My new bird - 1965 M20C

Hi,

I've been lurking on the forums for about 3 months, and I figured it was time to introduce myself and my new bird:  She's a 1965 M20C with plenty of mods:

• 201 windshield
  • 201 instrument panel
  • Smooth belly mod
  • Flap gap seals
  • Aileron gap seals
  • McCauley no AD propeller

The previous owner thought it also had the cowl enclosure fairing mod, but from looking at pictures, I don't think it does.  (Maybe one of you could kindly confirm or deny from the pictures? She runs hot during climb-out and I believe the enclosure would help?)  As far as the work I've had done:

• Installed Nu-Lights everywhere but on the Mooney six-pack (picture attached)
  • Installed a dash mount clock (working on my IFR ticket)
  • Installed an STC Altimeter and VSI (part of the pitot-static check)
  • Installed a Zeftronics solid state voltage regulator
  • Prop resealed (red oil on the cowl after a long cross country, this wasn't cheap)
  • Right fuel tank resealed (some blue stain on the underside of the wing)

I also bought a Garmin GPS 155 TSO IFR capable GPS.  I haven't decided if I should sell it or pay approximately $1,700 the avionics shop quoted me for install and FAA Form 337.  Thoughts on this?  The alternative would be save for a year or two and buy a GNS 650 to replace that old KX170b.

Thanks everyone!

*edited for a proper orientation on the lit-instrument picture*

post-11627-0-18134700-1382198154_thumb.j

post-11627-0-73118700-1382198173_thumb.j

post-11627-0-35552100-1382198424_thumb.p

• Like 1

Nice looking C.

I upgraded from an IFR 155 to a 750 GTN. Unless you have a compatible autopilot/HSI that will track the GPS I would say you'd be happier selling the 155 and getting a 696 or 796 which gives you a fine moving map and will make a nice backup when you get the 650. 

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

You might want to check around for some more bids just be sure you are getting a good price on the install. I believe the GPS 155 requires you manually enter the Baro reading for the destination airport in the approach sequence. The GPS 155 is going to give you all but what the WAAS capable IFR boxes can do for navigation. You don't mention A/P (which is a great help for IFR single pilot flying) so that probably does not complicate matters.  

Good luck with your training............  remember to trim.  :)

• Like 1

Good choice on grabbing a C.  I love mine, if I didn't have a growing family I would keep it forever and pass it along to my kids.

You do have the cowl enclosure, but not the 201 windshield.  Your ship has been upgraded to the 1 piece (pre 201) windshield.

I agree above, if you have an auto pilot you can couple the 155 to, throw it in there.  If not, get rid of it and start saving for an autopilot and a 650/750 upgrade.

Your going to love traveling in that thing! 

Dan

• Like 2

Nice looking C.

I upgraded from an IFR 155 to a 750 GTN. Unless you have a compatible autopilot/HSI that will track the GPS I would say you'd be happier selling the 155 and getting a 696 or 796 which gives you a fine moving map and will make a nice backup when you get the 650. 

Thanks!  I think I'll sell the 155 then.  I have an iPad mini with mount running GlobalNavSource EFB as my "backup" now.  The reason I'd considered the 155 is that the M20C has one NAV with Glideslope and one without; no ADF, no DME, no GPS -- that gives me few choices for IFR in todays RNAV approach world.

Welcome and congratulations. (We just bought our first airplane six months ago -a1965 M20C.)

You have the (LASAR type) cowl mod ... It closes the lower half of the original opening. It gives about 3-5 kts increase and improves cooling is my understanding? We have the same cowl mod as you ... and the same hot temps on climb-out.

Per others advice: a TCI EDM-700/800 type engine monitor with fuel flow meter may be a wise investment? They also have a "lean-find" feature to help you set the mixture and then monitor in cruise. We have a older EDM-700 ... but it does the job! And we have an EDM-450 ... which monitors fuel flow and fuel used/ remaining (quote/unquote advisory only) ... very helpful on long trips.

Regarding high temps on climbs - we have the same issue.

There are several discussions here with various suggestions:

1)Leave the throttle wide open and full prop unless you reduce to 2550-2600 RPM per the operator's manual. There is a discussion that the wide open throttle position gives an extra measure of fuel - thus more cooling. (versus25/25) I.e. - wide open throttle and full rpm until late in level off for cruise, after leveling and acceleration ...

2)Accelerate to 120mph or faster as soon as practical.

3)Some have adjusted their cowl flaps to be open more than the specified distance when in the full open position.

4)There are even a few threads on adjusting the engine baffling for those who are experiencing hotter #3 in climb. (We are too!)

5) One conclusion was that if all cylinders are hot in climbs ... after doing these things the "big picture" so to speak is inadequate fuel flow ... consider adjusting that on injected engines ... (Ours have carbs with nothing to adjust if I understand correctly?) However, a possible technique is leaving on the boost pump in the climb ... to see if that helps ... While leaning to prevent too rich a mixture ... .

I am about to begin experimenting with all these as I begin a series of night flights ... I'll try to post my findings ... and post your results too please ...

Welcome and congratulations! We LOVE our Mooney!

(Edited to add that we have the same cowl mod and still the same high temps on climb)

This is great feedback, thanks!  I have a JPI EDM-700 too.  My hot cylinders are #1 and #3, while #2 and #4 stay plenty cool.  I have a gut feeling that my baffling may be at fault, but I'll definitely look into the cowl flap change too.

Hi Matt,

You might want to check around for some more bids just be sure you are getting a good price on the install. I believe the GPS 155 requires you manually enter the Baro reading for the destination airport in the approach sequence. The GPS 155 is going to give you all but what the WAAS capable IFR boxes can do for navigation. You don't mention A/P (which is a great help for IFR single pilot flying) so that probably does not complicate matters.  

Good luck with your training............  remember to trim.  :)

Thanks!  My M20C has the Mooney Positive Control, but nothing else in the way of A/P.  I still haven't decided if I like the PC; I do love just about everything else about the C though, my previous 250 hours were essentially all 172s and Cherokees of some sort.

I got a 62 with the lasar cowl mod, I climb at 120mph and I can say that I never have exceed 315c on the climb, I flown all the way from the Canadian prairies to the Florida keys. I bring the prop back to 2650 on the climb and wot, I mostly do cross country trips and typical cruise altitude are between 8k to12k, I will lean the the engine and try to keep target egt.

Welcome and congratulations. (We just bought our first airplane six months ago -a1965 M20C.)

5) One conclusion was that if all cylinders are hot in climbs ... after doing these things the "big picture" so to speak is inadequate fuel flow ... consider adjusting that on injected engines ... (Ours have carbs with nothing to adjust if I understand correctly?) However, a possible technique is leaving on the boost pump in the climb ... to see if that helps ... While leaning to prevent too rich a mixture ... .

I am about to begin experimenting with all these as I begin a series of night flights ... I'll try to post my findings ... and post your results too please ...

Welcome and congratulations! We LOVE our Mooney!

(Edited to add that we have the same cowl mod and still the same high temps on climb)

Great post! I think the carb vs injection concept is backwards though. The Bendix injection is not adjustable for fuel flow other than idle. The carb may allow for FF increase, but I'm not sure if it requires a change in jetting.

I think it's wise to ensure that the baffling is optimized before messing with FF. Low hanging fruit first...