landing gear donuts

As Davv8or said. If you have any play in them at all then they need replaced. They are gonna run just under $1K i think.

replace them all at the same time. And if you don't have the tools to take the old ones off just undue the nut on top, jack and it'll slide off, then put the new ones on lower the plane and put weight on the donuts...put the top screw/nut thingy back on! The nose is a PITA!

I literally keep my plane jacked up when not in use. The donuts are still

tight as when new even though my mechanic says they should be replaced as a "timed item" since you can't see when the rubber isn't good. My are 9 years old and still compliant.

I'm not an A&P, but have talked to a lot of people who are. The best method is to jack up the plane and see if the donuts can be rotated by hand. If they are moveable, they are on their last legs. But leave it on jacks and wait several hours and then check again. If they don't move, you are likely to have another year or two if you like.

I have no access to SM at the moment but I believe it does not allow any gap on Nose gear and allows 1/8” on the MLG; when on jacks.

I’ve replaced all landing gear donuts few months ago ($1k) during owner assist annual. We’ve used compression tool rented from Hangartoolbox.com; its hydraulics compresses the pucks effortlessly and my AI was really pleased with it. Much better then old tool designed by factory he used in the past.

Regards,

Igor

N9514M @ KPAE

• 1 year later...

Looking for tool to do my main gear . Hangar tool box guy said he wasnt going to be in buisness for a month or so which seemed odd. Lasar has them all checked out. I have pucks and time to do them but no tool. Anybody in Florida have tool they would loan or sell. Give you a deal on your next annual!

The normal limits for shock disc compression are measured with the plane on the ground under normal static weight. Each model has its limits set out in the manual.

Clarence

Went ahead today without tool. My nose was already done ordered the new STC truss from LASAR with new biscuits installed already, saved me some grief. The mains i did today. While plane was still off jacks i removed covers and bolt and collars. Then i jacked aircraft and pulled lower bolt out of assembly and the whole thing comes right out. For install i did the reverse. I installed the new ones and fed it in upper hole. Then attached lower bolt to tire assembly and lowered off jacks so weight of plane compressed biscuits. I didnt have much fuel onboard so i used an 80 pund sand bag to compress it the last little bit to get holes in collar to line up. Took two hours. While i was their gave everything a good look and greased it. After all together re jacked plane and swung gear a few times. Tail is much higher and rides great. The pucks that were installed had no cure date stamped on them . They were made by RAPCO ? New ones are LORD. I work with LORD mounts on C-130 aircraft so i know they make a good product. 

That's about how much difference was in mine when I replaced all eleven the annual before last. I found taxi and landings to be smoother. The (upside down) dates in the old pucks were 9/69 . . .

• 2 years later...

Just did mine. The tail went up by three to four inches.  Ride is better overall.  More noticeable than the ride is that the plane just rattles less and feels more stable and solid.  My old ones on the mains had no date but the nose was 1991.:blink:

IMG_4220.JPG

• Like 2

Please enlighten me...does this date stamp mean these pucks were mfg in 2014?

c949609f4b2e7fa10fcd79c1b18eb938.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It the numbers to the right of the "M" that has the month and year code. Can't see it on your photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ah...makes sense now.  Looks like these were mfg in Oct 2000 then.
*Sorry for the inverted pictures
IMG_4288.thumb.JPG.697675842a257eea4234f72382385c64.JPG

Yep that sounds right. I'm at the airport and will check mine to make sure. I had mine replaced in 2013 or 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro