Cross Country for "Cougar Gold"

jabodine

My wife wanted some "Cougar Gold" cheese. It is made at the University of Washington in Pullman. Much of the year they won't ship due to the temperature. As a result we took our Mooney to Pullman on Friday. The MEA's out of here are quite high so we had to fly at 14,000 going. The M20E made between 140-145KTS (ground speed per GPS) on the way with about 18" MP and ram air. On the return we were at 10,000 until Missoula where we had to climb to 13,000. At 10,000 we made about 150-160 KTS ground speed with 21" MP and ram air. It was about 2.1 hours there and a little more back (we took a longer route). Going we used about 14 gallons of 100LL. What a wonderful, fast and, relatively speaking, economical airplane.

Best regards,

Jonathan Bodine

• Like 3

Nice trip!

Was it a hard IFR kind of day? I tend to cancel if it's VFR and stick around 10-12k rather than head up into the mask-on-o-sphere, as the high MEA's are mostly a result of lack of low altitude radar coverage due to the terrain. Every once in a while, though, it's nice to hang out at 14-17 and watch the world go by! Great trip!

It is great cheese and we like to fly. And my mistake it is Washington State University, my apologies, no intention to offend anyone. Flew into Lewiston, ID. Stout Aviation is great; so is the tower crew at Lewiston. Pullman is non-towered and has a landing fee. It was a blue sky day but I usually file IFR. My feeling is that especially in this terrain it never hurts to have a second set of eyes watching.

Best regards,

Jonathan Bodine

• Like 1