Pinch Hitters Emerg Checklist for wives, spouse, non-pilot for Mooney's

RocketAviator

There are a couple of us here on Mooneyspace wanting to put together a "Pinch Hitters Emergency Check List for our wives and non-pilots & in my case get my wife up to a point where she could in an emergency land my Mooney Rocket!

It has been proposed to limit the scope of the project output to a checklist at this time but there might be a need to expand the scope.

My personal goal is to get my wife comfortable and skilled enough to get our plane on the ground and walk away safe!

I would go as far as if there are any CFI's wanting to come to the El Paso area I would consider hosting a fly in clinic of some kind!  I could also go somewhere else if that makes more sense for others to join but have no idea of being able to host at a remote location!

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Lacee

The idea of limited flight training for a spouse is a good thing, for emergencies and just to share the in- flight workload.

I'm not sure how valuable a "pinch hitter checklist" would be , considering you likely have a checklist in the plane already and there are numerous professional, abridged checklist available which a non-flying spouse could use to assist with flight safety.

I can't really see a checklist alone being much value without some level of flight instruction, formal or informal.

I think it would be much better to focus time and energy organizing and facilitating mooney specific pinch hitter gatherings, either single day or weekend events, where non-flying spouses could get some limited flight training in your aircraft, along with a social component to encourage enjoyment of flying and the training experience.

This is what I currently have:
Brett -- I have an outdated version similar to the one you wrote up. The main reason I did the STEC 60-2 installation in the 90s was to give my wife a chance by hopefully to talk to someone about a coupled ILS approach. With the new avionics I installed, it is time I updated it. This would make for a great NJMP event for us to get together and have the flight instructors in the bunch help us refine this list and maybe even do some instruction with our spouses. Maybe we can even write one up so a parrot can understand it. Oh wait, that won't work. All they need to do is fly out the window and not get crushed by the Mooney's tail.

There appears to be a host of information and even some how to online.  Here a few I have found so far.

I have not yet reviewed any of the below just a cursory 5 second look.  I am assembling all that look promising or interesting for further review and mainly just to get ideas.

http://flash.aopa.org/asf/pinch_hitter/swf/flash.cfm?

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/10573

http://www.wikihow.com/Land-an-Airplane-in-an-Emergency

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/09/16/how-to-land-an-airplane/

I will add more as I find them and ask each of you that are interested in adding what you find or already have as those above have already done so.

I know our first and primary goal is to create a check list or short instruction list but I am thinking this type of info could be additionally helpful as I intend on having my wife actually fly and hopefully land our plane.

Thanks,

Lacee

This is what I currently have:

Great list,

My wife would like pictures of exactly what the items are in our plane with the list.  I will immediately begin working with her when we fly next Monday together and point out each of the items and get a list (starting with this one with pictures) and step through identifying each element mentioned in the list.

I am going to do this with one or more panel shots and then have her as often as we fly together use the items we can during our flights.

This is at least a start!  She even appears to be a little excited... Wow is all I will say for now!

Thanks again!  Lets keep the ball moving!

Lacee

The idea of limited flight training for a spouse is a good thing, for emergencies and just to share the in- flight workload.

I'm not sure how valuable a "pinch hitter checklist" would be , considering you likely have a checklist in the plane already and there are numerous professional, abridged checklist available which a non-flying spouse could use to assist with flight safety.

I can't really see a checklist alone being much value without some level of flight instruction, formal or informal.

I think it would be much better to focus time and energy organizing and facilitating mooney specific pinch hitter gatherings, either single day or weekend events, where non-flying spouses could get some limited flight training in your aircraft, along with a social component to encourage enjoyment of flying and the training experience.

The reason for a checklist in my mind is not the checklist that you and I use and know where and what everything is but a specific short emergency checklist and even one with images that a non-pilot could use to at least give them a chance at getting the plane on the ground and walking away!

I am offering to organize and or help get a mooney specific pinch hitter event but that is in addition to what my & my wifes belief of having a what she refers to as "a picture checklist I could use, cause I won't remember what that thing is called or where it is checklist!"

Right now we are gathering information and input and yours is appreciated, any help you can give or contribute to either of these causes  would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lacee

Brett -- I have an outdated version similar to the one you wrote up. The main reason I did the STEC 60-2 installation in the 90s was to give my wife a chance by hopefully to talk to someone about a coupled ILS approach. With the new avionics I installed, it is time I updated it. This would make for a great NJMP event for us to get together and have the flight instructors in the bunch help us refine this list and maybe even do some instruction with our spouses. Maybe we can even write one up so a parrot can understand it. Oh wait, that won't work. All they need to do is fly out the window and not get crushed by the Mooney's tail.

Great idea guys, let us know what you come up with and any feedback!

My favorite quote "a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from someone elses"....

Not to say you will make any mistakes but I am sure you all could contribute to the benifit of the rest of us!

Fly safe and let us know what comes of your activity!

Thanks

Lacee 

Why not just get her set up with an instructor to take her through a first solo?

I guess teaching her to enable the AP might be better than nothing, but I have seen too many AP's decouple in turbulence, or cause issues such as trying to fly up to a glideslope when the aircraft has approach power on, which is a perfect stall situation. 

I've thought of this a bit. It seems the non-flying spouses would fit into two categories. One, those who are really interested and should learn to really fly the machine, even if only for co-pilot duties. The second would be those spouses who have no interest in flying but would experience some comfort in knowing how to get the plane down in case of an emergency.

For the latter, I think any manner of check list as broad as the one Brett posted would be overkill.  What they really need to know how to do is control the airplane in visual flight rules, reduce power at the appropriate time, and land.  That doesn't require too much of a check list, and should be something they can do from memory.

• Like 1

I've thought of this a bit. It seems the non-flying spouses would fit into two categories. One, those who are really interested and should learn to really fly the machine, even if only for co-pilot duties. The second would be those spouses who have no interest in flying but would experience some comfort in knowing how to get the plane down in case of an emergency.

For the latter, I think any manner of check list as broad as the one Brett posted would be overkill.  What they really need to know how to do is control the airplane in visual flight rules, reduce power at the appropriate time, and land.  That doesn't require too much of a check list, and should be something they can do from memory.

I like your thoughts on differentiating the types & interest of our target market so to speak.  With that in mind it brings up the idea that each of us may possibly need to identify our market as you have identified and work accordingly with the interest & possibly willingness level as a major element.

Thanks great thinking and input,

Lacee 

Planning such an event ahead with the spouse willing to engage in some training is definitely better than not doing anything. For most, this checklist will never be required because the odds are very low that this will happen. However, if ever this happens, the odds of a positive outcome are in favor if those who are prepared!

I see it also as an opportunity to increase the spouse interest in the technical aspects of flying.

So here is my first stab at it:

In order to safely land the aircraft if the pilot is incapacitated the co-pilot shall have the ability to

- take control of the aircraft in level flight, ensuring the disabled pilot does not obstruct and keep everything stable

- communicate to any back seat passengers to stay calm and assist if possible

- configure the communication systems to allow two-way communications and inform ATC about the emergency

- evaluate and identify the best landing place for the current situation

- navigate to the chosen location

- configure the aircraft in a descent

- configure the aircraft for the approach and landing

- brief passengers

- land the aircraft

There are other scenarios possible ... ex: Perhaps one of the back passengers would be better suited to land the plane ? however I think we shall focus on the core scenario where the co-pilot will take over.

Each of the above "use cases" are kind of "abstracted" and shall be defined by the aircraft pilots to match their aircraft.

Did I forget anything?

Yves

Planning such an event ahead with the spouse willing to engage in some training is definitely better than not doing anything. For most, this checklist will never be required because the odds are very low that this will happen. However, if ever this happens, the odds of a positive outcome are in favor if those who are prepared!

