1/3 Scale B-17 - Single Pilot

Seth

Check this out:

1/3 scale B-17 with a single pilot - 34 foot wingspan - about the size of a cessna 140 (single pilot).  If you check the 2013 pictures you'll see how good she looks.  The've been buliding this from scratch since 1999.

My grandfather flew B-17s so I perosnally have a connection to pretty much any B-17 out there - love them.

http://theballybomber.com/index.html

-Seth

Awesome.  I’d be afraid to fly it just for fear of destroying the hours of time invested.  Truly a labor of love here.  It should be flown at least once and then put in a museum.  The WWII museum in New Orleans would be a good spot and there are plenty of other museums that it would be worthy of having this work of art and passion.

I’d love to see it fly.

Evidently there's a lot of plubing, avionics, and electrical work still to complete.  The last 5% of a build takes forever evidently.

The video of the first flight will go viral through the avaition community.  He says he expects it to handle like a four engined . . . cub.

-Seth

You know, companies are making kit cars and replica Cobras and so forth...why not a full scale B-17?  I know there are some 3/4 scale P-51s and such that have amazing performance.  I think full scale replicas with modern engines and avionics of some of these relics would be pretty cool actually.

You know, companies are making kit cars and replica Cobras and so forth...why not a full scale B-17?  I know there are some 3/4 scale P-51s and such that have amazing performance.  I think full scale replicas with modern engines and avionics of some of these relics would be pretty cool actually.

But what would you do with a full sized B-17?  Its too late to invade Europe.

Now a P51- that's cool.  There's a really nice looking P51-mini on ebay lately called the Thunder Mustang.  Uses some kind of V12.  It actually outperforms the original for speed and climb - 300mph and 6000fpm.