landing on sand

Jamie

Very cool.

Although for those Mooney drivers who are terrified of even parking on grass (not to mention the horrific thought of actually landing on a grass runway) landing on the beach must be shear terror! They're probably amazed you didn't kill yourself.

Just because its not paved doesn't mean its not a great landing surface! Maybe I'm biased since I fly off the airfield with the world's longest sand runways - the Edwards AFB lakebeds.

If I'm up in the NW then I'll be sure to visit Vargas Island - In my Mooney!

I've got a friend who keeps his 252 at a grass field - he's Canadian too! Don't let the lack of pavement inhibit your flying.

Very cool.

Although for those Mooney drivers who are terrified of even parking on grass (not to mention the horrific thought of actually landing on a grass runway) landing on the beach must be shear terror! They're probably amazed you didn't kill yourself.

Just because its not paved doesn't mean its not a great landing surface! Maybe I'm biased since I fly off the airfield with the world's longest sand runways - the Edwards AFB lakebeds.

If I'm up in the NW then I'll be sure to visit Vargas Island - In my Mooney!

I've got a friend who keeps his 252 at a grass field - he's Canadian too! Don't let the lack of pavement inhibit your flying.

Wow,

Dave I would so like to try landing on sand... in 30 years of flying I have landed on a non paved runway twice.... and that was more than 30 years ago when I was going for my Private ticket....  I need to see if I can find some appropriate non paved runways (appropriate landing areas that others have already landed on only... ) maybe someday work up to landing on a beach like I see the images of others have... that would be beyond great!

Fly safe,

Rocket On...

• Like 1

I just don't like being the first one in a group to test the hardness.

I've never landed a plane on a beach, but I have been on plenty of beaches.   With some the sand felt as hard and firm as a paved road.  With others, I sunk in ankle deep.  I definitely would  not want to be first to land and test the hardness.  On the other hand, if it was a known good beach, and I'm not the first plane, I might be tempted.

A long time ago, I read about a guy who was driving on a beach and sunk up to his hubcaps in the sand. A local came along and told him not to worry and just sit tight. As the tide started to come in the driver was beginning to panic. When the water got right up to the car, the local told him to start it. He drove right out. The water solidified the sand. My take is that if you landed on the dark colored, wet sand it would work, but not on the white stuff.

Just what I read and think. Use at your own risk. I'm going to stick to asphalt and concrete.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating commuting to your local beach in your Mooney, but a known/charted landing area (Vargas Island) sounds like fun!

www.bcflying.com/index.php/islands/details/3/19/islands-vargas-island

and another video:

http://vimeo.com/17232618

ok there Mr. Dave then with this comment can I assume you are in for a Vargas bucket list trip!!!   (lol)

I have a video under my youtube page piperpainter of me taking off from Copalis state beach. Landing and taking off from sand and dirt and gravel grass not really any of the above...seashells by the seashore! Isn't a big deal at all. You just gotta spray off the sand after you get home. I've done it a lot and it's a blast! :)

I've done it a lot and it's a blast! :)
In a newer, heavier plane with inner gear doors, an insurance policy that doesn't cover it, and a paint job that wasn't done with a brush, maybe not. In an older C, worth a small fraction, used to back country and mountain flying, and an owner that does most of his own maintenance, quite something else. What's a blast to one pilot can be irresponsible to another, and has nothing to one's flying skill.

In a newer, heavier plane with inner gear doors, an insurance policy that doesn't cover it, and a paint job that wasn't done with a brush, maybe not. In an older C, worth a small fraction, used to back country and mountain flying, and an owner that does most of his own maintenance, quite something else. What's a blast to one pilot can be irresponsible to another, and has nothing to one's flying skill.

Ha I love the remark about a brushed paint job. I guess Mitch & Jolie's aircraft are also done with a "paint brush." I can't tell you how many people compliment my paint job, and how well my aircraft looks.  So think about that paint brush comment a little more. You're statement is very incorrect, but I enjoyed the laugh.

And you're WRONG it doesn't matter if you have "newer gear doors with a heavier, newer model airplane." The sand is very hard when it's the correct wetness. At Copalis state (S16) Beach in WA, I have seen much heavier 182RG's & 210's (smaller tires too) and they had no problems parking the plane for hours.

