Is a Mooney to much airplane for me?
- I bought a J model with a PPL and 80 hours. Got my IR training and checkride in it, working on Commercial now. A Mooney is a predicable machine that responds quickly to pilot input. Coming from a C172, the transition took about 10 hours for a complex sign-off...mostly for the insurance requirements.
How tricky are they to land?
- The J lands at almost the same speed as a C172 w/ no flaps. It's the sight picture of the low-wing that is harder to get used to. Landing isn't tricky, but it's very speed dependend...come in fast and you'll float and land long...come in on the numbers, and you'll land no problem.
How hard will it be to transition to?
-I found it relatively easy coming from a C172 with a fixed prop. Remember flows, checklists, and the gear...always remember the gear.
How reliable are they?
- In my 2 years of ownership, I haven't had any major issues. Your results may vary based on previous history and storage location of the airplane you purchase.
How safe are they?
- One of the main reasons I bought a Mooney. It's a steel roll-cage surrounded by an airplane. If you look at NTSB reports, Mooney has a better ratio of injury vs. fatal per accident.
How expensive to insure and maintain?
- Varies by model, year, previous maintenance, etc.