m20J cruising altitude

teethdoc

29 minutes ago, M20F said:

I fly my Executive at FL250 the J doesn't even have a cool name.  201 what is that compared to Super, Ranger, Master, or the all powerful Executive.  Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

Allegro is the name of the J...

I concede but to my defense I didn't start the thread. It's Friday night and how high can you go? I will say that Napoleon flew or rather drove a Cirrus model chariot that had a dark ages retro fit non PMA or DOT approved braking system because it would flip over in steep turns without it. Regardless of your chariot what do you guys "feel" about altitude. We all fly the same wing regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, INA201 said:

I concede but to my defense I didn't start the thread. It's Friday night and how high can you go? I will say that Napoleon flew or rather drove a Cirrus model chariot that had a dark ages retro fit non PMA or DOT approved braking system because it would flip over in steep turns without it. Regardless of your chariot what do you guys "feel" about altitude. We all fly the same wing regardless.

All things being equal (winds mainly) the altitude where you develop cruise power settings.  In a turbo that is going to need to factor time to climb/descend but for NA the math is pretty simple. 

Thought I would revive this thread from 2013. I don't have O2 but curious how many of us M20J guys have oxygen at their disposal? Have you guys climbed just to see how high it will go and what performance do you guys see when there? I'm typically a below 10,000 feet flyer but just curious.  I want to try the limits of the J at some point. 

I always carry oxygen as you never know when you'll need it. Will sometimes use O2 in the 8K-10K range as well since it reduces fatigue.

I generally cruise at 3,500' - 15,000' depending on winds. Disregarding winds 7,500' - 9,500' is my preference.

There's an old thread "time to climb" in which I made a climb to FL180 and was still making 305 fpm (flying light btw).

When the pup is with me (often) I keep it below 10k if at all possible since he doesn't have a hood (yet).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

And no turbo. True at about 145kts but fuel burn is in the 6.5 range. Only if topping weather or to get big tail winds or in this case crossing Lake Michigan in December at night when you can't go around do to weather and you don't want to go swimming in 35f water at night.

818e98014d7ddda774f292d7d191eec0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And no turbo. True at about 145kts but fuel burn is in the 6.5 range. Only if topping weather or to get big tail winds or in this case crossing Lake Michigan in December at night when you can't go around do to weather and you don't want to go swimming in 35f water at night.

818e98014d7ddda774f292d7d191eec0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool.

I usually cruise my C between 7500 and 10,000; went to 11,000 once due to mountain wave passing AVL going home to WV from Sun n Fun.

Grabbed a CFII and oxygen bottle, climbed slowly to 15,000 once just before heading to Yellowstone as a noob. It was a hot August afternoon, I later calculated DA was 18,800. Controls were pretty mushy, don't remember IAS. Decided that is outside my comfort zone; climbing to 11,000 with incentive was pretty slow.

• Like 1

Took the Remos to ~14,500' once but had to terminate the climb due to shivering as we had the doors off. Had a SWA737 pass underneath us on approach to Houston Intercontinental. 076de2e1a0803bf57158bec81018e987.jpg

• Like 1

I took the M20C to 14.5k' on the way back from Ohio to enjoy a good tailwind.  I was flying solo on a work trip.

find @cnoe's thread about the time to climb.  It should be interesting.  Lots of people posted their data...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M20F said:

I fly my Executive at FL250 the J doesn't even have a cool name.  201 what is that compared to Super, Ranger, Master, or the all powerful Executive.  Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

image.thumb.jpeg.0a6948a51ce4c18cd5605e2f3f8d8c92.jpeg

no fair you are cheating with a turbo :D

12500 is the highest I've been in my Money.  Maybe I will go higher some day.