Flying across the gulf in MOONEY and getting married

aaronk25

My fiancée and I are getting married in playa del Carmen at the royal resort On Feb 26th 2013 and we're going to make a big tour from Rochester MN to New Orleans 1 night, then Mexico 6 nights, Las Vegas 2 nights, Grand Canyon and home. It's going to be a wedding and honeymoon all in one and best of all, we're taking the MOONEY! The question I have, (more to come) is I am having a hard time finding out if HF radio is a requirement or not. Anyone know? Anyone made the trip personally? I'm starting to prepare. I better make darn sure I get all the i's dotted and t's crossed cause the pressure is on as I'd like her to marry me once on the ground in Mexico! I've spent the last 3 years improving N201ad and have been cutting filters, conducting oil analysis and staring in the spark plug holes looking at cylinder assemblies with the bore scope and I feel the time to go is now or never. The equipment is maintained in tip top shape and it's time to have some fun.

• Like 1

HF radio?

I suspect that if you intend to fly straight across the gulf MSY-MMUN IFR, you'll need HF, unless you can fly high enough for VHF coverage.

Perhaps a DVFR would work without HF, but do you really want to do that?

How about going by way of FL?  Probably VHF range most of the way.

We were planing on flying a similar trip this next February.  Our plan was to fly from MN to the Florida Keys.  Spend a few days in the keys and then launch over to Cozumel for a cousin's wedding.  Returning to the US hopping around Mexico.  I would love to fly directly over the gulf, but that would be stretching the legs of my C a little further than comfortable.  But our little trip will have to wait.  Somehow the wife got pregnant and the baby is due at the beginning of February and she doesn't like the Idea of getting a baby sitter.            

Congratulations! Sounds like a fun wedding and honeymoon. 

No specific HF requirement to make the crossing but you will be out of Houston Oceanic coverage for about 30-40 minutes till Merida picks you up.  Usual reporting point from Houston area is KEHLI intersection.....I assume you will report at IRDOV coming in from KNEW.  Lots of airline traffic in the area so you won't be lonely but open waters for 2 hrs + so hope you are comfortable with that and have all the requisite emergency equipment including a raft.  AOPA has excellent and current info on the requirements, my last flight into Mexico was a couple of years ago.  They are not very GA friendly anymore and you WILL pay lots of expensive fees.

I assume you have researched the document requirements for entry into Mexico and also your all important marriage license.  Be sure to get your Radio License, Insurance endorsed for Mexico, and make arrangements for the blood tests etc. The hotel concierge should be able to handle all your marriage related requirements while the FBO at MMUN will handle all your A/C requirements (for a friendly fee ofcourse).  Best to pre-arrange everything.

My wife and I got married in Cancun in 1995 and flew to Yellowstone for our honeymoon.  

CONGRATULATIONS again and Godspeed.

Aaron,

A few things you need to know before you go.  Mexico wants you to clear customs (enter the country) in Cozumel.  Cancun is a busy place and they really do not want small airplanes there.  They have set the fees accordingly.  Playa Del Carmen used to have an airport.  I have not heard anything about it since the last big hurricane several years ago.  Foreflight is not showing any information about it so it may not exist anymore.  You may have to plan to ride the ferry from Cozumel to Playa.    

The crossing from New Orleans can be done VFR or IFR but you will be out of communication in the middle.  I have not flown that particular route but I imagine  you will be able to talk helicopter traffic servicing the oil platforms in the gulf.  If center needs to get a hold of you they will relay through an airliner.  While an HF could be handy finding one and installing it would be a real hassle.  Flying high would be a good idea depending on winds but not too high as you may catch a case of hypoxia.  

You are not required to have a raft but I would not be foolhardy enough to try that leg without one.  You are required to have life jackets and it would be a good idea to have a PLB.  

To enter Mexico you have to give prior notice.  Being on a ICAO flight plan (VFR or IFR) is all the notice you need.  You should become familiar with the ICAO format before you leave home.  You probably need some IFR charts (Jeppesen).  You also need passports and proof of aircraft insurance.  Your US policy may suffice if the territorial limits of the policy include Mexico.  You will need to set up an eapis account before you leave and become familiar with those rules.

Don't be casual in your planning for the trip.  Flying over the water is fairly easy if you have adequately planned for the trip.  

• Like 1

Plan the flight twice. Execute the plan with precision. Safety, is paramount.

Expect the highest levels of distraction vying for your attention. Use your check lists. Make the nogo decision as you would any other time.

It will be the shortest marriage on record if you don't.

