WAAS System failing

Barry

Well, one of the 2 WAAS satellites will be dead in a very short time. I wonder how quickly they will respond to get the system back to spec. Don't pull out your VOR equipment, yet ...

"

Because GEO signals will be single string, there may be service interruptions if the GEO uplink stations switch from primary to backup. These switchovers are rare events, but if one occurs it may take up to 5 minutes to fully restore LPV service.

The impending failure of this satellite—which only affects WAAS signals—comes at a time when there are questions about the regular GPS constellation. The U.S. Government Accountability Office has said that many of the older satellites currently in use could reach the end of their operational life faster than they can be replenished, resulting in a drop below the number of satellites needed to meet some GPS users’ needs, as early as this year. "

Okay, relax the sky is not falling.  Here's the rest of the story and we have three not two satellites with the WAAS transponders in orbit:

"G-15 is one of three GEOs currently in orbit that provide WAAS services (see accompanying graphic) and provides the farthest coverage west across much of the Pacific Ocean. In terms of absolute U.S. service coverage, WAAS signal unavailability will only occur at 16 airports in northwestern Alaska"

Source: http://www.insidegnss.com/node/2030

Brian

Actually, only 1 WAAS feed remains:

WAAS satellite failure cuts signal to one

One of two satellites providing Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) coverage is experiencing technical issues and will soon discontinue its broadcast. The FAA does not anticipate any immediate impact to service, but the remaining satellite will be the only one broadcasting the WAAS signal in space; WAAS users may experience temporary service outages due to lack of redundant geostationary satellite (GEO) signals if a switch between the primary and backup GEO uplink stations occurs.

Source: AOPA Online

Got it, but there are still TWO satellites in orbit with the second one expected to be certified and operational by December.  Yes that means only one current FEED is online and I expect NOTAMS to let us know if and when they have to switch from primary to backup.  Five minutes is really not a lot of time to switch over.  Love AOPA, but they kinda just glanced right over the solution the FAA is working on. 

It may be another two or three years before they can launch another satellite as they aren't exactly sitting on the shelf.

Brian

I actually posted this thread more as a notification ... but from a political side, I DO find it upsetting that the navigation system that we (our country) has pegged for all of us to hang our hat on (all meaning, commercial, private AND military) is hanging so precariously by a thread. I guess I am a belt and suspenders man, but I would have liked to see a spare on on the shelf.

It also makes me wonder about the haste in shutting down legacy systems, which worked very well and were more "cost effective".

We are also entering a time of a peak in solar activity. Experts are saying it will be a "doozy". That most probably will interfere with satellite services or perhaps damaging some of that sensitive equipment floating around out there.

Just my concerns ...