the added speed reduces the range. This requires stopping for fuel thus your trip takes longer time than otherwise going non-stop. The typical fuel capacity for pistons (single or twin) = (total HP)/3. Thus for 300 HP it would be 100 gallons. For a twin with 300 HP engines that would be 200 gallons. 

José

A must for every Rocket is the addition of long range tanks. At 18+ gph the added speed reduces the range. This requires stopping for fuel thus your trip takes longer time than otherwise going non-stop. The typical fuel capacity for pistons (single or twin) = (total HP)/3. Thus for 300 HP it would be 100 gallons. For a twin with 300 HP engines that would be 200 gallons. 

José

Quite right.

Best speed upgrade is some Rocket specific training from an experienced Mooney CFI.

That's not an upgrade.  That is minimum operating equipment list.

I want to upgrade with Prism and a four blade MT prop....

Perhaps I was already blinking by what I concidered a blinding flash of the obvious:

- competent brand specific training

- 100 gallon fuel tanks (thought they were standard on Rocket)

- so I'll take it that the answer to my initial question is:   No.

too bad, but then maybe it is tough to improve.  

The prism sounds neat - but I doubt we'll see it certified for Rocket anytime soon.

Martin