You're RIGHT however in that some pilots can't handle the fun that goes with dirt, grass, sand. But that's why they make all those long runways. For guys like you! 

And Alas, you're right. I do all the preventative maintenance I can on my airplane, and do owner assisted annuals. This allows me to save money, save wasted time (and get things done at my pace) and finally I have a greater knowledge of my airplane. That way when I am flying around the backcountry, country or in other countries, as I've been, I won't have to pay someone to clean a spark plug, or change a tire, maybe even replace a screw. I can get things done on my own and be on my way. I guess that's what happens when you're self sufficient....it's rough.  :D

PS. I guess all these people are very "irresponsible." 

http://www.aeroplus.nl/wp-content/uploads/Barra2-Images-19.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3092/2684741804_d384bf299d_o.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=134&es_sm=122&espv=210&bih=782&biw=1432&tbm=isch&tbnid=KvqNWlfcLKjd1M:&imgrefurl=http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D2495.0&docid=V_lZouwV0rIx_M&imgurl=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/flyK1W1/2020sands28.jpg&w=800&h=533&ei=EghnUr60LeqjiQLUi4G4CQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:35,s:100,i:109&iact=rc&page=7&tbnh=183&tbnw=263&ndsp=28&tx=186&ty=114

http://www.google.com/imgres?

start=189&es_sm=122&espv=210&bih=782&biw=1432&tbm=isch&tbnid=EgsB7CTzandcYM:&imgrefurl=http://ebooksonl.blogspot.com/2010/02/18-of-worlds-strangest-airports.html&docid=ITg7Ys6Sszhm8M&imgurl=http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/airports-18.jpg&w=470&h=345&ei=EghnUr60LeqjiQLUi4G4CQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:96,s:100,i:292&iact=rc&page=9&tbnh=172&tbnw=248&ndsp=27&tx=159&ty=78

oh oh...is that an Acclaim....on dirt! 

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/1XxVNUA8pYI/hqdefault.jpg

These pissing matches are fun!  B)

In a newer, heavier plane with inner gear doors, an insurance policy that doesn't cover it, and a paint job that wasn't done with a brush, maybe not. In an older C, worth a small fraction, used to back country and mountain flying, and an owner that does most of his own maintenance, quite something else. What's a blast to one pilot can be irresponsible to another, and has nothing to one's flying skill. Ha I love the remark about a brushed paint job. You're RIGHT however in that some pilots can't handle the fun that goes with dirt, grass, sand. But that's why they make all those long runways. For guys like you! PS. I guess all these people are very "irresponsible." B)
Not at all, and glad to bring a smile to your face, mountain man. I do like paved runways, and we ALL find our own brands of fun. Your 'I love me' scrape book is nice and your confidence plus self-appraisal is noteworthy. Glad you're having fun. Stay safe and lucky my friend.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have not landed on a beach in any aircraft, but have done a number of bush plane flights in to Canada and Alaska outpost camps.  On two of them we did beach landings.  What the bush pilots will explain, is that the landing needs to be made as close to the water as possible and even in the shallow wave wash up the beach, and not higher on the beach where the sand is dry and therefore soft.  It is a little exciting to land in the ocean on tires, but that is what they do.

No insurance for landing on grass?  thats the first I have heard of it.

Let me clarify. My insurance agent said that as long as it is a regularly maintained runway it is ok, I specifially ask about landing on a sand beach and she checked and said No. I was planning on joining you guys when I checked on the grass & sand landings. Maintained Grass & I took any other maintained like in our area we had dirt strips are ok.

Sorry for any confusion!

Let me clarify. My insurance agent said that as long as it is a regularly maintained runway it is ok, I specifially ask about landing on a sand beach and she checked and said No. I was planning on joining you guys when I checked on the grass & sand landings. Maintained Grass & I took any other maintained like in our area we had dirt strips are ok.

Sorry for any confusion!

Read your policy, screw taking to them if it's not prohibited exclusively in your policy YOUR COVERED!

• Like 1