LED landing & taxi light GE 4509 1/2 cost consideration

RocketAviator

Stupid question here but to change from a standard incandescent light to an LED is it only a bulb change or is there more of a conversion required? Also does anyone know the size required for a 77' J?

I recently purchased one for my 77' J and it is a PAR 46 not a 36.

Stupid question here but to change from a standard incandescent light to an LED is it only a bulb change or is there more of a conversion required? Also does anyone know the size required for a 77' J?

Either the Whelen, or the Alphabeam are drop in replacements with no other equipment, alterations or paperwork. They are both certified and legal. I have the Whelen and really like it. The Alpha wasn't available when I bought, but had it been, I would have gone that route. It really is a little better. I bought primarily for collision avoidance rather than night flying, but I have used it at night and it does the job as well as the incandescent did.

• 2 months later...

Your J should take a PAR 36; my C takes the larger PAR 46 bulb, about the size of the saucers I never use with my coffee cup. I think the "36" and "46" are the number of eighth-inches in the diameter, so PAR 36 should be 4½" across, and the PAR 46 should be 5¾" across. That sounds about right for mine; maybe it's the size of a salad plate?

Correct.  Take the par # and divide by 8.

Par 36 = 4.5 inches

Par 46 = 5.75 inches

-Seth