I see it also as an opportunity to increase the spouse interest in the technical aspects of flying.

So here is my first stab at it:

In order to safely land the aircraft if the pilot is incapacitated the co-pilot shall have the ability to

- take control of the aircraft in level flight, ensuring the disabled pilot does not obstruct and keep everything stable

- communicate to any back seat passengers to stay calm and assist if possible

- configure the communication systems to allow two-way communications and inform ATC about the emergency

- evaluate and identify the best landing place for the current situation

- navigate to the chosen location

- configure the aircraft in a descent

- configure the aircraft for the approach and landing

- brief passengers

- land the aircraft

There are other scenarios possible ... ex: Perhaps one of the back passengers would be better suited to land the plane ? however I think we shall focus on the core scenario where the co-pilot will take over.

Each of the above "use cases" are kind of "abstracted" and shall be defined by the aircraft pilots to match their aircraft.

Did I forget anything?

Yves

I like the way you think and your concise approach, let and possibly others consider your thoughts, look like a great start.  Did you get a chance to check out the short list that was provided by Bnicolette ie Brett, I went out to the airport on my way to work and took a number of photos of the panel and was planning on starting to create a first pass at a checklist with pictures to start working with my wife on our next flight.  I am sure thinking we need to keep the KISS principle as a very high element in our decision.  Example passengers being Briefed by the to be pilot would be good but a "EVERYBODY be quite or SHUT UP while we get this emergency under control, I will tell you what I need from you when I am able.... not sure that is a good example but the first that came to my mind!

As a little bit of a jokester, I once took the opportunity to slump over the yoke when my wife accidentally tagged me in the head while she was reaching back to the rear seats for something. Needless to say, we spent some quality time talking about this subject afterwards. My wife has never expressed an interest in flying and she would be happy to sit in the co-pilot seat reading her favorite book. I do think it is worthwhile providing enough guidance to our better half to give them a chance of survival. I couldn't bear to think of the guilt in the afterlife I would have if I didn't at least try to prepare her. The challenge is what can you reasonable do short of them actually taking flight lessons?

• Like 3

As a little bit of a jokester, I once took the opportunity to slump over the yoke when my wife accidentally tagged me in the head while she was reaching back to the rear seats for something. Needless to say, we spent some quality time talking about this subject afterwards. My wife has never expressed an interest in flying and she would be happy to sit in the co-pilot seat reading her favorite book. I do think it is worthwhile providing enough guidance to our better half to give them a chance of survival. I couldn't bear to think of the guilt in the afterlife I would have if I didn't at least try to prepare her. The challenge is what can you reasonable do short of them actually taking flight lessons?

Marauder, I think the answer is maybe two fold or even more.  If they are willing and able to take the take flight lessons I don't think anyone would argue that would be the best by far, but for those that don't or wont take it to that level maybe a annotated (as wishboneash noted above) or pictorial assisted would be better than nothing at all.  In may case I hope to do all.  Start with something even simpler and just talk to her and introduce her to all the components, and I hope to have at least a first draft approach pictorial checklist in her hand to refer and relate to when we talk about the elements of the plane that she would need to deal with.  2nd I hope to engage her in what ever level (starting simple) with all manners and activity of the flight first by verbal description and then physically engaged in things like hand fly level and straight and how to tell when you are level and straight, changing the radio freq, talking to ATC.... you get the idea.  This is at least my plan as of right now, however my main personal goal right now is to glean as much input and idea from everyone as I can and then hopefully put that into the best use that fits my particular circumstances using a building block approach.....

Man I hope all that rambling makes sense to someone out there!!!

Thanks,

Lacee

I mentioned this to my wife sometime back and her response was something along the lines of, "Honey, I'd rather go down with you than get down without you."

Touching, I know.