A good marriage allows for some of the coolest things in life!

Best regards,

-a-

Latest Requirements at:   http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Mexico.aspx     Pilot-in-Command

The pilot in command must have a current:

Passengers
  • Each passenger must have a current passport.
  • Tourist visas are required and may be obtained at the first airport of entry.
  • Children traveling with only one parent must have a notarized statement of approval from the absent parent stating the dates of the trip.
Aircraft

All U.S. registered aircraft must have:

• A standard airworthiness certificate
  • A permanent registration certificate (no temporary certificates/pink slips)
  • radio station license
  • Operating limitations information
  • Weight and balance information
  • Transponder with Mode C
  • Two-way radio equipment
  • If the aircraft is registered in another person’s or corporation’s name, AOPA recommends that you have a notarized letter authorizing use of the aircraft for flights in Mexico.
  • An ID data plate
  • 12-inch registration marks are required for crossing the ADIZ into Mexico.
  • Aircraft with fuel tanks installed in the baggage or passenger compartments must have Form 337 on board.
  • Regarding experimental aircraft: Unless the aircraft has been prohibited from making an international flight to Mexico by the FAA, the aircraft is welcome to Mexico provided that the pilot abides by the limitations applied by the FAA in its operating limitations.
  • The Mexican government has recently postponed the requirement for 406 MHz ELTs. Pilots with aircraft used exclusively for private flights now have until June 30, 2013, to replace their 121.5-MHz ELT with a 406-MHz model or until their existing 121.5-MHz ELT needs to be replaced, whichever comes first. See the blue box at the top of the page for more complete information. Deferred till 2015.""""""
Insurance
  • Verify that Mexico is included in your policy’s territory.
  • Check that your policy has liability limits of at least $300,000.
  • Carry your aircraft insurance policy in the aircraft.
  • Present your insurance policy for validation upon arrival in Mexico.
Customs and Border Protection

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requires

• An annual user fee decal ($27.50) – allow a few weeks for delivery. CPB encourages all applicants to use the online renewal process, which is fast, secure, and accurate. Pre-printed paper applications will be mailed only by request - not automatically sent as in previous years. To request a pre-printed paper renewal application, call the User Fee Help Desk at 317/298-1245, option 3; or email decals@dhs.gov.
  • eAPIS CBP’s Electronic Advance Passenger Information System. For your return trip back to the U.S., plan to land at the first airport of entry after crossing the U.S. border to clear customs.

All,

Thank you for the very kind words and information.  As many indicated planning is key and we will certainly make sure we are compliant with all the safety requirements as safety is paramount.  I will be purchasing a life raft, instead of renting since we will not be returning via the same route.  

I can live with being without radio coverage for 30-40mins or longer if need be, as the plane and me are equipped with a 406mhz elt.  If a water landing is necessary I'm not sure being in direct radio communications with ATC will affect the outcome as both elts will be activated while airborn and a broadcast on 121.5 should get rescue efforts started prior to the elt(s) activation.  It would be upto me to make a safe landing, evacuate and deploy the raft.  The difference in having a HF antenna might shorten the arrival by a few mins but most likely we will be floating around for a few hours to a day or so.  

Its also nice that XM weather has coverage in the gulf too.  I hear ads-b is also coming to certain areas as well, but XM is what I have. 

"My fiancée and I are getting married in playa del Carmen at the royal resort On Feb 26th 2013 and we're going to . . . " 

Umm, hate to break bad news, but you are really late for your wedding! Suggest you put it off until 2014.

Congratulation,

bumper

• Like 1

No....I say NO fooling around after setting the A/P for the long boring flight over the Gulf ;)

Not to worry - they won't be married yet...  ;)

Seriously though, sounds like a great start for the rest of your life together.  I wish I would have had my PPL 23 years ago when I got married.  Then again, we're still married, so I guess I did OK.

Congratulations!!  Like many said before - PIREPS and Photos!

- Tedd

Just a detail omitted from the excellent list that 231flyer posted is that EAPIS must be filed on the way out of the country and again before reentry.  The rules are available in many places on the internet. 

Another piece of information that might be useful for the trip to Las Vegas is that some Mexican cities celebrate Carnival (Marti Gras) big time.  I have looked for rooms in Villa Hermosa and Vera Cruz during the week long celebration and found all the motels full.  Also Mexico has rules for departing private flights which you should observe.  All this administrative stuff might look like a giant wall but work on it a little at a time and things will work out fine.  Have a great time.

• 3 months later...