Switch Pannel Modification

isaacpr7

I was wondering if anyone knows of a pannel modification where I could install rocker switches instead of toggle switches installed on my M20C.  I saw a nice set on aircraft spruce but I don't know if this can be done. Can anyone share any experience making a modification like this? Can it be done legally?

Below is a link for the one I like:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aveoRockRack.php?clickkey=3846

I think you'd need to start with your local A&P/IA and/or avionics shop and see if they could do such a mod with a field approval (337).  It will all depend on how your local FSDO handles mods like this.  It might be possible, it might not.  I can't remember if the switches on the older Mooneys function as circuit breakers too (like on my J) or not.  If they do, it complicates the issue.

I think you'd need to start with your local A&P/IA and/or avionics shop and see if they could do such a mod with a field approval (337).  It will all depend on how your local FSDO handles mods like this.  It might be possible, it might not.  I can't remember if the switches on the older Mooneys function as circuit breakers too (like on my J) or not.  If they do, it complicates the issue.

I was going to post earlier, but I wasn't sure about that point, either.  Considering I haven't seen a mooney with aftermarket switches, I'm thinking it's not an easy task.

I don't remember the number, but there is an old AC that give the guidance that a non certified switch may be acceptable if it isn't powering somethings that failure would be critical to the flight.  It states if it is critical, then an approved switch must be used.

They are cool!! Aveo is a really neat company. I was doing a panel layout for my Dads Sonex. However they were somthing like 2.1" tall, and required a CB to be installed with the switch. That was just too much space to chew up in the little panel, when a toggle switch is just a small hole. "Meet or exceed the TSO" is just a gray way to say yes their better but still not certified. I think you could find an IA to work with you, but tearing apart your airplane and trying to make them work would really be BER... I'd do the normal toggles. Maybe the W31 series cb and toggles, they save additional space and don't require a seperate CB. Even with the plastic faced certified mooney rockers, they are crappy as the faces crack and break.

I think you have a 68C. The toggle switches in the plane are a combination switch/breaker. The referenced new parts appear to be switches only. The term "you might as well" may come up in the quote process. New switches->someplace to put breakers->New panel->new radios in the new panel->...
I think Jared and MB65E's points about the amount of real estate you work need for the breakers are valid. At one point, one of my Klixon integral breaker rockers broke. The mechanic ended up installing a non breaker rocker and a separate breaker. Lot of work to wire and find space for the breaker. Whatever happened to the Klixon group buy?