ADIZ Rules

Has anybody on the forum landed in the DC ADIZ? I'm taking a trip to the DC area and debating on going into Leesburg (JYO) which is in the area or Fredrick (FDK) which is outside. Both airports are pretty busy and non towered. I've just started looking into the requirements and would like to hear from anyone that has pierced the armor:) 

there are specific requirements for ingress and egress leaasburg and that will be covered in the online certificate you have to get. i am based in the adiz and after awhile it becomes second nature but it can be a pain. if you have a moving map gps that shows tfr's is a real good thing to have and if your just flying in this time then maybe a better way is to fly ifr and give atc the responsability to keep you clear. the main thing is if there is any doubt in whats going on you can always ask for vectors.

I flew into 2W5 (Indian Head). It was about 40 min (w/traffic) to downtown. Take the online course, print the certificate and keep in your wallet. The only difference in my flight to 2W5 (inside the SFRA) is that you keep your squawk code even after canceling IFR - don't change to 1200. Also, when departing I had to call a "special" 888 number for my clearance. This took about 25min to get through, connect to a FSS person, and released.

• 4 weeks later...

It is real easy , I always call in at about 60 miles out and this annoys the controllers a little , but the last thing I want to see is an F/16 pulling up next to me..  Take the online course and this explains everything ..  Not much more difficult than entering class B airspace..