Just Say No To Ramp Check?

N33GG

Let's end the bickering now gentlemen.

How about we do this, for those of us that find ourselves in the unusual and rare position of undergoing a ramp check, one half go along and comply with the inspectors requests while the other half duke it out with him or her. Let's tally up the results and see which approach is best - being cooperative or combative.

Personally, I don't think one way or the other is "best" all the time and for all people. One thing I hopefully have not done in any of my posts is recommend a course of action for anyone. I've tried in my "contributions" to the thread to provide general information. What one does with the information is that person's choice, not mine.

Having dealt with the FAA and law enforcement in various situations, the best I can say about what I would do is that I have a decent understanding of my rights and their authority and that I won't know what I would do in  particular situation until the situation occurs.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Do you know anyone who tosses out their maintenance records after 1 year and thereby lowers the resale value of their airplanes?

Or are you suggesting you only need to produce those portions of your aircraft logbook that show 1 year's worth of maintenance and current inspections and only those portions of your pilot logbook that show currency and can withhold the rest? If so, I'll have to disagree with you. I'm guessing so would the FAA and NTSB in the ensuing certificate suspension proceedings.

Or are you suggesting you intentionally lie to the FAA about having those things?

yes

• Like 1

This is the most exhausting thread I've ever read. Anyone else feel the same?

N6719N, I blame you for this. Next time just ask who likes pizza, make a poll, and be done with it.

But seriously, sorry your inquiry turned into this. It should have been a good discussion.

• Like 1

I guess you're willing to take the risk of facing federal felony prosecution; most others aren't.

Not sure if I'm in the minority or majority on this, but given the choice to comply with a simple request or challenge it and have to pay tens of thousands for an attorney, I'd choose compliancy and walk away with my tail between my legs.

This is the most exhausting thread I've ever read. Anyone else feel the same?

N6719N, I blame you for this. Next time just ask who likes pizza, make a poll, and be done with it.

But seriously, sorry your inquiry turned into this. It should have been a good discussion.

No problem, I am used to being blamed for lots of things.  :)

MooneySpace is one strange microcosm.  That's all I have to say about that...

I guess you're willing to take the risk of facing federal felony prosecution; most others aren't.

I'm saying get a good lawyer, and proceed with caution about releasing records in an investigation.  Don't automatically hand over everything you have.   Short of a subpoena, it's negotiable.

You guys can do what you want. However, consider the opinion of someone who went through this and won.

You guys can do what you want. However, consider the opinion of someone who went through this and won.

Byron,

Did you post the details of your encounter with them and I missed it. If you can share, I would be interested in what brought on the fight, the steps involved and the outcome.

Byron,

Did you post the details of your encounter with them and I missed it. If you can share, I would be interested in what brought on the fight, the steps involved and the outcome.

..and then I'd like to hear the real story from his attorney. The client's perspective on the process is often very different from the attorney's

Only kidding. If a client asked me to discuss his case on a public forum, I'd decline.

On logs, the answer is simple: Don't carry them on board.  Then, if you're ramp checked, and if the inspector asks for them, you can truthfully say you don't have them with you.  If he still wants to see them, you can produce them (or selected portions of them, like your last flight review and last annual) at an agreeable time in the future.  No need to argue that you don't want to produce them now even though you have them now, and no need to lie to the inspector (which is, as mentioned a few times already, a federal felony).  There's rarely a good reason to carry either aircraft or pilot logs (unless you're a student pilot), and plenty of reasons not to.

• Like 2