So I haven't mentioned it again.  However, with our daughter turning three, and going on more flights, I think I will broach the idea again. I'd really like the little one to get down regardless, and she won't be able to see over the dash for a number of years.

Becca for some reason your post of "May I suggest if any pinch hitter flight training is done, you send your wife/spouse/significant other/frequent non-pilot companion up with an instructor while you stay on the ground?  I've spent a lot of time observing this dynamic, and I think the stress-free opportunity to ask any and all questions, push buttons, say something stupid, without your spouse looking on makes learning a lot better." did not show up in my forum.....

In any case I agree and first offered and recommended my wife get instructions from someone other than me and she said NO I want you to show me!!!  You have to also know that my wife and I a have worked most every day of our 30 years of marriage together in a single office with our desk being within 5 ft from each other...    She knows the offer stands and at any point she wants to have someone else instruct or show her things about the airplane we will gladly make those arrangements.

Thanks for the input and for most married couples I know you may very well be correct!

Lacee

Why doesn't someone ask Trey from MAPA and include in homecoming.  Jan Maxwell did a great video which I have a copy of

Great idea, if you know or have personal relationship with Trey, maybe you would be kind enough to reach out to him.  I did send an email to Don asking about the info and video you mentioned.   I am absolutely personally committed to this subject at a minimum of creating my wife a pictorial checklist and getting her at least familiar enough with the controls and cockpit items and with some instruction on getting the plane to and landing it with at least a chance of walking away so any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks let me know or PM me if you prefer with any thoughts,

Fly safe,

Lacee

Stole this from Mooneygirl post in 2010 because I could not figure out how to easily quote it on this forum!

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Jan Maxwell of Don Maxwell Aviation put on a pinch hitter introduction at Tahoe a year ago June.  It was very very good. She had some great points and a video, which I will try to locate as she gave me a copy.

Some points she made, in her beautiful southern drawl, were

* If he can do it, you can do it. Make him take you up to practice.

* If he is slumped over on the yoke, use the strap of your purse to hold him back [by the forehead].  Us women usually have a sizable purse!

* With most instruments if they are in the GREEN you are okay. Know your approach speeds.

* She had a video with a fly on the front window.  She taught us how to put that fly on the horizon to fly straight and level. Then as the time came to land to control the airplane to have the fly line up with the landing spot.  She of course talked about using the throttle to control descent.

* Know where you are.  GPS or situational awareness

Jan, a fellow 99, used to put on the full blown seminars in the past. Our 99s group is doing a companion seminar on May 8th.  I think the key is to practice... slow flight, straight and level, and practice talking on the radio.

Another stolen post!!!

Posted Today, 09:23 AM

RobertoTohme, on 14 Nov 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:snapback.png

Hint for the next MAPA convention: TBMOPA holds a pinch hitter course during their convention for attending spouses, given by a roster of TBM approved CFI's, and have a high success rate in signups for the course...  No TBM has been bent in any of those courses, so I assume it can be safely done.   Trey has the connections to that group as he's a TBM instructor and he wrote the original syllabus for the training course when the plane came to life in the US many years ago, so he can easily put together something like that for Mooney wives or significant others that you may want to get trained for such an emergency.  

Trey, if you're reading this you're going to hate me for the added work to your schedule, but "You 'da Man!" to get it done.

RobertoTohme, Mooneygirl also suggest we get Trey to include or put on a Pinch Hitters Course during the upcoming spring Mooney gathering! Trey if you are reading this I would be willing to help in both time, effort and $.  I asked Mooneygirl if she would reach out to Trey as she appears to be heavily involved in Mooney & General Aviation service work.   I have only talked to Trey on the phone a time or two but I would be willing to call him and see what he says if we don't hear anything back from Mooneygirl soon.  All this on another post "Pinch Hitter Checklist" forum.

Thanks for the input great idea, if enough of us will pull the wagon so to speak we might just be able to get it done and wont be too much work on any one person!!

Thanks

Fly safe,

Lacee