When is it time for new tires?

Buster1

Hey guys,

How do you know when it's time for new tires? I had a random IA tell me the other day that my nose tire was "bad" due to a deep scuff.

How do you guys judge if its time for new rubber?

Also, any good sources for cheap tires, and what brand do you all prefer?

The best prices I have found for all tires is either Spruce or Desser.

I ended up going with Desser since spruce charges sales tax in my state.  Desser had free shipping and no sales tax.  The guy at Desser (Tony ?) actually caught a mistake I made in my order which saved me a lot of shipping aggravation.

I'm not seeing the Desser retread Flight Custom III's?  Can you help me out with a part # from either Desser or Spruce?

you could probably call them and get it done.  I ordered new tires, but I may try retreads in the future.  A few people told me to double check clearance with retreads since the outside diameter my be slightly different.

Thanks for sharing the video. A real good tutorial. I just watched and learned lots about tires!

How oftern do folks check their tire pressure? What gauge do you use? I infrequently check the tires with the compressor. Always a big pain.....I will now move to a more regular check...

Goodyear Flight Custom II on the nose and Desser retread FCC-III on the mains.
Hey I was looking at going with monster retreads on FC2 do you know if there is any issues with them fitting up in the wheel wells or is there extra room up there? I heard the monsters have done well in durability test as they have deeper tread.

I'm not seeing the Desser retread Flight Custom III's? Can you help me out with a part # from either Desser or Spruce?

Brett, if you want Desser Monster retreads on a specific carcass there is a waiting time. IIRC Desser said to me 5 weeks or so.

I think the retreads are good value and I was all for them. But not sure I want to wait that long. Plus even if you decide to wait that long there is no way of knowing the history of the carcass. Unlike the airlines where the carcasses are tracked and their history known.

Presently I have Michelin Condors on my Mooney and have been extremely happy. They have been excellent wearing tires and solid performers. This to be expected since, as I recently discovered, Condors are indeed made by Michelin!

This seals it for me. Michelin Condors again!

Presently I have Michelin Condors on my Mooney and have been extremely happy. They have been excellent wearing tires and solid performers. This to be expected since, as I recently discovered, Condors are indeed made by Michelin!

This seals it for me. Michelin Condors again!

Like Camguard?

I ran retreads on all my flight school airplanes for years with no issues. And trust me they suffered all kinds of abuse! :-)

If I ran a flight school or a regional airline and chewed through rubber I'd use retreads too. However my own airplane will always get a fresh set of shoes rather than a discarded reworked carcus. 

For me the extra 40 bucks per tire for new is money well spent.

Either way don't forget to install new tubes with your new (or retreaded carcus) tire.

• Like 1